East Coast Speculation Thread

flight50

Re: East Coast Speculation Thread

#141 Post by flight50 » 25 Feb 2021 14:28

Delaware definitely gets bundled. In fact I think everything in this region has a 90% chance of 2-4 state bundles. New York and Pennsylvania are the only exceptions. Its possible they come solo but I think at least 1 smaller state will come with them.

[ external image ]

-Pennsylvania + New Jersey
-South Carolina + North Carolina
-West Virginia + Virginia + Maryland + Delaware
-New York + Connecticut + Massachusetts + Rhode Island
- Vermont + New Hampshire + Maine
J. Ritter

#142 Post by J. Ritter » 25 Feb 2021 20:28

Going back to some discussion about North Carolina I saw a couple of pages ago: I think most of the major cities can appear, they will need to be done how the Seattle area or SLC areas are done, IMO. Winston-Salem should not be merged in Greensboro, it is its own place with its own identity, and a decent-sized city:

[ external image ]

Now I do think parts of High Point could be merged into either city (all three are called the "Triad", and Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill are the "Triangle"). I think it will be tight, but there should be room for Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Durham, and Raleigh. Chapel Hill could be merged, but maybe I feel that way because I am Duke fan, haha. Also the city of Burlington could have a delivery point for Durham or maybe Greensboro. But honestly, it staying urban on I-40 not too long after descending the mountains is pretty spot-on. Once you leave Asheville, pass over Black Mountain and pass the Statesville area, the cities just keep coming, with very little breaks between them, much like how it feels to drive Olympia-Tacoma-Seattle-Everett or Provo-SLC-Ogden in-game. There's not too much of a gap on 85 coming out of Charlotte, either, especially once you hit Salisbury.

I think the best bets for the rural scenery in NC will be centered around US/Interstate 74 from Charlotte to Wilmington, lots of Eastern NC flavor along that route - I can already taste the Vinegar BBQ sauce, served on the side of course! And actually, US-74 in the western part of the state as well, from Waynesboro to Murphy and on to Chattanooga via Cleveland TN. Twisty through the Nantahahla and Ocoee gorges, but 4-lane and freeway the rest of the way, and absolutely beautiful. I'd take this route when I would go to Chattanooga from Charlotte to avoid the headache that is Knoxville when taking I-40 through the Pigeon River Gorge, known colloquially just as "The Gorge."

It's funny, actually. Though the mountains out west are bigger, the current DLC states in my mind give me an idea of how they will look over here. When I would take US 74, it reminded me so much of driving US 2 in WA in ATS. And though it's much bigger than anything in NC, taking Glenwood Canyon in CO reminds me so much of driving "The Gorge."
SmokeyWolf

#143 Post by SmokeyWolf » 25 Feb 2021 21:40

@J. Ritter I agree with your plan for NC. WS needs to be seperate. Might be able to squeeze Mebane in.
flight50

#144 Post by flight50 » 25 Feb 2021 21:45

I can buy Winston-Salem not being merged. Both I-40 and I-85 should make the game. Winston-Salem could slide West by 3-4 game miles if need be to give I-85 and I-40 space to run parallel. Irl, the distance between Winston-Salem and Greensboro is just shy of 30 miles. That's the bubble I speculate. Doesn't mean that is what SCS does, its just my personal observation. Not to mention, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Durham nor Raleigh are huge cities. Not compared to Charlotte, that is. I'd make Charlotte around the size of Denver or SLC. Absorb some of the suburbs. For Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Durham and Raleigh, I'd do them around the size of lets say St. George, UT since I am using Utah references. I-40 snakes thru NC pretty nicely. SCs can use those curves to their advantage and spread cities out a tad more if there are no conflicts with an adjacent city. The biggest thing I look for with NC is coming in a bundle, lol.

Looking ahead, I'm going to be excited to see Georgia for a few reasons. 1) makes our first C2C connection 2) Atlanta......I haven't been in real life but its on by bucket list to visit. Chances are I'll get there before SCS does though 3) the road network. Ohh man do the roads branch out of Atlanta. I-20, I-75, I-85. Its a 6 legged star as they connect to near by large cities that are not too far. They are so close that we might only get 1-2 scenic towns in between. Each of those Interstates connects to I-285 which will be a must have ring road to get all 3 of those other Interstate in and out of Atlanta. No scale issues so SCS should be able to enlarge I-285 a bit to have good room to get those interchanges in because they will definitely take up space. If they can get DFW to work, they can get Atlanta to work.
SmokeyWolf

#145 Post by SmokeyWolf » 25 Feb 2021 21:56

But those cities have a lot of industry to offer. I load out of Greensboro, Raleigh, Durham, and Winston Salem on a regular basis as I live a couple hours from each.

Technically Raleigh and Durham can be combined as one city as most call it Raleigh-Durham anyway.
supersobes
Global moderator

#146 Post by supersobes » 25 Feb 2021 22:00

Atlanta has the worst traffic of all the cities in the southeast. Because of that, they have a really interesting and complex road network. They have lots of multilane roads and unique interchanges. IIRC, trucks aren't allowed inside the I-285 loop unless they are making a local delivery. Even if SCS leaves out everything inside of I-285, Atlanta would still have a really good road network in ATS.
J. Ritter

#147 Post by J. Ritter » 25 Feb 2021 22:06

Atlanta will be interesting. I am looking forward to the Southeast in general. I grew up in NW GA, lived in Alabama, Atlanta, Charlotte, and now Chattanooga (which is pretty much where I grew up, but was on the Georgia side of things). I'm excited to see what will be. I hope Dalton gets thrown in. "Carpet capital of the world," and it is slammed full of industry.

