Stuttering with own trailer [FIXED]

GoingDutch

Re: Stuttering with own trailer

#271 Post by GoingDutch » 03 Apr 2022 17:08

@bit t That's an interesting one. I will use a Save Edit tool on my profile, and turn off ALL the skills except for the long distance skill. That should diminish the amount of cargo jobs by a lot. Just to test/verify it (again) is the highly populated Cargo Market that causes the stuttering.

@martinglight Nope, selling all own trailers and rebuy them doesn't make any difference.
GoingDutch

#272 Post by GoingDutch » 03 Apr 2022 20:27

Okay. Using a save edit tool, I turned down all the skills, except the long distance skill. And indeed, I only got these jobs offered in the Cargo market, no other&special ones. But it seems that a certain amount of jobs MUST be created, as now I have a huge amount of only 'normal long distance' jobs in the cargo market, and still clustered into batches with many jobs. And when those expire simultaneously, a stutter occurs.

So, no smart temporarily solution by trimming down the skills...
Madkine
Global moderator

#273 Post by Madkine » 03 Apr 2022 21:32

Exactly, reducing skills will have no impact on the number of jobs, just the types of jobs.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
bit t

#274 Post by bit t » 04 Apr 2022 03:21

i see....maybe the skills are not the answer then....did you try with the locations method?...more locations discovered=more jobs? so a new profile with no town/citys leaves you with bare minimum jobs available, at this point skills would have an effect as those jobs would not show in the lists until the skill is used.
GoingDutch

#275 Post by GoingDutch » 04 Apr 2022 06:25

Yes. Created a new profile, did the 'first' job and then used a save edit tool to get me on level 40 (just so that I could bought a curtain slider).

Just one town discovered, my home town (where my garage is located). Did a trip of 1000 km (600 miles) and got stutters with my own trailer.
martinglight

#276 Post by martinglight » 04 Apr 2022 16:11

hoevenvd wrote: 04 Apr 2022 06:25 Yes. Created a new profile, did the 'first' job and then used a save edit tool to get me on level 40 (just so that I could bought a curtain slider).

Just one town discovered, my home town (where my garage is located). Did a trip of 1000 km (600 miles) and got stutters with my own trailer.
Interesting. I've been playing quite a lot recently and the issue seems to appear and disappear quite randomly. And you are right, getting a new trailer does not necessarily help (I just got one).
Always underway.

System:
Windows 11 Pro
ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H D5
Intel Core i9 13900KF
32GB 6000MHz DDR5
Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD
Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 O24G
SkuldVirva

#277 Post by SkuldVirva » 18 Apr 2022 13:41

Maverick_Knight wrote: 17 May 2021 19:05 Hi fellow truckers!

I quickly want to contribute my findings about the stuttering with own trailers.
It took me quite a while to find out about this by myself, but it really drives me mad :x

I actually drive using my ProMods-profile - 2.55 with Rusmap 2.41, Southern Region 10.1 but I think the maps are NOT the problem.
My truck is the Volvo FH 2012 by Pendragon, owned trailers I´ve tested are the Fliegl SDS 350 Mega and the Schmitz Cargobull by Schumi.

Driving with trailers offered by the cargo market (I use Sisl´s Trailer Pack) I have NO PROBLEMS whatsoever! Absolutely no stuttering!
As soon I use my own trailer (empty or loaded with freight) the stuttering begins. Last week I left my owned trailer after delivery at the place
to drive to another place. (Just with my truck - no trailer) Stuttering occured without my owned trailer attached.

I stopped, went into the menu and sent my owned trailer back to the home garage. Then I drove on and guess what: The stuttering was gone!
So even if the owned trailer is not attached to the truck, but still is "associated" to the truck the stuttering occurs.

For me it seems like a bug in the game. The occupation of my PC (CPU and GPU) is so low when driving, that I don´t think that this is related
to perfomance problems.

As I said before it´s very annoying and destroys completely the immersion when driving with the big and micro-stutters ...

