Stuttering with own trailer [FIXED]

GoingDutch

Re: Stuttering with own trailer

#261 Post by GoingDutch » 28 Mar 2022 18:25

Driving some more days with an own trailer, and watching huge batches to expire. I almost got a 100% match between a stutter and the expiration time of that large batch.

Just curious... Why is the Cargo Market updated (expiring and regenerating of jobs) WHILE driving the truck? I don't know the internals of ETS2 of course :D , but if there's no need of realtime updating the Cargo Market, why not update it only when accessing the Cargo Market job list? It might take a second or so to regenerate the complete list, but by doing so it takes precious CPU processing time away from driving the truck...
barry

#262 Post by barry » 29 Mar 2022 11:52

Hi mate. I also wondered about that and why not flag each expiration date until you finish your delivery, then do the results, but probably flagging multiple expirations might end up just as stuttery as it is now. Just guessing, but another way is to perhaps create a recursive code to generate random expiration times for the cargo list that do not create duplicates expirations. But again what do i know, i'm just a lemming here ;)

Anyway. I'm in the process of being re-housed in a secure warden controlled flat complex - no not prison :mrgreen: - as i can't be trusted to look after myself properly :lol: I will have to sort out the internet and make contact with the escape committee ;) I'll keep a check on here with my phone for updates.

Oh and i found the reason for my display reluctance, it was the ordering of Promods and rusmap. Rusmap says to put the rusmap def after the promods assets and the rest of the rusmap above the promods def, Actually, putting all the rusmap parts either above or below promods solves the reluctance. I'm guessing putting the rusmap def separate from the rest was causing a conflict. Happy chappie here now.

Regards
Bee-Ri

#263 Post by Bee-Ri » 29 Mar 2022 18:52

This problem has been driving me absolutely insane for the longest time and I had long since come to the conclusion that it was purely the sheer amount of jobs decaying and being created simultaneously. This is a problem that is potentially made worse with map mods simply because they add new cities, and thus jobs are created within them. I had originally thought that it was my PC getting old, so I just swapped to a trailer that generated fewer jobs because the stutters vanished entirely when I did so. However, I see the exact same level of stutters on my brand new PC, which I only got last Tuesday.

The way I worked it out was I picked trailers that had decreasing amounts of jobs available to them.

Curtainsiders seem to have the most jobs created for them, so I get the worst stuttering while using it. Scrolling through the jobs listing is like watching a slideshow. I did note, however, that I could get a good distance on my very first journey with the curtainsider with no stuttering, then it would start and never stop, even if I restarted the game.

When I was using mod trailers, such as the SCS Trailer Patch fuel tanker, I never had a single stutter due to the very low volume of jobs created. There were usually only 4 jobs created in any valid depot, which means most cities that could even generate a job only had 4. Scrolling the the jobs listing is nice and quick.

When I got a container trailer, I observed some stuttering. Nothing as bad as the curtainsider, but it was there still. Scrolling through the jobs was visibly slower than when I was using the tanker.

Using the Freight Market with a high chance for no cargo to be produced, I got no stutters. Scrolling through the jobs listing was as quick as the tanker. I have since decreased the chances for no cargo, and it is visibly slower.

To me, this always pointed to the constant generation of jobs from cities we aren't visiting, and then the subsequent expiration of these jobs, en masse. As it stands, jobs are generated for Quick Job, the Freight Market, plus your current trailer, for cities you have nil chance of visiting (considering you are on a job already).

ProMods could be seen as a potential issue because once it is removed, the volume of jobs will massively decrease, but in actual fact ProMods is merely a vehicle by which the issues with cargo generation are made obvious.

Assuming that this is definitely the case, the remedy would be to not pointlessly generate jobs in singleplayer when the player can only take cargo from a single location at a time. I wouldn't be averse to clicking a button for a city to generate some jobs for me on demand, because the current system starts to become overwhelmed (and lets be honest, who is going to sift through hundreds of jobs every time?).
Madkine
Global moderator

#264 Post by Madkine » 29 Mar 2022 20:39

Bee-Ri wrote: 29 Mar 2022 18:52 Assuming that this is definitely the case, the remedy would be to not pointlessly generate jobs in singleplayer when the player can only take cargo from a single location at a time. I wouldn't be averse to clicking a button for a city to generate some jobs for me on demand, because the current system starts to become overwhelmed (and lets be honest, who is going to sift through hundreds of jobs every time?).
People looking for specific jobs for achievements will. I've cancelled a job mid delivery before to take another job that I've been waiting to appear in the cargo lists.
But obviously changes are required here to fix this issue.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Bee-Ri

#265 Post by Bee-Ri » 29 Mar 2022 21:24

Naturally, but clicking a button to generate jobs at a chosen city (or even having the option to geneate jobs with a specific destination on demand) feels like a decent middle ground - anyone looking for specific jobs can just go around the job market generating jobs at cities until the one they want pops up, while others will just generate jobs at the current city. Personally I only look at the job market when I've finished the current run, even when I'm going around looking for specific jobs, which admittedly that won't be the same for everyone.

