Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

Berniyh

Re: Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

#281 Post by Berniyh » 27 Apr 2023 06:58

Optional Features wrote: 26 Apr 2023 20:39@Berniyh Yeah, there are perks and drawbacks to either method. I prefer the new game approach because each time you have the possibility of a large change with the update. With a smaller game update, changes have less of an effect, and with SCS development speed, gameplay improvements take a while.
The development would take just as long. Maybe the ratio between artists/designers (because they would likely cover a much smaller area of Europe/USA or at much lower detail) and programmers would be a bit different, but that's about it.
The main reason why there is an advantage is that you can break backward compatibility more easily and deprecate stuff quicker. Than can of course save some time and reduce the overall amount of code, but thinking that the development speed would be so much faster than it is now is an illusion, because you can't see each of the intermediate states.
Realistically speaking, such development would likely take place in an early access project and then you're basically in the same situation as it is now, so it wouldn't make a huge difference as to how you perceive progress.

There is however a significant downside to the new-game approach: the licence agreements are usually specific to the game title. So if you're doing a new one, it's likely you have to renegotiate these.
And there is a chance that e.g. a truck that is now in game won't be in the next one. We've seen this quite often already for other titles.
Thankfully, there aren't too many licenced products in the SCS games, so the impact might be acceptable, but still there is a chance that your favorite truck won't be available, at least in the officially provided content.
A new ATS or ETS could leapfrog upcoming competitors and establish SCS as the frontrunner for truck sims going forward, Right now, that future seems uncertain. If competing devs get their act together, SCS will be left in the dust, and any attempts to fix that with updates would likely be too much, too fast.
I doubt that. I do wish those competitors the best, but can they provide almost all of Europe in comparable detail? I'd be surprised if that was the case.
As I said before, I even doubt that SCS could provide that had they sticked to the approach of iterating the game instead of providing long-term support.
Optional Features

#282 Post by Optional Features » 28 Apr 2023 07:25

Berniyh wrote: 27 Apr 2023 06:58 There is however a significant downside to the new-game approach: the licence agreements are usually specific to the game title. So if you're doing a new one, it's likely you have to renegotiate these.
And there is a chance that e.g. a truck that is now in game won't be in the next one. We've seen this quite often already for other titles.
Thankfully, there aren't too many licenced products in the SCS games, so the impact might be acceptable, but still there is a chance that your favorite truck won't be available, at least in the officially provided content.
Honestly, my favorite truck at any given moment is rarely an SCS model, but that's beside the point. GIANTS releases a game approximately every two years, and every two years there are more brands than ever. With this latest game, they added Mack and Volvo plus Lode-King. I would be surprised to see these brands disappear with the next game (probably a bit more than two years this time), and I wouldn't be surprised to see additional new brands join. As long as the dev retains a good relationship with the manufacturers, getting a new license shouldn't be an issue.
I doubt that. I do wish those competitors the best, but can they provide almost all of Europe in comparable detail? I'd be surprised if that was the case.
As I said before, I even doubt that SCS could provide that had they sticked to the approach of iterating the game instead of providing long-term support.
SCS will remain a map leader in the trucksim space for a while to come, but that's about all they have is a map. A large, and beautiful, but nearly function-less map. The latest update to Truck World showcases the ability to open doors on facilities, not just trucks. And they plan to develop a 1:20 scale map of Australia. The combination of trailer and truck functionality and interactivity with map functionality and interactivity will be a far cry from current SCS products.

Will DX12 bring a new focus on interactivity? Only time will tell. One thing is for certain: across all genres of simulators other than trucksims, the top products are always interactive/challenging/focused on realism. MSFS and DCS, TrainSImWorld and Derail Valley, Assetto Corsa and iRacing, etc--these are class-leading games that focus on presenting real-world challenges to the PC gamer. SCS is focused on skins, photo trophies, and city intros. It's honestly strange that SCS has been able to maintain its position in the truck sim genre for this long without implementing even basic concepts like parking a chip trailer on the truck dumper instead of at a random "dock". Things like opening doors and clickable buttons would be amazing, but we have yet to see them move all basic triggers into realistic locations.
Berniyh

