SCS General Discussion Thread

Some newbie driver

Re: SCS General Discussion Thread

#17901 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Jul 2022 23:10

seriousmods wrote: 02 Jul 2022 09:20#bestcommunityever
It's pretty hypocritical you mock about this, when your continuous messages aren't making nothing but to bitter every topic you touch. You have reached the point that you even received a rare (but more than deserved) dry answer from a dev when you recently criticized the auto-wipers. You fill your mouth saying you do it to improve the game for everybody's sake, but in the middle of your rant because "it's not realistic" you forget that this option isn't made only for those who search realism and, by doing it like SCS did, let everybody chose the way they want to play.

And that's just an example of so many. Every time you complain about how much time take SCS to code something, I recall you didn't even know to explain what a graphic API is (a conversation that we had time ago). So, despite how much you pretend it, you are far away to be entitled to judge how much time it takes a feature to be developed.

The game has almost 10 years; as somebody just said to you, the path SCS takes is more than clear. And that's all. Do you say you want things to change; but that isn't accomplished coming here to complain about everything everyday. SCS isn't going to change nothing because you ask it. They have taken their decisions and chose their general roadmap and that's not going to change significantly (as you expect it happen every day) unless lots of players will leave. In the meantime, until that will happen (if ever), SCS will see their design choices validated, no matter how specific players didn't like them.

So, enough is enough
abasstreppas

#17902 Post by abasstreppas » 03 Jul 2022 00:08

I just found a backup of my game files from 2013, game version 1.7.1, if someone need it? :P Maybe @seriousmods wants them to look at, like an educational view of history. SCS do evolve, believe it or not :lol:
55sixxx

#17903 Post by 55sixxx » 03 Jul 2022 00:26

For me, the game as it is right now, is awesome. I'm in a point that I don't need anything else... I would really like to see some things but I can live without them.

If that was not the case, I wouldn't have driven in June, more kilometers that I drove in the entirety of 2021.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

By the way, the day some of the people that love to complain about things match or pass these numbers above, I will completely overlook/turn a blind eye to their incessant spam replies.
Optional Features

#17904 Post by Optional Features » 03 Jul 2022 00:48

abasstreppas wrote: 03 Jul 2022 00:08 I just found a backup of my game files from 2013, game version 1.7.1, if someone need it? :P Maybe @seriousmods wants them to look at, like an educational view of history. SCS do evolve, believe it or not :lol:
I never said they didn't, but they are still on the level of a mobile trucking game for gameplay complexity. And some mobile games actually have more features.

And as I said previously, many old, dated SCS games offered features that these current games don't.

If old SCS was competing against current day SCS, old SCS would be leading by miles on gameplay alone.
PBandJ

#17905 Post by PBandJ » 03 Jul 2022 02:53

If that were true, would you not be happier playing the older SCS games? Asking for a friend....:)
harishw8r

#17906 Post by harishw8r » 03 Jul 2022 06:47

seriousmods wrote: 03 Jul 2022 00:48 And as I said previously, many old, dated SCS games offered features that these current games don't.
(Starts 10 minute timer)

And many users including me tried to explain previously why those features might be complicated to implement right now, as this game takes a totally different direction than the titles you mentioned. And then there you are, ignoring all those and bringing the same things to the table, again and again, in every single thread, to a point where most don’t even take you serious anymore.

For one last time, this game has a certain roadmap and the devs are less likely to change the course no matter whatever tantrums you throw here. Many users here either actually like what the game offers and or understands how SCS works and wait patiently for what they want. There’s a difference between being positively critical and being blindly critical.

I have this doubt too. You always bring FS to compare with ATS and always try to prove FS is a better game, let’s ignore that apple to orange comparison but if you like what FS offers so much why don’t you play FS instead? If you want FS’ features in ATS maybe you should create your own game.

(Time’s up)
JaDaKa

#17907 Post by JaDaKa » 03 Jul 2022 07:08

I really cannot believe how anyone rates FS higher than ETS2/ATS.
The game looks horrible which is enough to overlook any of the positives, whatever these are, as it is unplayable.

Neon trees :ugeek:

[ external image ]

Night time :lol:

[ external image ]

FS has been going on since when? 2008? And that's the best they have come up with? This kills all immersion, I don't care about any boxes you can tie at the trailer and any checks you could do on your truck.

Thank you SCS for providing me with a game I can enjoy.
festmache

#17908 Post by festmache » 03 Jul 2022 07:58

My two cents...

Myself, I'm very happy with the games as they are.
I'm one of the people driving for the relaxing experience more than the die-hard simulation aspect. On top of my personal wishlist for the future? Montana, Texas, maps, maps, maps, maps...

However, I understand why people complain about the simulation aspect.
For me, and other players like me, more simulation/gameplay features are not on top of the priority list. However, the game is called a simulator and I completely understand why people would expect SCS to focus on simulation/gameplay features as well as just more content. I see a lot of legitimate critique and good suggestions on this forum.

What I really don't like, is the fierce tone of the debate.
Like most of you, I play these games for fun. I also visit this forum for fun. I think it's legitimate and even constructive that people use this forum to express their criticism or wishes for the future. However, I really don't like that some people seem only interested in telling over and over again that SCS is a bad company and these games suck. If you really hate SCS that much, why not just abandon the game, leave this forum and find something which you do like.

