Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team???

Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team for both games?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 297

Viper28

Re: Should SCS have a dedicated cargo team???

#301 Post by Viper28 » 15 May 2022 05:43

LudoModding wrote: 28 Apr 2022 22:00 I understand your point of view, it's not even the lack of variety of freight that bothers me, it's clearly where we have to load them or where we have to go to deliver them ;) sometimes it doesn't make sense.

Delivered cattle in ATS to a supermarket lol the good joke , same for wood chips delivered this cargo in a supermarket or a gas station lol again .
yes! the food tank is particularly egregious; delivering to stores and distribution centers rather than packaging and bottling/processing plants.

Also, when it comes to why there aren't more options. Because, this really would need a dedicated team; there are so many potential opportunities even within the constraints of the game right now when it comes to cargo that they could easily fill the time of a dedicated team. THEY NEED TO MONETIZE THIS GAME MORE!. I get it; you can't fund a dedicated team unless the funds are there, well let them produce products alongside maps that do fund themselves. CONSISTENT CARGO PACKS! Features could expand the nodes of cargo and GO BEYOND TRAILER CARGOES TO INCLUDE BUILDINGS!

**example: I mentioned the food tanker; how about introducing a intermediate node of prefabs that take the raw product and produce a package product to be picked up and delivered by reefers?!** And that's just for starters! So many other potentials out there.

AND you monetize this; sell it as an addon!!!

Now, if finding the requisite personnel is difficult, I respect that, and that may take time, but to not do this is to LEAVE MONEY ON THE TABLE! This game desperately needs its vision expanded; this content wouldn't even challenge what the engine can currently do! It would merely expand and add LOGIC to some of the cargo nodes and MAKE MORE MONEY FOR SCS! C'mon!

p.s. please don't tell me that the way the game is setup that you can't create addons that include buildings! I really hope the vision for this game isn't that constrained and near-sighted.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
Optional Features

#302 Post by Optional Features » 15 May 2022 07:10

The issue time and again is knowledge. SCS doesn't seem to have any former truckers in their team, any current truckers as consultants, and they don't take tips from the real truckers here.

So all that remains is the research team which seems flawed.

They have so limited themselves to what the game could and should be that it's no wonder why the community isn't expanding. We can only haul the same things the same way so many times before it gets old.
danbywinby

#303 Post by danbywinby » 15 May 2022 07:41

Absolutely 1000% yes SCS should have a dedicated cargo team.

Whether it's one team for both games or one team for each game I do not think it matters that much because several cargos could overlap both games and if they were to make the cargo Modular in some way and separate it from the trailer then that would make it even easier to move between the games.

The thing that annoys me the most is that they have proven that they can do cargo pack DLCs because they've already done it four times:
https://store.steampowered.com/dlc/2708 ... ist/43349/

Each of them came in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021.

2021 was the branded Volvo construction equipment DLC.

In my opinion that pace is too slow, cargo packs should be more like maps with more than one being released a year. When we got the Forest machinery with Washington I hoped it would be the start of each map DLC coming with a new cargo pack DLC. In my opinion this is how it should be to constantly increase the variety of cargo with each map DLC.

If we have a quick look and comparison with cargo pack DLCs for ETS2:
https://store.steampowered.com/dlc/2273 ... ist/43331/

Each of them came in 2014, 2017 (Heavy and Special Transport), 2021

This tells me that in recent years SCS has clearly moved away from the idea of cargo pack DLCs and more to the idea of chasing branded stuff like trailers, trucks and cargo.

Now in my opinion this is the wrong way to be going about this. Cargo variety should not be being sacrificed for the sake of getting real life brands into the game. I would much rather have 20, 30, 40 different cargos that I can haul on a trailer than 1 branded trailer that can only haul 10 cargoes.
Madkine
Global moderator

#304 Post by Madkine » 15 May 2022 08:00

seriousmods wrote: 15 May 2022 07:10 The issue time and again is knowledge. SCS doesn't seem to have any former truckers in their team, any current truckers as consultants,
They have plenty of current and former truckers in their teams.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
VTXcnME

#305 Post by VTXcnME » 15 May 2022 10:22

Hauling cargo is such a big part of driving an 18 wheeler.... I agree that it being such low hanging fruit, it ought be better diversified.

