SCS General Discussion Thread

Vinnie Terranova

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#29941 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 03 Jun 2023 07:54

JoeAlex23 wrote: 03 Jun 2023 07:45And here we go again...
Well, what do you think has to change in the game in order to get interesting gameplay with rigids? Because the current cargo system is not really an option, right?
Aziz

#29942 Post by Aziz » 03 Jun 2023 08:09

JoeAlex23 wrote: 03 Jun 2023 07:45 And here we go again...
We never stopped, this train has no brakes
Vinnie Terranova wrote: 03 Jun 2023 07:54
JoeAlex23 wrote: 03 Jun 2023 07:45And here we go again...
Well, what do you think has to change in the game in order to get interesting gameplay with rigids? Because the current cargo system is not really an option, right?
As for that, bringing back the infamous blog post
Naturally we need to take care of seamless in-game integration, with physics, economy, loading / unloading places infrastructure...
If all that is not ready, and I doubt it's a priority, you won't see a single rigid, and that's it.
JaDaKa

#29943 Post by JaDaKa » 03 Jun 2023 08:17

Multidrop is the most important.

Then what I would like to see is a denser road network.

a) Would make detours usable
b) Said side roads could lead to small businesses, unmarked in the map but we could offload at their depot.
We start from A then can stop to a few unmarked businesses and end our job B.

I think many smaller trips would not only accommodate rigids but electric trucks as well.

We don't have to make the game tedious but enrich what we have.
Vinnie Terranova

#29944 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 03 Jun 2023 08:22

Aziz wrote: 03 Jun 2023 08:09As for that, bringing back the infamous blog post
Ah, you mean this blog post... Yeah, I can remember this vaguely.

But why start with this tandem rigid? Why not just start with a single rigid with swap body?
MarkON

#29945 Post by MarkON » 03 Jun 2023 10:05

Recently mentioned mysterious depot 2455690 for ETS2 was added to testing senior build :P

Although, unfortunately, the name is still as: "Unknown App" so it limits the field for deciphering :mrgreen: a bit. Anyway, have a nice weekend players and successful testing for testers.
Bandit & The Snowman

#29946 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 03 Jun 2023 10:57

Maybe they’ve learned their lesson and all new depots will be named like that from now on ;)
flight50

#29947 Post by flight50 » 03 Jun 2023 11:03

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 03 Jun 2023 07:18 Well, take for instance a rigid car hauler. The only way to make this interesting is if we can load and unload this rigid car hauler by driving the cars by ourselfes onto and off this car hauler, by raising and lowering the upper deck (or whatever this is called), etc.

But the cargo system we now have only allows us to press <ENTER> and then the cars magically become visible on the car hauler, and if we want to unload the car hauler, we again press <ENTER> and then the cars magically becomes invisible. Now, what's the fun of that? It is so utterly unrealistic...
That's getting wayyy too deep. Most people will not want to sit there and load 8+ vehicles one by one plus lower and raise the trailer parts. Do that 2-3 and the vast majority of people will abandon that loading/unloading process. That's being a real life car hauler at that point. Looking at several videos in the past on how they load these, it's not as easy as it looks. Its not a 10-20 mintue process to do. Asking or expecting SCS to go this far for less than 2-5% of the community, is expecting wayyyyy to much.

People wanting this level will never be content with SCS. Expectations will never be met if thats the case. An overhaul of cargo can be done without needing to go to the extents you described though. Multi drop is about the deepest we could go. That alone requires a massive overhaul. We really just need realistic loading zones based on trailer and the cargo it hauls. Not the opportunity to manually load and unload. That's reaching right there.

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 03 Jun 2023 07:54 Well, what do you think has to change in the game in order to get interesting gameplay with rigids? Because the current cargo system is not really an option, right?
The current cargo system does need an overhaul but loading and unloading ourselves is not the direction SCS will present I'd imagine. If the map was one large city at 1:1, yes I'd agree. There are games that do this already. SCS's niche is 2 entire continents that no one else is doing and skipping to full details of loading/unloading. Australia Truck Sim is the closest but its still not out. That have delayed and delayed. They probably realized it's not as easy as they thought to produce on such a large scale.

We could get loading animation though. That's probably the best we can expect. But your expectations are way to high if you want that level of loading.
Vinnie Terranova

#29948 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 03 Jun 2023 11:19

I know my expectation are too high and we will never get this level of loading/unloading. But I just mentioned it in relation to rigids. If we get rigids like this car hauler, then what can we expect regarding gameplay? Manually loading/unloading is likely not gonna happen in the near or far future. But what else can we hope for? As you said, it might be loading/unloading animations only. But that is not what I would call 'new gameplay'. So I'm hoping that when rigids come, we'll also get some new gameplay mechanics. But at the same time I'm afraid we'll just have some skippable animations, like we got with Special Transport.

Does Truck World: Australia have manual loading/unloading features?
flight50

#29949 Post by flight50 » 03 Jun 2023 11:29

No animation isn't a feature I'd say. But it does provide a compromise to bridge the gap. We might get the loading and unloading process to swap body rigids though. I can see that. But car hauler loading is reaching too much. Only improvement there is probably better trailer, more cargo variety and even going with a true dedicated car hauler itself.

Not enough info is out for Australia Truck Sim yet. No telling what all it will do.
Last edited by flight50 on 03 Jun 2023 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#29950 Post by Mohegan13 » 03 Jun 2023 11:30

The issue with loading & unloading is that it's different everywhere. It's much easier to hide loading/unloading behind a black screen with a clock than it is to add in all the common variants.

The places I've worked have always required us to load and unload not the truck driver. The most the truck driver does is make sure the load is secure for travel.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”