On the other hand, when people do express fair criticism in a respectful tone, I also don't like that some people immediately downplay this criticism with remarks like "just have more patience" or "you're asking for too much". These replies keep coming back and I don't think that helps anyone.

Let's all keep our tone mild and friendly, and give fellow players room to express their concerns. (And for those people who have nothing constructive to say except bashing SCS, ignoring their constant stream of negativity might be best.)

Happy trucking everyone! 🚛
vanilla player, loving ETS2, loving ATS even more! | 🇳🇱 🇪🇺
Map with all cities | Personal cabin accessories

[ external image ]
pigbrother

#17909 Post by pigbrother » 03 Jul 2022 08:09

festmache wrote: 03 Jul 2022 07:58 What I really don't like, is the fierce tone of the debate.
Unfortunately, this seems the norm nowadays not only on this forum. I've been here for a while but I really can't recall somebody saying the games are perfect as they are, we all have problems with many aspects. I do have a lot of those, some were addressed at one point, some were not and probably never will be, but in the end it's just a bloody game, entertainment, leisure time, whatever. It's not a lifestyle, it's nothing important really. And this Karen attitude really bothers me to no end, I'm pretty fed up with this forum at this point.

P.S. Oh, yeah, and if somebody tries to tell me the same old "I've paid X money, I want a good ROI"... well, shove it, I've paid 20€ for a movie night at least 10 times and the movies were a steampile of dong, what's your point. Insert "first time?" meme.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
Optional Features

#17910 Post by Optional Features » 03 Jul 2022 08:15

@JaDaKa Well, the pics you show are from what appears to be a default map with default textures and lighting.

FS isn't a game that you play for graphics, but default graphics aren't nearly as good as what some people have managed to come up with.

And FS supports things (by default) like shadow lights that improve graphics significantly when implemented. You don't appear to have that on, or those lights don't have the feature enabled.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

I took these all today, and they look far better than what you are showing.

That said, even without graphic improvements, what I like about FS, and what I would like to see implemented in SCS games is the ability for me as a player or modder to 1. have an impact on the game world and 2. to be able to add new features to the game with mods.

Neither of those things are really possible now.

For the first point, I mean things like buyable land and customizeable yards. Right now, there are like a dozen people, maybe 50, in the ATS community who can build their own yards and do so well.

In the FS community, every player can build a yard in game using tools in the game that allow the player to make simple changes to the terrain, change ground textures, or add a building or a fence.

This is my current farm on about 100 acres. It started out as a field: now I have crop storage, a decorative fence and mailbox, a small trailer for sleeping, and some various bits of junk in the yard. Obviously, this isn't a space for a trucking company, but I have previously built a truck yard with the same system. It's flexible, allows freedom, and gives each player a sense of accomplishment in what they built. It's not a copy-paste garage that all but 1% of the playerbase is using.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

The second thing I would like to see is freedom to modify the game from the outside. I understand that the SCS dev team has different priorities from mine, but many of the things I would like to see in game are relevant to the trucking industry. And at this point, all of them are impossible. But in Farming Sim, they are somehow not impossible, not because someone at GIANTS wanted, expected, or desired them to be possible, but because they left the gate open so to speak and modders took that opportunity and ran with it.

SCS mods with rare exceptions are tweaks of existing game features or visual eye candy (like a truck or trailer). They add nothing to gameplay in almost all cases.

On the contrary, many of the features included in FS22 came from scripters working on their own time. Forestry was once a mod. Seasons was a mod. Vehicle dirt was a mod. Passenger mode was a mod. And now terrafarm, the ability to dig with heavy equipment anywhere in a map, is a mod that'll almost certainly become a feature later on.

The ability to improve the game via script has allowed people playing FS to make the game do all kinds of things the devs never could have imagined and never will support.

It's also the reason that concepts that would best be implemented in ATS end up becoming more functional in FS, a game that was never designed to be a trucksim.

This trailer is a great example: basically the same style of trailer in both games. The ATS one is limited by SCS code, so it cannot be separated to unload, has no independently controllable hydraulics, and is only able to haul the things designated by the mod creator.

[ external image ]

The FS version is basically a virtual version of the real thing. Ride height, rear steering, and other functions can be independently controlled with mouse functions, and the trailer is a blank canvas designed to haul whatever can fit on the deck. Some friends and I were opening up a mine on a map, and we needed to bring several large machines to the pit. We broke the trailer down, drove them on, hauled them across the map, took the trailer apart, and drove them off.

[ external image ]

There are other examples of this which I won't discuss in excruciating detail, but I can show pics.

Log trucks:

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Dump trucks and trailers:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Chip trucks:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Aussie Road trains:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

European trucks:
[ external image ]

I enjoy ATS's long distance drives, but at the end of the drive, I'd like the option to do more than press E, then enter regardless of what I'm hauling. And if that won't come via SCS, it should be able to come by mod.

But with all the restrictions in place now, it can't even be done by mod.
Last edited by Optional Features on 03 Jul 2022 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”