Someone should definetely take a look at this problem :idea:

Greets
Maverick

On seeing this I have an hypothesis. What we know now:
- This issue is map-related->reports that opening maps after stuttering results in loss of map data.
- This issue is owned trailer-related
- This issue is reported more on big maps like Promods.
- You can only attach trailers inside your garage, but anywhere in your garage. This requires position checking instead of regular activation locations.
So, here is my guess. Just a hypothesis:
The game constantly checks the position of the owned trailer in the game map, perhaps every 'tick' (not always frame but often it is) of the main refreshing loop, or every some ticks. Perhaps the game checks whether you are inside your garage, or the trailer, or something related to that stuff. Technically speaking an owned trailer belongs to a certain garage, not a driver, in the game system.
I hope this guess could give you some inspiration.
The problem with this hypothesis is that it does not explain why it is customization-related.
The next thing to test, now, is to drive out in the wilds without any trailer, hence, not delivering anything, just the truck. Once it leaves the garage, go to Trailer Management and "attach" the selected trailer to your truck, and drive further, and see if the issue persists.
SkuldVirva

#278 Post by SkuldVirva » 18 Apr 2022 16:31

martinglight wrote: 04 Apr 2022 16:11
hoevenvd wrote: 04 Apr 2022 06:25 Yes. Created a new profile, did the 'first' job and then used a save edit tool to get me on level 40 (just so that I could bought a curtain slider).

Interesting. I've been playing quite a lot recently and the issue seems to appear and disappear quite randomly. And you are right, getting a new trailer does not necessarily help (I just got one).
Hi there, I've been browsing through the scs modding docs and found this:

Code: Select all

g_job_distance_limit ~ Limit generating of the jobs that are in specified range from current player position. Negative value means no limit for generation applied.
from this website:
https://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Docume ... _variables

---

...It simply does not help. It seemingly affects job length, not generation.

---

I wonder how External Market works and is able to limit the true "generation of jobs in a certain distance from player". I mean, if that is applied to the normal Cargo market, despite being a compromise, it may solve the problem.
However, AI drivers rely on markets to find jobs and therefore assigning them trailers would seem meaningless in this assumed scenario.
Last edited by SkuldVirva on 18 Apr 2022 17:19, edited 2 times in total.
MatzeH

#279 Post by MatzeH » 19 Apr 2022 20:07

Suffering from the same stuttering/hiccups (only with map mods) and some testing i came to my conclusion that this problems must be a combination of more than just one thing:

- owned trailers (economy generates much more cargo jobs than freight jobs)
- mod maps (much more companies -> even more jobs)
- economy itself (generating more jobs then it can handle? / jobs not as restricted to an area as we have in wot jobs)

That could explain why most ppl playing online with ProMods don't see the hiccups as we have in single player (less generated jobs, restricted to an smaller area?). It doesn't explain why some of us experience the problem on pure vanilla game.

Finally, let me quote a message from @Acrilix about 6 months ago:
Acrilix wrote: 01 Nov 2021 21:51 After playing this game for 7 years I've finally resorted to joining this forum because I'm sick and tired of testing owned trailers every time the game is updated only to find out that this issue still hasn't been fixed! This has been happening since owned trailers were first introduced 3 years ago and I've suffered it on 2 different (up-to-date gaming) PC's on both old modded, and fresh, unmodded profiles. I've also been playing ETS2 solely in VR for the last 5 years, and so stutters are particularly noticeable and immersion-breaking for me and something to be avoided.

I realise that tracking down an issue that can't be replicated by the devs makes finding the solution more difficult, but surely the game code for the cargo market is the likely culprit here. After all, it only runs once you spawn your trailer and this is when the problem starts. Normally, during freight jobs the cargo market isn't operational at all, the option is greyed out in the menus, and everything runs smoothly. However, when a cargo job is undertaken, the freight job market isn't greyed out and made non-operational in the same way. It continues to run in the background, alongside the cargo one, and so doesn't it seem likely that this could be causing some sort of bottleneck or extra strain on people's systems that is introducing the stutters that so many here are suffering from? I wouldn't be surprised that if the freight job code was programmed to shut down while cargo jobs were in operation we would all be experiencing a much smoother game than we are now. We'd probably be able to enjoy this MAJOR feature of the game, all the customisation it adds, the DLC available, and the extra challenge that delivery pick-ups with owned trailers provides, rather than have to just ignore it completely and play the game in a much less desirable manner, feeling that we are all missing out on something great.
Think he's having some good points.

@SkuldVirva With this parameter you set your prefered job distance as you do in options. We would need a parameter like g_job_generation_limit.

Edit: in ProMods staying in Honningsvag i get over 780 quick jobs and 2800! freight market offers. Not counted in are the job offers and wot jobs. Sounds a bit too much if you ask me :shock:
SkuldVirva

#280 Post by SkuldVirva » 21 Apr 2022 03:23

@MatzeH That generation limit parameter would be excellent. BTW, I haven't played multiplayer yet. Is the cargo market generation in MP different from that in SP? How is that made different? If so, can we make a mod or something to achieve that in SP?

Return to “Bugs 1.40”