SCS General Discussion Thread

jarryed

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#19201 Post by jarryed » 17 Aug 2022 16:04

The problem is that people take his word as gospel. Then when SCS doesn't deliver based on what he says it just throws a bunch of heat and anger against SCS.

For the record the meaning of abhorrent is: inspiring disgust and loathing; repugnant.
Meaning of pathetic is: miserably inadequate; of very low standard.

If you found something aggressive in my post then that is on you.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
Optional Features

#19202 Post by Optional Features » 17 Aug 2022 16:06

jarryed wrote: 17 Aug 2022 16:04 The problem is that people take his word as gospel. Then when SCS doesn't deliver based on what he says it just throws a bunch of heat and anger against SCS.
Yeah, agreed. I try not to watch him in general. I get my dose of speculation from the forum.
oldmanclippy

#19203 Post by oldmanclippy » 17 Aug 2022 16:16

Speculation is very fun as long as you don't start to get high on your own supply. You have to separate what the primary sources have said, from what secondary sources have said interpreting the primary sources. If the secondary source you're citing has lost its connection back to the primary source, then you're doing something wrong. You need to be able to separate expectations created by the devs, vs expectation created by the players by hyping themselves up from what the devs said. There's an important distinction.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Dareus

#19204 Post by Dareus » 17 Aug 2022 16:20

AP 101 is one of many channels that is passionate and hard-working in our community. Even though his content might be 'speculation' or 'news', it still takes work!

The non-stop assumption of him "being favoured" or us "being friends" with him is completely misplaced and I personally do not understand where this is coming from. There are several content creators I am in contact with equally, and rarely there is an instance of me focusing my attention on a single channel. If you personally do not fancy the content he creates and puts his effort into, you are completely entitled to your opinion, but there is no need to instantly jump on this train fueled by strong opinions whenever his channel name pops up anywhere.

And fun backstage fact from the production process of this blog, we wanted to give many other content creators the spotlight with this DLC as well. Unfortunately, half of them never came back to me. So, something to keep in mind: the cooperation between the company and the content creators goes both ways.

As I said, we all are entitled to any opinions we want to have, but I would kindly like to ask you to stop making these instant awkward assumptions and be more respectful towards others in the community. It is not nice for the user, nor us for that matter, to read these kinds of comments.
mackintosh

#19205 Post by mackintosh » 17 Aug 2022 17:00

Well, if your customers think you're playing favourites then it's something you should probably think about.
Optional Features

#19206 Post by Optional Features » 17 Aug 2022 17:09

Mainly, I just don't like his style. The clickbait thumbnails; the hype over a tiny detail. Like I said before, it's like turning a mite into a mountain.

I made this as a joke, but the entire channel is like this: someone makes a comment, and now we have a new video!

[ external image ]
oldmanclippy

#19207 Post by oldmanclippy » 17 Aug 2022 17:10

I think the accusations of favoritism are unfair. AP101 gets a lot of views so it makes sense that they get featured. The channel is successful regardless of how some view it.

Usually whenever someone posts an AP101 video here on the forums the reaction is a collective eye-roll, not because some people here simply don't find AP101's content to their taste (although the clickbait-y nature of their videos definitely contributes to that), but because the channel often posts things that are sensationalized or makes premature logical leaps based on evidence that should not be used to extrapolate into the claims the channel makes. The assumption is that it makes life harder for SCS because it sets unrealistic expectations for a relatively large subset of the community. Clearly that's not the case because AP101 keeps getting recognition from SCS, which is fine. Like I said, success is success.

I think it's a very common thing for "mainstream" YouTubers that focus on a particular game/series to be ridiculed by more hardcore fans who typically just stick to forums/message boards. The hardcore Zelda theory community can't stand Zelda theory YouTubers, the Halo story community can't stand channels like HaloFollower, and of course the SCS forum community has a problem with AP101. Part of it is due to the very predictable nerd-purity-test where self-proclaimed hardcore fans look down on people they identify as casuals, but part of it does stem from legitimate grievances where the more casual/mainstream voices often get things wrong in a big way because their ideas aren't tested in the crucible of online dicsussion and debate, but rather belted out from their YouTube soapbox where they can delete comments they don't like and have their ideas essentially go unchallenged. On a forum, every voice is inherently equal. There's no upvote/downvote system to push some ideas to the top and some ideas to the bottom. You have to convince other people the old fashioned way that your idea is good. YouTube, once you accrue a large following you can have your voice be louder than everyone else's, so when someone calls you out on being wrong you can ignore them, safe in the knowledge that your words will be heard farther and wider than their words.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
mackintosh

#19208 Post by mackintosh » 17 Aug 2022 17:12

Honestly, I have no idea who that person is. Or any other streamer. I don't follow their social media endavours. What I do see however is that people are often angry or annoyed about SCS getting cosy with some content creators. Seeing how that is causing some ire with their customer base, perhaps it's something they should reconsider - or maybe have a clear policy on. Just some food for thought. I don't have a horse in this and I hope we can move on.
Optional Features

#19209 Post by Optional Features » 17 Aug 2022 17:27

I believe the popularity of his channel (and speculation channels here) is largely based on a desire for news. A lot of people are hopeful for new features, so anyone appearing to have information becomes immediately more interesting.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#19210 Post by Wolfi » 17 Aug 2022 17:46

That AP dude just found a niche, they can abuse to generate easy income. Yes, it requires work. But it doesn't require nearly as much work as legit content and it actively harms SCS in more ways than 1.
But ehh... whatever floats your boat SCS.. you do you...
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”