Atlanta - I envision an approach similar to ETS2 cities, actually. Since all through truck traffic is confined to 285, I can see spurs coming off it to serve industries, and maybe a road or two into town to serve locally. The concentration will probably be down around the Airport, up above it on Fulton Industrial Blvd on the west side, and out toward Gwinnett county. Lots of industry and warehouses.

Alabama will have steel. It's not as prevalent as it once was, but is still a large industry. The Mercedes plant in Vance would great too. SCS can do like it is done in real life and call it "Tuscaloosa," since they stretched their city limits out 20 miles or so to "capture" the plant, haha.

I don't think it will be overlooked, but that being said, I really hope Chattanooga gets its due. It is small, but quite a crossroads in itself. If you draw an "X" between Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, and Knoxville, Chattanooga lies dead center pretty much. Two major trucking companies, Covenant and US Xpress are headquartered here, and though now the focus is tourism, it is still quite the industrial city.

Actually I made a map of Chattanooga showing some potential locations. This is not an "all of these should be there" map, but more of "here are some things to pick from" kind of map. It still needs some work, and is unfinished. Click on the icons and check the legend for more info!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 52149&z=13

EDIT: Wanted to add - Forestry is actually a big deal here too. It's big here in the northern parts of AL and GA, but is really big in the southern parts of the states and the coastal areas of the Carolinas. No dramatic mountain roads, but endless stands of pines in arrow-straight rows, and big paper mills along the rivers and coasts. Those endless pine stands can actually get maddening when coming home from Florida, haha. Feels like hours of passing the same tree.
flight50

#148 Post by flight50 » 25 Feb 2021 23:28

J. Ritter wrote: 25 Feb 2021 22:06 I hope Dalton gets thrown in. "Carpet capital of the world," and it is slammed full of industry.
Noted. I'm all about ICC's. I'm gonna make sure I talk about this a when the time comes. If Texas brings cotton, that sets up the textile industry. Soooo much can happen with cotton, wool and other fibers. I know other Southern states also produce lots of cotton. We get food, personal use and basic needs like clothing. Cotton also sets up clothing stores in ATS. Who know, we might get lucky and get a mall in ATS like the Mall of Americas in Minnesota. With livestock coming with Wyoming, hopefully someday sheep will be part of that. We can use the byproduct wool for carpet. Carpet wise all we need is at least one manufacturer though. We can haul to places like Walbert, Home Store, Olton Homes, export to rail depots and to ports. By the time we get to Georgia, I'm sure there will be other depots we could haul carpet to. Textiles is a great reason to do more than just Walbert and Home store. Lowes, Target, Sam's, Costco and one of my wishes is Floor and decor. The materials in and out of that place is definitely truck worth. We also have to have enough coming in too though.

Between Chattanooga and Dalton is 31 miles. Just enough space to make it a small mapped city. Worst case, push Dalton a tad more South to give Chattanooga more space. Dalton is right off I-75 so it can't get missed. It can't have a depot tagged to Chattanooga because its a different state and Atlanta is too far away at 89 miles. Marietta gets absorbed by Atlanta so that could put Dalton in a nice spot to be mapped. Getting something in Northern Georgia would be nice though. Northeast of Atlanta between I-75 and I-85 looks like a mess of US roads. We'll need something in that area. We have the Chattanooga National Forest, Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Nantahala National Forest that can be quite scenic I'm sure. I haven't looked. We have a spider web of roads that can fill in between
I-75, I-85, I-26 and I-40. US-23, US-76 and US-74 works for me. 74 comes out of Chattanooga, 23 out of Atlanta and 76 out of Dalton. If I want to go from Chattanooga to Charlotte, I just might want to take the scenic route and go US-74 to I-40. If I want to go to Knoxville from Atlanta, I might want to take US-23 to I-40 for scenery. If Spartanburg and/or Greenville are in and I want to get to Dalton, I might want the scenic route and go US-76. Each of these US roads bypasses a big city if you want.
SmokeyWolf

#149 Post by SmokeyWolf » 26 Feb 2021 00:09

If going to Knoxville from Atlanta 75 is a straight shot. 23 to 40 makes no sense at all.
flight50

#150 Post by flight50 » 26 Feb 2021 01:04

I'm sure I noted......if I wanted to take the scenic route. Scenic doesn't have to make sense. Its about the route, not the time saved. I don't want to take Interstates all the time if I don't have to. I want to take backroads. For me, Interstates are not as interesting. You can't drive I-70 in Colorado and Utah all day. I love the stop and go on US and state roads. I like the twist and turn and the elevation changes. Gives be a reason to go thru my gears and jake. Backroads also literally keeps me awake more times than not vs Interstate driving. When I play ATS, its when I am already fatigued and trying to wind down.

Return to “General discussion about the game”