Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

JoeAlex23

Re: Engine upgrade and DX12 coming to ETS2 and ATS!

#311 Post by JoeAlex23 » 28 May 2023 20:31

Some newbie driver wrote: 28 May 2023 19:48 DX12 to the game as it is now will provide little to none improvement. One of the biggest points on DX12 is that multiple graphic-handling CPU threads can communicate in parallel with the GPU to boost (a LOT) the graphic performance. That's pointless in the current state of the game because it's mono-core not just for the graphics but for the main part of the relevant threads of the game. There are lots of other details, but to lose that major point... Just guessing that its low worth the work to DX12 migration if that multi-GPU-threading can't be leveraged.

So, if I'm right, either they will switch to multi-core first and DX12 later, either they will do both things at the same time. The first option seems less risky as it allows to test and iron one part (that it's not easy at all by itself) before facing the second part. But maybe separate it that way will lead to more total work so they could opt to do it on a single step (hence more time to release it all). Also, the game is way WAY more eager to features that require that extra CPU cores than is eager to better graphics. Better graphics is always welcome, but actual ones aren't that bad.

Whatever, don't expect DX12 to change A LOT the graphics at the beginning. It would be more a point of performance. We were seeing RttBS tease screenshots for a long time and nobody realized they were done with DX11. When as SCS explained, DX9 was incompatible with several features they start to include in that DLC 3D assets (hence the complete DX9 support drop before that DLC). But DO expect they will tease with whatever the multi-core allows them to do once it gives plenty of extra CPU cycles to be used. Because whatever it will be, they know it's something the game has been lacking for long and we will be happy to finally get.

So, it's more probable that we will not "see coming" DX12 as we will "see coming" the multi-core. Because at this point of development of the game, the second is more required and indirectly more demanded; so it will attract the attention of way more people and even potential new/returning players. Priority-wise; I think it's objectively a better roadmap. A completely different history are any technical and logistical constrains.

Regards
I would guess DX12 and multi-core go hand to hand and they might release both things at the same time, multi-core support might be the first "big" update we will see with DX12.

I'm sure most of us are aware that DX12 is not just about graphics, is more about the overall performance of the game, they could totally do DX12 and keep the graphics exactly as they are, but as far as we know they aren't and that's where the "new render system" that Max has talked about before comes into play.

So i guess they will go with DX12 + multi-core support as the first release, and then maybe the next big update will be the new render system with support for better AA, AO, a better particles system, etc.

But only SCS knows the real answer for that.
flight50

#312 Post by flight50 » 28 May 2023 21:38

As long as we get both multi threading and multi core, I don't care about the order, lol. Just bring those 2. I do think its better to get both simultaneously along with the core foundation stuff. But things like AA support, DX12, etc that could be the rest of the foundation stuff, that can come later. We know DX12 is coming but we don't know enough details about the engine update in general.

If multi core and multi threading can be tested and stable by internal SCS, perhaps the community only needs to test it like a normal beta. At that point the AA, DX12, etc is more of the focus for the community to test if SCS gets multi core and multi threadless working great. As far as I know, they test on a baseline machine to check this stuff.
JoeAlex23

#313 Post by JoeAlex23 » 28 May 2023 22:23

I agree with that, but the thing is that there are some differences for multi-core/multi-thread support between DX11 and DX12 and is better to just focus on DX12 only to avoid doing things twice, from my personal software developer experience i say it's better to include DX12 and multi-core/multi-thread in a single update and just completely forget DX11 even exists :lol:
flight50

#314 Post by flight50 » 29 May 2023 01:09

All in one shot works for me. I don't expect much feature wise day one the engine is updated. There needs to be stability first. Many people will be pissed but the engine getting updated along is massive enough and could prove to be just a good as any feature. We don't have to have a new feature day one the ob releases. DX12 bringing a new render, AI improvements and weather improvements are not features to me. Those are core to come with the update imo. Those alone with a solid foundation can bring a solid new experience. If including DX12 with multi core/multi thread in one shot is easier, I hope SCS does just that. With how long its taking, I honestly think that's what they might be doing anyways. If not, so be it.

I don't know enough about programming but if all 3 are related and/or intertwined in whatever ways, seems like it is easier to tackle all 3 head first up front and adjust later based on feedback. I just know I'll be playing the heck out of the beta when the engine gets updated and won't be going back to the previous version. So I'll manage on my vanilla profile quite without mods somehow.
Berniyh

#315 Post by Berniyh » 29 May 2023 05:38

JoeAlex23 wrote: 28 May 2023 20:20Oh they WILL drop support for DX11 as soon as DX12 is fully implemented like they did with DX9 on Update 1.36, there is 0 point to keep updating things with DX11, you will be able to downgrade to the last version that supports DX11 like you can with DX9, but that's about it, they don't have any obligations to announce dropping support for W7/W8 that early if Steam already officially announced it.
I'm pretty sure they won't.
DX12 will have a lot of new code and that'll require a good amount of testing. Some of it will of course be done internally, but I'm pretty sure that they'll also have a much longer testing period than with DX11.
So for at least 2-3 releases, possibly more, they will keep both, because it's what any sane developer would do.
OpenGL is a different story and they might also drop support for it until they can implement Vulkan, it's for the greater good of the game.
If they were thinking of doing that they would've already done it long time ago, but so far they still keep it around.
angrybirdseller

#316 Post by angrybirdseller » 29 May 2023 05:42

Wah, Wah, my 200 mods are broke with update. We know some from last time threw tantrum from last-time dx9 to dx 11 update lol.
JoeAlex23

#317 Post by JoeAlex23 » 29 May 2023 05:59

That's literally why i said "they will drop support for DX11 as SOON as DX12 is fully implemented", exactly like it happened with DX9, but it seems like some people only read and interpret whatever they want...
Berniyh

#318 Post by Berniyh » 29 May 2023 07:05

That's because "fully implemented" is as unprecise as it gets.
raskol

#319 Post by raskol » 29 May 2023 08:41

What happens when scs software drops support for dx11;
1.no one will buy map dlc anymore
2.scs software gets backlash from those who love this game because they passed dx12
3.scs software suffers shortage in financing
4.they may have to lay off some employees
5. they might even stop developing the game engine.
6. They'll lose players.
7.dx12ers in the forum react, those who write in the forum even raise a flag of rebellion
8.map restructuring will be canceled when this happens

if scs software maintains both support (dx11/dx12);
1.it will be advantageous, there will be no loss of players, the demand will increase even more
2. map dlc's are easily bought by players.
3. they continue map reconstructions
4. the map develops further
5.they earn a lot of money as they maintain two supports
6. they don't get too much backlash, the players get what they want
xXCARL1992Xx

#320 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 29 May 2023 08:46

what nonsense is this, people who play the game with DX11 will have it on Windows 7/8/8.1, those people are irrelevant starting 2024
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”