#283 Post by Berniyh » 28 Apr 2023 12:15

Optional Features wrote: 28 Apr 2023 07:25Honestly, my favorite truck at any given moment is rarely an SCS model, but that's beside the point. GIANTS releases a game approximately every two years, and every two years there are more brands than ever. With this latest game, they added Mack and Volvo plus Lode-King. I would be surprised to see these brands disappear with the next game (probably a bit more than two years this time), and I wouldn't be surprised to see additional new brands join. As long as the dev retains a good relationship with the manufacturers, getting a new license shouldn't be an issue.
Even for Giants it happens. Sometimes, they do then release those vehicles as a free mod, but there is no guarantee it'll happen. Also, depending on the exact terms of the contract they had, it could be borderline illegal, i.e. a grey zone. In any case, it doesn't mean that another company would behave the same.
Generally, it's not that easy to compare different games here if they don't target the same brands/product. First, companies could be different and more open or strict to licensing. But also the kind of tools/vehicles they produce and how well they are known.
Most of the brands of farming equipment aren't really well known outside of the farming bubble. So for them it could be very nice to gain some screen time via games.
Car makers and truck makers on the other hand are already well known, since basically everybody sees them on a regular basis. Of course, being featured in a game should still be a good thing for them, but they don't always see it as that and they might have higher requirements (in terms of money, quality or whatever) as to what is required to get the license.

Assetto Corsa 2 will most likely be released in the next 1-1.5 years, based on what we know so far. They did make the step that you wish for, i.e. a clean cut after the original AC and then develop something new.
However, you can't really compare it too easily to something like ETS2. The engine of AC, even though it served us simracers very will and continues to do so, is really a dead end. There isn't really anything to salvage (based on what we heard form the devs).
For Kunos, it was clear from the very beginning of the next title (ACC) that they need something completely new and they combined that with other new ideas to create ACC, which is basically a huge testbed for them, because they can e.g. develop a new tire model without having to update more than 100 vehicles and similar stuff.

The original AC was basically left for dead and it's only due to huge modding community that it's still thriving; actually more than ACC. It even surpassed ATS now 5 years after the end.
If you take ACC away, which I do, because I more or less never drive ACC, an AC simracer had to wait more than 5 years after the last update (Jan 2018) to AC until a new one arrives at some point in the future.
AC's content was really great and I don't really want to miss out on any of the cars in the new AC2. I fear though that they will cut it down significantly. From what Marco said in the past, some of those deals for both cars and tracks were really hard to get and I don't know if they can pull it off again. Maybe we'll get some of the newer cars instead of the older ones, but honestly, most of the newer cars really suck.
(Actually, I love especially electric cars in real live, but in a game, I want to drive other stuff. CO2 emission etc. doesn't matter there.)

There is of course a chance that some of the contracts were not tied to a specific game. Such things exist, as we unfortunately know from the famous deal between Porsche and EA, where Porsche wasn't featured in any non-EA game for 15 years until the Porsche DLCs in AC.
Though, given the (relatively) low budget that these smaller studios operate with, I do doubt that they have deals that span multiple games.
Will DX12 bring a new focus on interactivity? Only time will tell. One thing is for certain: across all genres of simulators other than trucksims, the top products are always interactive/challenging/focused on realism. MSFS and DCS, TrainSImWorld and Derail Valley, Assetto Corsa and iRacing, etc--these are class-leading games that focus on presenting real-world challenges to the PC gamer. SCS is focused on skins, photo trophies, and city intros. It's honestly strange that SCS has been able to maintain its position in the truck sim genre for this long without implementing even basic concepts like parking a chip trailer on the truck dumper instead of at a random "dock". Things like opening doors and clickable buttons would be amazing, but we have yet to see them move all basic triggers into realistic locations.
Careful, what you compare here. MSFS is made by a huge company, they just have much more options to boost multiple areas in their products. In the past, simulations were often good at physics etc. but quite bad in the graphics department, accessibility and other areas. e.g. X-Plane is still lacking a lot when it comes to graphics. AA and reflections are horrible, despite having a Vulkan-based engine now.
DCS also was pretty bad, but they managed to get huge improvements in the last ~5 years. You have to keep in mind though that DCS is much cost-heavier to run than a game like ETS2. Every aircraft and scenery will cost you something in the range of 30-70€, that's the price of up to 6 or 7 map dlc in ETS2.
In addition to that, eagle dynamics provides professional services and support for companies for training simulators. For that reason alone they have to have a different focus than SCS.
iRacing also has a much higher running cost and a much larger dev team due to that and still the graphics in iRacing aren't the best either. For a long time, players also complained about FFB, although I think that has been solved in the last years.
(Personally, I never used iRacing, so this is just based on what I read from other users.)

