Wolfi's American Workshop

Wolfi
Beta tester

Re: Wolfi's American Workshop

#161 Post by Wolfi » 17 Nov 2022 19:06

@ChiliBeef Wherever I had a chance to work with trucks, the mesh itself was referred to as grille, while the whole assembly was always called grill. Whether it is correct, or not, I don't really care 😜 I used the word 'grill' since forever and I intend to keep it that way 😛
As for the typo, nerves in my hands have been burned by almost 2 years of chemotherapy, basically killing any sensory feedback. At this point I'm happy I can still type things that even remotely resemble words known to humanity, so sorry, but you'll have to deal with my typos. 😜
As for the modelling stuff:
Yeah, your mesh is way to fine to model it. (Unless you find a willing paymodder who will rip it off of something else found on high-poly model sites 🤣) In your case a flat texture and optionally a normalmap does the trick.

For the Ford's AO, as mentioned before, I'm using hybrid system. Some parts of the cab use a generic AO texture (generic, soft gradient, mapped manually in certain parts), as it gives a natural effect on highly visible surfaces. Example of that would be top of the cab, just underneath the protruding roof edge. This creates a nice, subtle effect, which isn't too much "in-your-face", but I'd say it's noticeable enough, especially if you compare the model with and without it. On the other hand, all of the smaller details, like all the borders between parts and doors etc. use vertex AO (basically solid, darker AO color), because they are so small, that a vertex color versus texture gradient don't make much of a visual difference. (and I find vertex painting less tedious) I'm not using normalmaps for the cab itself. I guess it would be a viable option, but at the same time, the cab doesn't really have all that much detail to justify the usage of custom normalmaps. I would go for one if the cab was rivetted, but it is not, so that's one thing I was able to skip. A lot of smaller accessories do use normalmaps for their shape though.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
ChiliBeef

#162 Post by ChiliBeef » 17 Nov 2022 19:48

@Wolfi Oh, I'm merely teasing with the typos. :) I've seen how the game itself incorrectly calls it "grill', so there's no way around that, of course. I mean, English is obviously not their first language so there's going to be some nuances here and there. :mrgreen: And, 2 years of chemo? Holy shit, that's, like, more than 1 year! (Okay, that joke sounded funnier in my head. So hard to convey tone through text. :))

I have no problem creating a highly detailed mesh but, yes, that would seriously hog resources. And, as far as I'm concerned, there's a limit I'll go with detailing depending on how large or up close you'll see the object.

Oh, that's right, you did mention about that hybrid system. I completely forgot about that. One too many knocks on the head has made my brain like a Lazy Susan; if you give it some time, it'll come back around. :mrgreen:

And, please forgive my ignorance but, every time I see "vertex paint" I keep thinking of those little vertex dots you can grab and move around in Blender to shape an object. So picturing them as being a source of color, as compared to the faces which show the actual texture or gradient, keeps tripping me up. I wonder why they call it vertex color and not face color? :?: Anyway, if I understand you correctly, there are smaller parts of an object that you'll purposely have as a darker shade than the rest of the main object? If that's so, then I was doing it correctly with my Legacy Sleeper and darkening smaller crevices to give a sort of "shadow" or depth to it. Well, that's a load off my mind, I wasn't sure if doing it that way was wrong. Or, give poor results.
You can write almost any way you want, and you might make yourself understood.
But, if you don't use standard English properly, you would also help people understand that you aren't well educated.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#163 Post by Wolfi » 17 Nov 2022 21:15

It's called Vertex AO, or Vertex paint, because that's basically what you do - you paint those single movable vertices. There are a few possible methods of doing it. But in the end, that's exactly what you do. And yes, as you said, it allows you to "paint" the object to be darker shade than anything around. The only issue with this method is it's a bit harder to make smooth, naturally looking transitions. There are of course addons for Blender that help with it, but I never really took the time to learn how to use them. So, for larger areas where the shadow falloff has to be smoother, I still tend to use textures.
In the end though it's always good to experiment. There's no ultimate solution. A method that works on model A doesn't necessarily have to work on model B. Unless you're Carl, then whatever method you use seems to always work perfectly, kinda sus... 🤔
ChiliBeef

#164 Post by ChiliBeef » 17 Nov 2022 21:59

@@Wolfi Well, I mean that vertex dot is just a dot. You can't see anything until you have at least 3 of them to form a face and the face shows whatever material you apply to it. I'm probably not grasping the concept fully because maybe it's more prevalent in the Sculpting workspace and not in the Modeling workspace.

Yes, @xXCARL1992Xx seems to be incredibly knowledgeable on the little tricks and whatnot within Blender. I don't think he's human, I think he's something else... ever seen the movie The Lawnmower Man? :lol:
But, if you don't use standard English properly, you would also help people understand that you aren't well educated.
xXCARL1992Xx

#165 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 17 Nov 2022 22:14

vertices store date on what to do during rendering, not only position but also color, hence vertex painting, you actually paint the point and from this point on the color will then fade out or keep its intensity if the next vertex has the same color data

https://i.imgur.com/LEa9Dnt.png
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
ChiliBeef

#166 Post by ChiliBeef » 18 Nov 2022 13:50

@xXCARL1992Xx Ah, now I understand, thank you.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#167 Post by Wolfi » 19 Nov 2022 12:58

Time for some screenshots :D

I went back to the large sleeper, just for a bit of a change. Decided to take the shiny sausage for a spin and haul some fuel and other liquidy thingies.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
ChiliBeef

#168 Post by ChiliBeef » 19 Nov 2022 19:04

That bottom screenshot is my favorite. Truck definitely has some presence with its squared-jaw look. And, I'm so in love with those stacked headlights.
Last edited by ChiliBeef on 19 Nov 2022 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#169 Post by Wolfi » 19 Nov 2022 20:51

To be perfectly honest, I do like the round variant as well, but my brain is having a hard time comprehending their shape and possible steps to recreate it :?
ChiliBeef

#170 Post by ChiliBeef » 19 Nov 2022 20:54

I feel round headlights would break the flow of all the square edges of the truck. Seeing what it looks like with round headlights, it looks a bit dorky. :lol:

[ external image ]

Return to “Game”