DIY Scania knob for G27 shifter

Mustelu

DIY Scania knob for G27 shifter

#1 Post by Mustelu » 24 Mar 2021 15:31

Well I did it already thanks to Cleber's first idea which is using an old controller. I used a cheap usb joystick board from Aliexpress instead.
There's no need of soldering using this board although you can do so in both switches to secure the cables and avoid future disconnections (as I finally did).
I got a good deal with the Scania knob from Aliexpress as well which seems is not available anymore, but you can check it out for many other options right there imo. The best options are Scania, Man and Volvo knobs which have their electronics already incorporated so you just have to use their own switches as Cleber explained in his post.
The main difference using this method is you just have to remove the original wiring and simply use the new one which comes with your board, connecting both toggles to the usb board with two "double" cables.
About knob's subjection in the G27 shifter I still prefer Cleber's method to be honest but I just had to use a piece of hose and cut it by a side, then I strapped it with tape. Yeah, quite sloppy but it doesn't move I swear! :D

I have to say this is a complete different game with such a hardware addon. Even more immersive for simulation lovers.

Total cost was 31,78€.
Both links (no longer available but these could be useful for you I guess):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2000000 ... 63c0r2SOlY
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001225 ... 63c0r2SOlY

Some pics of the process (without soldering) and results:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Once again thank you @cleber_oro for sharing your knowledge since the internet is quite empty regarding this improvement! And the only non DIY options are just overpriced scams! :D
An agriculture technician larping as a logistic manager.
El Saico

Re: DIY Scania knob for G27 shifter

#2 Post by El Saico » 19 Jun 2022 13:32

The MAN 8-speed knob seems to be the best budget choice these days - aftermarket options abound!

I'm just waiting for my next paycheck to buy one...
Comboio da Pimba / The Pimba Convoy
The best convoy featuring Portuguese* folk music with double entendres of Twitch!

Saturdays, 17:00 UTC (14:00 Brasília, 18:00 Lisbon)

* can be Brazilian or American music on these conditions, depending on the map
siebel3d

#3 Post by siebel3d » 19 Jun 2022 19:16

There's a way to do a litlle bit cheaper hahaha
I did for my Scania 10 Speed shifter knob. The proccess is basically the same, but I used an old mouse instead of the joystick or the USB board. I've been using it since 2017 and it's working great.

Here's a little video of me using it back in 2017, when I first finished it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Y_cO8POXw
The Range button is on the shifter knob, and the splitter in on the side of the G27 shifter (the red button). I also used a custom support for the G27 shifter, to put it in the side of the seat base.
El Saico

#4 Post by El Saico » 04 Jul 2022 12:11

Well, my aftermarket MAN 16-speed* has just arrived!

I plan to do a lazy yet effective adaptation - another reason, besides the extra gears, why I picked this specific model - and pics shall follow ASAP.

* yes, I called it an 8-speed in the previous post, but that's without the splitter.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-04 at 12.06.42.jpeg
The best convoy featuring Portuguese* folk music with double entendres of Twitch!

El Saico

#5 Post by El Saico » 04 Jul 2022 22:56

Oh right, some other madman had already documented the wiring for this shifter months ago - so it's only necessary to follow it.
This is my numbering according to the colors on the plug.

Code: Select all

0 (black)   1 (blue)    2 (two wires, green/yellow)
3 (purple)  4 (red)     5 (white)
ATTENTION: There is a resistor between red and white (range switch) which has to be removed. To open the shifter you can carefully remove the plastic-piece (with the printed gears) with a plastic tool (just pull the plastic-piece backwards).

These are the connections between the pins

comfort shift (top): 0 + 2 (normally closed), 1 + 2 (normally open), 1 + 3 (normally open, only if splitter is closed), 0 + 3 (normally closed, if splitter is closed)
splitter (side): 2 (green)+ 3 (purple)
range (front): 4 (red)+ 5 (white)
Credits: https://github.com/AlBundy33/TruckShifter

Return to “Steering wheel + pedals”