So the best comparisons could possibly be made with AC, Trainsimworld and Derail Valley. For (the original) AC, the small dev team (one programmer at the time!) and the focus on being a proper simulation lead to the above-mentioned limitations which put AC in a dead end regarding engine development. Something they surely wouldn't have done, if dumming down the physics would've been an option, since it severely limited the possibilities for a future development.
And the train sims … well, trains are pretty easily simulated, there just isn't as much going on as with a car or a truck. Generally, the complexity ranking would be something like trains < planes < cars < helicopters, although I'm not quite sure about cars vs helicopters. For cars you have the complexity of the (full/partial) tire/asphalt patch. Or maybe even on dirt/gravel/snow/ice. In addition to that the whole flexing and the multiple springs/bars play a significant role in the physics modelling as well. On the other hand, a helicopter simulator could be basically called "turbulence simulator" and turbulence is among the hardest things to properly simulate, period. One of the reasons why MSFS apparently is still lacking in helicopter simulation compared to XP12 or DCS.

And then there is the aspect that maybe(!) most people don't even want a "real" simulation from a specific game. And that is even true for me personally as well.
Even though I really dig simulations (AC is my goto driving sim and I absolutely love flying in XP12 or DCS), when I jump into a truck, I don't want a simulation, I want it to be a relaxing experience.
Of course, I wouldn't mind a bit more realistic physics here and there, but as soon as it gets stressful in any way, like it is actually in the real world, I'm out, because that's not why I drive in ETS2/ATS.

Sorry for the long post and that it kind of went into the off-topic direction for a bit. :(
Some newbie driver

#284 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Apr 2023 14:46

Berniyh wrote: 28 Apr 2023 12:15Of course, I wouldn't mind a bit more realistic physics here and there
And SCS devs too for surre. As far as I know, last 3 patches had got some little improvements in physics. Some were publicly announced, but some not. Whatever, any really noticeable change (specially include lateral sliding) would require an exponential jump in calculations. Thus, one of those things they probably could not include until a whole multi-core engine will be released. Reached that moment, if a whole CPU core could be tasked for all physics; then all of a sudden they could perfectly be applied to every single vehicle in the game not just player's ones. That alone would skyrocket the level bar of the simulation compared to actual state.

Regards
Optional Features

#285 Post by Optional Features » 28 Apr 2023 16:32

@Berniyh No problem: you're very knowledgeable, so no need to apologize.

My primary point is if a player wants a truck/trucking/trucker simulator, SCS games are about the only option, and they are currently none of the three.

In the flightsim genre, players have choices. In the trainsim genre, players have choices. In the racing sim genre, players have choices. In the farming sim genre, players have one option sadly, but it does offer a lot that is hard to compete with for a new entry.

Here, we have one dev with two similar games, neither of which offers a ton outside of brands and a big map. And while brands are important to some players, I'd happily trade them for a game that focused on realism/functionality in some form.

Every time we get a new ownable trailer is an opportunity for this, but yet it's the same concept with a new skin. People are hoping for ownable car haulers now, but why? It's still "trailer", just in a new shape. And we're not actually hauling cars: we're hauling 3d blocks of "cargo" that vanish at a button press. It's a missed opportunity in a game that is a trail of them.

And maybe adding more functionality is waiting on an engine update, but I just don't see it. They would take years to implement functionality in reverse if the update dropped today. Which is why it seemingly makes sense to start over with that as a primary goal rather than try to implement it in retrospect.
Some newbie driver

#286 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Apr 2023 20:59

What's a primary goal or a secondary one is not yours to decide, it's developer decision. As like if a game should or not to be more detailed in its simulation part or not. And so on and on. Your decision as a consumer is only if the product worth your attention and money or if you pass. And as a consumer you can make all suggestions you want; but the fact that the game doesn't become what you prefer or that your suggestions aren't implemented doesn't turn the product bad, defective, incomplete or any other of that kind of descriptions you use to give it so easily and so often.

And regarding the kind of development the devs have to follow; considering how many times you had demonstrated a rather low understanding of IT in general and software development specifically; you are not entitled for sure to decide what's the best course of action for a software developer. Period.

So, if you put aside all that crap that fills too much of your post maybe some people will be willing to discuss of the other points you have; that could be perfectly valid. But in the meantime you are off the rails.

