Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

flight50

Re: Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

#301 Post by flight50 » 28 May 2023 15:59

DX12 should definitely follow what DX11 did. Iirc, it was 1-2 updates worth of getting things stable before completely switching to DX11 full time. However they do it, there will be new maps that the update must run flawlessly on without crashing if the update comes along side a map. There needs to be a beta for the engine update for sure. Whether that update is an update without any maps or a very long open beta before the map can release is the question.
xXCARL1992Xx

#302 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 28 May 2023 16:04

and both updates came after Steam dropped Windows XP and Vista from compatibility, wich was January 1st 2019, and 1.35 followed June and 1.36 in December
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
automaton

#303 Post by automaton » 28 May 2023 17:47

parasaurolophus67 wrote: 25 May 2023 14:23 @Vator They won't set a date on when. We can only say it could be 1.48 or 1.49.
I think that's a bit optimistic.
parasaurolophus67

#304 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 28 May 2023 18:36

@automaton So was Pavel according to the Christmas stream ( I believe).
flight50

#305 Post by flight50 » 28 May 2023 18:39

JoeAlex23 wrote: 28 May 2023 15:22 I'm still speculating that they are waiting until Steam drops support for Win7/Win8 (since only Win10/Win11 support DX12) at the start of 2024 to release the DX12 update, so it might actually be 1.50, but we could see a separated experimental beta branch for 1.49 so people can start testing it, it could go either way.
Another thought I just thought of here..........I'm hoping they are not waiting on Steam to drop support just to upgrade. Why prolong something that's going to happen anyways is how I see it. Jump ahead of the curve. If its ready.....get it going and hit the ground running for 2024 already making the leap forward. Butttttt the sad truth is you could be right. As of now, zero map blogs are indicating any appearance upgrade to the game engine. The next maps to release don't indicate an engine update. Soooo 1.48 could skip it as far as public release at least. It would put people in the crossroads that want to test the engine update but buy the latest map dlc's that will release this year.

But there's a chance at the game engine entering beta for extend time perhaps. If the changes are significant enough, what if they ride the engine update for both 1.48 and 1.49? Or could just be 1.49. Odd maybe but not impossible. What if it takes that long to go stable? What if they add the foundations for the new engine upgrade and toss a few other things in that need rigorous testing before going public. Last time for DX11, it was pretty much part time. DX12, they will develop fully for it so no holding back like DX11 did. Considering they knew they'd go DX12, why do more on DX11 than you have too. So that then puts 2024 jumping to DX12 full time. That would explain why Oklahoma, WB, Switzerland, California and Kansas all appear on the current engine with no clarifications in the blogs. If this is the case, I'm 80% sure that the Xmas stream will finally provide some details for a Q1 release of the engine update.
JoeAlex23

#306 Post by JoeAlex23 » 28 May 2023 19:31

I was talking more for the official release of the DX12/Game Engine update after January 1st 2024, i doubt we will see anything for it in 1.48 since it's closer than it might seem, but 1.49 could be the start with a separated experimental beta only for testing DX12 and provide feedback to the devs.

Waiting is a good thing in this case since SCS will have a good reason to stop providing any support for anyone still stuck with Win7/Win8. If you can't update Steam and the game because of "ancient" software is not their problem anymore.
Berniyh

#307 Post by Berniyh » 28 May 2023 19:42

JoeAlex23 wrote: 28 May 2023 15:22 I'm still speculating that they are waiting until Steam drops support for Win7/Win8 (since only Win10/Win11 support DX12) at the start of 2024 to release the DX12 update, so it might actually be 1.50, but we could see a separated experimental beta branch for 1.49 so people can start testing it, it could go either way.
The point of waiting for that specific point in time being?
Sorry, I just don't see how that would relate.

If you're talking about DX11: they're not going to drop that anytime soon.
And even if, unless they drop the support for Mac/Linux, they still would likely have to keep quite some code for OpenGL anyway, with which DX11 will most likely share more code than with DX12.
If they'd drop support for Win7/Win8, then I'd guess that they'd announce that quite early on. Like … at least half a year before. Has not happened so far. Same for Mac/Linux obviously.
xXCARL1992Xx

#308 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 28 May 2023 19:45

they didnt announce none support for Windows XP and Vista either, and those were minimum req. once at release of ETS2 before they uped them, if Steam stops working on Windows 7/8/8.1 DX11 wont help these people either, they wont get any updates anymore and legacy updates are dead for ETS2 since 1.40
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Some newbie driver

#309 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 May 2023 19:48

DX12 to the game as it is now will provide little to none improvement. One of the biggest points on DX12 is that multiple graphic-handling CPU threads can communicate in parallel with the GPU to boost (a LOT) the graphic performance. That's pointless in the current state of the game because it's mono-core not just for the graphics but for the main part of the relevant threads of the game. There are lots of other details, but to lose that major point... Just guessing that its low worth the work to DX12 migration if that multi-GPU-threading can't be leveraged.

So, if I'm right, either they will switch to multi-core first and DX12 later, either they will do both things at the same time. The first option seems less risky as it allows to test and iron one part (that it's not easy at all by itself) before facing the second part. But maybe separate it that way will lead to more total work so they could opt to do it on a single step (hence more time to release it all). Also, the game is way WAY more eager to features that require that extra CPU cores than is eager to better graphics. Better graphics is always welcome, but actual ones aren't that bad.

Whatever, don't expect DX12 to change A LOT the graphics at the beginning. It would be more a point of performance. We were seeing RttBS tease screenshots for a long time and nobody realized they were done with DX11. When as SCS explained, DX9 was incompatible with several features they start to include in that DLC 3D assets (hence the complete DX9 support drop before that DLC). But DO expect they will tease with whatever the multi-core allows them to do once it gives plenty of extra CPU cycles to be used. Because whatever it will be, they know it's something the game has been lacking for long and we will be happy to finally get.

So, it's more probable that we will not "see coming" DX12 as we will "see coming" the multi-core. Because at this point of development of the game, the second is more required and indirectly more demanded; so it will attract the attention of way more people and even potential new/returning players. Priority-wise; I think it's objectively a better roadmap. A completely different history are any technical and logistical constrains.

Regards
JoeAlex23

#310 Post by JoeAlex23 » 28 May 2023 20:20

Berniyh wrote: 28 May 2023 19:42
The point of waiting for that specific point in time being?
Sorry, I just don't see how that would relate.

If you're talking about DX11: they're not going to drop that anytime soon.
And even if, unless they drop the support for Mac/Linux, they still would likely have to keep quite some code for OpenGL anyway, with which DX11 will most likely share more code than with DX12.
If they'd drop support for Win7/Win8, then I'd guess that they'd announce that quite early on. Like … at least half a year before. Has not happened so far. Same for Mac/Linux obviously.
Oh they WILL drop support for DX11 as soon as DX12 is fully implemented like they did with DX9 on Update 1.36, there is 0 point to keep updating things with DX11, you will be able to downgrade to the last version that supports DX11 like you can with DX9, but that's about it, they don't have any obligations to announce dropping support for W7/W8 that early if Steam already officially announced it.

OpenGL is a different story and they might also drop support for it until they can implement Vulkan, it's for the greater good of the game.

Return to “General discussion about the game”