Adventures in truck restoration

Ernie D

Re: Adventures in truck restoration

#41 Post by Ernie D » 18 Jan 2022 15:29

There is one on each side, that is reinforcement bars for the radiator support. I had to revise them for the modifications Ive done so far
Proprietor/Painter of Southland Mods
BK Vissers

#42 Post by BK Vissers » 19 Jan 2022 12:58

Ernie D wrote: 18 Jan 2022 15:29 There is one on each side, that is reinforcement bars for the radiator support. I had to revise them for the modifications Ive done so far
I see. I guess the assembly at the radiator is a sort of vibration damper?
Ernie D

#43 Post by Ernie D » 19 Jan 2022 15:28

Correct, the radiator support has rubber isolators mounted between it and frame to insulate the radiator from the frame, and the support arms are insulated too
Ernie D

#44 Post by Ernie D » 17 Feb 2022 01:44

Sorry its been a while since I've posted, just been working a lot and hadn't had much time, and also Ive been waiting on parts to arrive, but now I have a little bit of progress. I received my clutch on a monday and received my transmission on thursday of the same week. The transmission combo I decided to go with it, for my main transmission, its a Eaton RTX14609P 9 speed, and the auxiliary Im running will be a spicer 7041 4 speed, which Ive shared a couple of photos of it earlier. This week I was off of work for my long off, I managed to get both installed, then, I managed to test fit the cab on the chassis for the changes Ive done so far. Hope yall enjoy :)

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
PBandJ

#45 Post by PBandJ » 17 Feb 2022 02:30

Very impressive!
Ernie D

#46 Post by Ernie D » 07 Mar 2022 01:45

Got another update for yall 8-) :), I believe I may of figured out why the truck was originally parked. I decided to open up the original steering gear to check it, Im glad I did, turns out the worm gear on the end of the steering shaft was damaged beyond repair, it would of had excessive slack and/or binding up while trying to turn the wheel.

[ external image ]

I did a little bit of research and managed to source a company that refurbishes vintage truck steering gears, and/or upgrades. Which my truck originally did not have power steering, and they offered a replacement gear that was power steering, I only had to do some fabrication to make things look factory and function as it should. Heres some photos of the progress. Hope yall enjoy 8-)

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
BK Vissers

#47 Post by BK Vissers » 07 Mar 2022 12:12

Lots of detailed goodness here!

There is no risk that notching the frame rail to fit the power steering unit I’ll weaken the frame?
Ernie D

#48 Post by Ernie D » 07 Mar 2022 12:49

@BK Vissers the frame was already notched there for the original steering box. Adding the iron like I did actually strengthen it a little more
BK Vissers

#49 Post by BK Vissers » 07 Mar 2022 17:29

I wondered about that too, it seemed like reinforcement indeed. Thanks for the update!
Ernie D

#50 Post by Ernie D » 21 Mar 2022 02:05

Got another update for yall 8-) , I managed to get some more work on the ole project. Most of my planned work for the weekend became reality, with 3 very productive days :) . First thing on the agenda was to fab the hangers for the primary and secondary air tanks, while trying to maintain ground clearance and space, which its starting to become a little crowded, but its still manageable.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Second project on the weekend agenda, fab the rear mount for the main transmission. This was a long awaited project. Id been researching different types of rubber mounting solutions, and I finally decided on what type I wanted to use, which is a "biscuit" type mount, which is a 2 piece design that sandwiches the frame mount. Here's some pics of that progress 8-)
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Third project on the agenda this weekend was, reinstall the fuel tank mounts and fab a mounting bracket for the air dryer, here's a few pictures of the progress 8-)
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Hope you like the progress so far, hopefully as much as I like making progress and sharing it with yall ;)

Return to “Real world”