Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team???

Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team for both games?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 297

Optional Features

Re: Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team???

#331 Post by Optional Features » 31 May 2022 05:56

SCS should be selling bi-monthly cargo packs as part of the cargo pool. Small equipment, construction supplies, lumber, big equipment, wind power, garbage and recycling, food, etc.

Each of these could be about $5-$10 and be sourced from models that cover the map.

We shouldn't have to beg for cargo: cargo should be an incredibly diverse part of a very diverse game.

As for what gt379 said, if truckers aren't hauling cargo to look at it, why are there facebook groups dedicated to truckers showing off their loads?

I'd say these guys are pretty darn proud of what they move.

This is from one of those groups, all posted in the last 3 days.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
plykkegaard

#332 Post by plykkegaard » 31 May 2022 06:17

SCS has had some licensing issues lately related to examples above until this is sorted don't get your hopes up
I assume we are limited to unmarked cargo such as crates, barrels, bags or non visible cargo atm but this could ok for variety

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Mic_2

#333 Post by Mic_2 » 31 May 2022 07:40

Viper28 wrote: 31 May 2022 05:45 my position: outside of a few features that are simply far too complex, the bar should always be TOWARD realism...realizing that realism takes time and costs money (as it should) and for those afraid/bothered by realism...here's your nifty little box to click to deactivate it...and/or don't but the content dlc.
I hear this stance from time to time here, and I disagree. SCS is a business and it needs to maintain it's game. The biggest selling points of the game are the fact that it is relatively cheap and runs well on slower PC's. This brings in a lot of customers that are willing to pay that bit to play the game. When you make it more and more focussed on realism, that has to be payed somehow. Farming simulator, which some like to compare it to, is selling a new 40 euro title every 2 or 3 years. This means that they can earn a lot more money from a similarly sized customer base.

SCS currently simply doesn't have the funds to focus a lot more on realism. Another potential issue is that when they focus on realism, a part of the customer base is going to leave because they feel the game is no longer fun for them. SCS constantly needs to balance between people that want more realism and those that don't want it, and don't want to spend money on it. I'm not attacking your desire for more realims here, but mainly explaining why someone's desire doesn't always translate in a good decision game-wise
Viper28 wrote: 31 May 2022 05:45 I'm sorry gt379 but that comment above doesn't make much sense. So since in real life a truck driver doesn't haul loads to look at, the game doesn't really need to devote consistent attention to diverse cargo development. And apparently, because a trailer pack isn't a cargo pack a trailer pack can only be trailers? I submit that a well done trailer pack, can and should include a robust variety of new cargoes 6-8 and should be priced accordingly...I'm willing to pay more if the content is more substantial. Nobody anywhere codifies that a trailer pack can't also be a combined cargo pack. Outside of the developer, and yes, hey if that's their decision, that's the their decision...albeit not a very innovative and economically efficient one in my opinion.
I'm all for more cargo, but I don't think a trailer dlc is the best place to introduce it. First of all, cargo should be packed separately. 2 small DLC's are a better option than one big one. If people only want the cargo, let them pay only for that. Same for the trailers. If you would say that it doesn't have to increase the cost, than the cargo might as well be part of a free update. This second option would be my preference, but 3D cargo takes time and money to develop, and probably also involves some licensing, so I understand why that type of cargo would be in a separate pack.
plykkegaard

#334 Post by plykkegaard » 31 May 2022 08:42

Mic_2 wrote: 31 May 2022 07:40 Another potential issue is that when they focus on realism, a part of the customer base is going to leave because they feel the game is no longer fun for them.
Please, current game version supports a wide range of aftermarket products to support realistic game play including VR
These options can be put side or disabled completely

The same can be done for other aspects of the game, eg fatique, airbrakes, advanced coupling, gear systems etc

Heck you can get mods to support more realistic game play

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Mic_2

#335 Post by Mic_2 » 31 May 2022 09:20

It kind of depends. Thankfully, a lot of them are options that can be enabled or disabled, and it should stay that way in the future. There are however 2 potential issues:

1: new players can feel overwhelmed by the amount of options, and find it hard to find the correct options or settings. I personally don't think this is a problem, even with the somewhat congested and at times confusing settings menus, but there will always be people that find some things confusing and off-putting

2: some suggestions, admittingly often times the worst ones, apply in a way that they force players onto something. If implemented, it should obviously be optional, but my comment was also meant to those kind of suggestions that, by themselves, don't mention being optional.

All in all I admit that the issue of people walking away is probably not the primary concern when deciding which realism aspects to include (cost, time and attention balance are probably more important) but it should always be taken into consideration when making a suggestion how this might effect people that don't like the feature someone suggests.

As for mods, they are made by the community, and can be used by players that like them. Mods don't have to consider nearly as many aspects as developers (cost, player reaction, bugs, performance, etc.)
plykkegaard

#336 Post by plykkegaard » 31 May 2022 09:39

Default game play is a very simple configuration to be used by keyboard only
You add extra options or mods to enhance your epxerience

More simple approach than this youare looking for console games
As you need to setup the keyboard configuration to your preferences

SabR

#337 Post by SabR » 31 May 2022 09:45

I'm all for balancing between arcade & simulation but there are times when I feel this whole balancing act is what's making SCS move at the pace they are which is frustrating for a few.

My vote is in favour but new cargoes mean SCS needs more 3d modellers. Did we ever come across any count of how many of them are at SCS? Isn't it possible that due to the lack in the vehicle team (assuming they handle cargoes as well), the progress on various 3d models is slow as duck?
VTXcnME

#338 Post by VTXcnME » 31 May 2022 21:34

Folks who build the prefabs, trailers, and trucks (I believe) are the same 3d modelers.

So yes- to make more cargo- folks would have to shift from the above listed groups to cargo modeling. But the good news, like has already been pointed out, a lot of cargos exist already on the map. All that would need to be done is convert them so they'd be suitable for flat deck/lowboy/step deck trailers. I don't think it's a big task. But sure- it would take modelers away from other tasks.

Unless SCS goes the paid cargo dlc route- I don't anticipate them moving modelers to cargo. Despite the glaring need for a more diverse cargo base.
JoeAlex23

#339 Post by JoeAlex23 » 31 May 2022 22:13

AFAIK, the prefabs are made by the Assets Team, the Vehicle team does trucks, trailers, AI vehicles, any accessories for the trucks and trailers (lights, wheels, tires, tuning packs, etc.) and visible cargos for both games.
flight50

#340 Post by flight50 » 31 May 2022 23:51

^This is my understanding as well. If it involves wheels or cargo, its the vehicle team. All other assets is basically a branch of the map team. What we need is an asset team for the vehicle team in which they'd work cargo. I am sure the same modelers for the asset team have the skill to make cargo. Cargo imho is a job that external talent can be hired for. I don't think one needs to move to Prague to build cargo.

Return to “General discussion about the game”