Regards
JoeAlex23

#287 Post by JoeAlex23 » 28 Apr 2023 21:06

I agree to every single word you said, but watch him come back with a very cynical wall of text to further prove your point.
Berniyh

#288 Post by Berniyh » 29 Apr 2023 06:28

Optional Features wrote: 28 Apr 2023 16:32Here, we have one dev with two similar games, neither of which offers a ton outside of brands and a big map. And while brands are important to some players, I'd happily trade them for a game that focused on realism/functionality in some form.
Well, there is Spintires/Mudrunner/Snowrunner. They focus quite clearly on more realism.

If you meant a road trucking simulator, as in real simulator, I fear you might be among the very few people actually wanting this.
It's basically the same reason as to why there is no real simulator for farming: it gets boring and tedious very quickly. Not saying that a farmers live is boring, just doing that in front of a TV or computer screen would bore most people really quickly.
Thus, it possibly wouldn't sell very well. For the Spintires series, it works, because they focus more on the trial/challenge aspect instead of long-distance hauling.

Generally, I can understand why they didn't bring mini games for loading or other stuff: they are still working on modernizing the core engine and that should have priority over such things.
Personally, I think that something like snow might come in the future, but only after they released a new core and graphics engine to free some resources for such stuff.
So let's wait until that happens ("maybe" this year) and then we can start complaining again. ;)
dhrto

#289 Post by dhrto » 29 Apr 2023 07:48

Yeah different seasons would be nice. I'm quite sure SCS won't go after features like walking outside your truck and doing/exploring things on foot. Their game world is just not designed that way. I'd rather have them do what they are good at and speed it up a little: map development. Personally I think it would be great to drive whole Europe and the US from coast to coast. Wouldn't mind having Canada in there as well. Everybody has his/her preferences I guess and SCS is in no way obliged to follow of course.
System specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX3080 (no OC), Varjo Aero (using OpenXR through OpenComposite instead of SteamVR), 32 GB DDR3200, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB, Win10. And most importantly: vanilla game, no mods.
Optional Features

#290 Post by Optional Features » 29 Apr 2023 07:50

Berniyh wrote: 29 Apr 2023 06:28 Well, there is Spintires/Mudrunner/Snowrunner. They focus quite clearly on more realism.

If you meant a road trucking simulator, as in real simulator, I fear you might be among the very few people actually wanting this.
It's basically the same reason as to why there is no real simulator for farming: it gets boring and tedious very quickly. Not saying that a farmers live is boring, just doing that in front of a TV or computer screen would bore most people really quickly.
Thus, it possibly wouldn't sell very well. For the Spintires series, it works, because they focus more on the trial/challenge aspect instead of long-distance hauling.

Generally, I can understand why they didn't bring mini games for loading or other stuff: they are still working on modernizing the core engine and that should have priority over such things.
Personally, I think that something like snow might come in the future, but only after they released a new core and graphics engine to free some resources for such stuff.
So let's wait until that happens ("maybe" this year) and then we can start complaining again. ;)
Snowrunner is a better game in some aspects, but they present the whole world as a giant bog. Perhaps logging trucks in Siberia have to ford a creek to get to the pickup site, but that isn't the case in the states, at least not out west where most of the logging is done. I have a really hard time playing their games because of this.

As for farming, I think the FS series is about as realistic a game as we can expect from a medium-sized dev. It's not a perfect sim, but it's far more of a farmer/farming sim than this is a trucker/trucking sim.

And unlike SCS games, FS features are almost entirely optional. Stuff like soil type and ph level, alternative fertilizing methods like anhydrous, and annoyances like weeds can be toggled in menus or installed/uninstalled as mods depending on player preference.

Here, we cannot have have two ownable trailers together in a yard, (dis)connect two trailers together to make/break a set, sleep in our sleepers, or have a friend drive a truck we own on our behalf, mod or not. All of these things can be done in the farming game, which makes it increasingly hard for me to play SCS products. The driving physics in that game might be awful, and the map size isn't ideal, but at least I can own a trucking company with a garage, multiple visible trucks and trailers, a sign out front, and multiplayer helpers that haul cargo.

Manual cargo loading would be appreciated, but I'm talking about basics. Anything beyond the one truck and one trailer we're using is represented on a spreadsheet. It's basically a money cheat disguised as fleet ownership.

I wish mods could take away some of these limitations, but SCS has a vice grip on the game. We can't even bypass the loaded trailer block for F7 commands with mods. If that was possible, at least we could pretend to open doors to dock.

If the engine update addresses all of these limitations, I will be flabbergasted.

Return to “General discussion about the game”