But I think we are all agreed that it is something that needs to be remedied, especially as ETS2's map is still increasing in size and even vanilla + DLC players will begin to hit the same issue that ProMods users have already encountered.
Last edited by Bee-Ri on 29 Mar 2022 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
GoingDutch

#266 Post by GoingDutch » 30 Mar 2022 05:08

@Bee-Ri Thanks. I already was looking for an available own trailer with the least cargo, but with this mod and choosing a fuel tanker overall Cargo supply is really limited. And as a consequence of that, only a few cargo-"suggestions" are offered per city. I also did the 'sleep three times in a row'-trick, and saw jobs being concentrated in big batches, but these batches were by far not that big compared to jobs that are offered for standard trailers (for example curtain sliders).

With that own fuel tanker, I've driven at about 3000 km (2000 mile) and I got zero stutter. This again seems to confirm that stuttering with own trailer is related to the amount of cargo jobs, and expiring&regenerating of huge chunks of jobs while driving the truck.

I am curious if SCS managed to reproduce this stuttering by now, as reproduction is a vital step before working on the solution.
GoingDutch

#267 Post by GoingDutch » 01 Apr 2022 09:35

@martinglight Hi. I did the 'sleep-three-times-in-a-row'-trick in ATS, to mess up my cargo market. That worked, and I got the same stutters I have in ETS2. Just to verify ATS is behaving the same as ETS2.

But... I now notice that once the cargo market is messed up (huge batches of jobs) there's no way to revert it to 'factory settings'. And now I also have a stuttering ATS with my own trailer that seems permanent now. ATS was stutter free :?

I tried economy reset, but that didnt solve it.

It looks like once messed up, it stays messed up. Or do you have a smart work around to reset the cargo market as it was... So to undo the 'sleep-three-times-in-a-row'-trick...
DTC

#268 Post by DTC » 01 Apr 2022 14:37

@hoevenvd
Glad to notice you have it in ATS too, due the fact i have it in both sims for quite a while now even with reinstall it has no sollution.
The only thing i did notice, i tried a new install with without all dlc and build up again step for step by adding the maps dlcs as they came at the market.
A long time there was no problem with going east and scandanavia added so i did add all others att the game and it went back again.
So it has something to due with one of the changes in the new dlc with the market in ats and ets that causes this issue.
and indeed once happening its unable to get rid of it
So for me the game is now without owned trailers.. just like it was before
martinglight

#269 Post by martinglight » 01 Apr 2022 15:11

hoevenvd wrote: 01 Apr 2022 09:35 It looks like once messed up, it stays messed up. Or do you have a smart work around to reset the cargo market as it was... So to undo the 'sleep-three-times-in-a-row'-trick...
I am only about 40-50% sure about this, but you might wanna try ditching your current trailer and starting with a new type. Or just a new trailer of the same type.

UPDATE: Taking a few jobs after getting the new trailer could probably also help. Probably.
Always underway.

System:
Windows 11 Pro
ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H D5
Intel Core i9 13900KF
32GB 6000MHz DDR5
Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD
Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 O24G
bit t

#270 Post by bit t » 03 Apr 2022 12:06

so after some extensive tests and so on i will leave my findings here for others to read..... i too have been hit with the stutter bug for a long time now, and only recently tried to fix but with no luck, but a bit more of a understanding on why it dose it...... so here we are, the stutter seems to affect owned trailers only(yes i still get the odd 1 or 2 stutters when the game loads a lot of assets in busy towns n such but not continually stuttering) but i have found that mods don't really affect the trailer stutter as a whole, but what i have noticed that starts to affect the increase in stutters is (as mentioned by others before) the cargo market.....for example.... when you start a new game regardless of mods used or not, you start with no skills, and for every skill you earn and use, it opens up more cargo missions for the player to select from, that in mind, same is possible for every new location (city) that the player finds opens up more missions, now at the start of a new game i played to get my 1st owned trailer for my 1 truck i had, found a few more town and city's and ranked up 4-5 times, at this point (for me personally) the stutters i was getting with the owned trailer was pretty much non-existent, but.....the more places i unlocked and the more different skills i acquired, the stutters started to become more and more noticeable to the point where it would stutter every time the in game time would pass a single minute in game it would give a little stutter, so looking back at previous comments by others regarding it being the cargo market could be onto something, with the jobs expiring so often and so quick, for every job that expires in the game world more are generated as soon as they expire, and this happens in live time(in game) i have not found a fix for this but rather just avoiding technique's,.....like cutting back on perks( only get skills you need and use)...limit the number of cargo mods you use as the more you play the more will be unlocked, and also it makes cense that if you own a top end pc, that you would be able to do more before the stutters become more noticeable, and a low end pc would be quicker to notice them,

Return to “Bugs 1.40”