In the current configuration of the game, there is literally no animation needed. It's not like they'd have to animate someone loading and unloading. Just someone to put together the prefab that can be shown already loaded on a flat deck/step deck trailer. With all the work done on animating signal stalks or steering wheel spin, or gauge movement.... it feels like constructing a pre fab cargo unit wouldn't be a big ask. If you are doing pallet cargo, it's even easier! Fertilizer (already existing) could be diversified to mulch pallets, lawn seed, cement bags, wood pellets (from forestry areas) and with a little tinkering roof shingles. One pallet, already existing, with a little work just became 6 different load types. That's without even taking more than 30 seconds to think of what else gets stacked pallet style like that.

It's not uncommon to see flat deck trailers transported by other flat deck trailers. One on the road, one stacked on top (wheels on deck) and another flipped over (deck to deck). Another cargo, made of existing in game models.

With even just 50 pre fab cargos, there would be better diversity in what one could haul. Multi drop would diversify it further. Even if SCS never embraces multi drop, having a trailer with cement blocks, bricks, and metal pipes (or steel rebar) delivering to one location (like Plaster and Sons) would be an improvement over just delivering a trailer full of metal pipes.

Without doing much additional work, using the existing cargos, I feel SCS could mix up what's loaded on each trailer going somewhere. And others have said, if feels like cargo is left behind all the time by SCS.
Last edited by VTXcnME on 15 May 2022 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
flight50

#306 Post by flight50 » 15 May 2022 11:09

danbywinby wrote: 15 May 2022 07:41 In my opinion that pace is too slow, cargo packs should be more like maps with more than one being released a year. When we got the Forest machinery with Washington I hoped it would be the start of each map DLC coming with a new cargo pack DLC. In my opinion this is how it should be to constantly increase the variety of cargo with each map DLC.
This was my exact thought process. I thought the Forestry pack was most definitely the start of a new trend to with at least one of the ATS map releases a year. I purposely categorized my post on the ATS flatbed thread for industry purposes. I don't think maps should be the main source of income for SCS when there are several other avenues to make money from. Between the vehicle team and the map team, they can produce consistent dlcs. But, that is not all. ATS and ETS2 now has (2) 2d concept artist each. They have a big task to cover the games with graphics. For ATS, the states are about to get smaller. So less to do in dlc's. I am sure they will also revisit older areas. But what about have them put together a livery system finally. That could bring a few dlc's graphically. SCS would have to set up a very basic core system for liveries. But for extra content, you'll need to buy the dlc's for more liveries. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

Right now people skin trailers but that mod based I think. Liveries is an in game system. If we ever get to see our hired drivers, copy livery options would need to happen. If VTC's does take off, multi drop, huge cargo pool and liveries sure sounds like several opportunities to me to get more people playing and buying content.
plykkegaard

#307 Post by plykkegaard » 15 May 2022 12:10

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Ludo Diabolo

#308 Post by Ludo Diabolo » 15 May 2022 18:02

Madkine wrote: 15 May 2022 08:00
seriousmods wrote: 15 May 2022 07:10 The issue time and again is knowledge. SCS doesn't seem to have any former truckers in their team, any current truckers as consultants,
Seriously, how is it possible that he is so passive on this part of the game which is still the heart of the game...

Sometimes I get the impression that both games are limited to transporting cargo from point A to point B, no matter how heavy the load, the important thing is to travel through their new DLC map, but the game is not limited to that for the real truckers who want to play RP.
ETS2:promods + Middle-East Add-On + TGS / ATS:promods Canada

SORRY MY ENGLISH, I'M FRENCH.
Optional Features

#309 Post by Optional Features » 15 May 2022 21:30

Madkine wrote: 15 May 2022 08:00
Fair enough: it definitely doesn't show in development. There are so many small things left out that would do so much for realism.
flight50

#310 Post by flight50 » 15 May 2022 23:24

Not showing means SCS didn't listen or take the advice. So you can't go by what you see. I know for a fact a couple of NA truckers that are beta testers. I know they provide input all the time. But if SCS doesn't take the suggestion, the game won't show it.

Return to “General discussion about the game”