Louisiana Discussion Thread

Shiva

Re: Louisiana Discussion Thread

#161 Post by Shiva » 08 Aug 2022 10:48

If 3 teams and a little bit bigger maps, the it could be possible try to have a release of 2 map DLC's / year.
Someone else could count what that work months / team and DLC that would make, in the long run.

Or what if 4 teams and about 3DLC's/year?

LA and AR combo? would be nice.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
VTXcnME

#162 Post by VTXcnME » 08 Aug 2022 12:28

So from everything that I've read here, it seems Texas team is huge. 30 people? @flight50 is that correct? Anyway, between Montana and Texas, I figure there's gotta be somewhere in the order of 40-ish mappers working on new DLC.

If SCS follows thru on what they've previously suggested, split into 3 new map teams (they should comfortably be able to staff 12 per team) with a few left over going to the rebuild/redesign team. 4 total map teams.

The 100,000sq mile DLC size usually takes about 10-14 months from start to finish under current conditions (Did I read somewhere Colorado had 8 or 9 on the team?) with the added members I can't see that target timeframe slowing down. Even with the denser infrastructure, as I've previously stated, some stuff has to get left out at the current scale... so density will only be so dense in the urban areas. If there are three teams working, and each of them have a 10-14 month turn around time to drop new DLC, I could easily see 2 DLC's per year, 3 depending on how the timing falls. That means (if they follow the smaller state bundling idea) we could be getting 3 states per year going forward which would be awesome, Cruising events all year long. It would be very amazing.

Either way Louisiana is going to show us what SCS plans to do for smaller states... do we get a bundle of AR/LA? Or will they drop the price of Louisiana DLC from $11.99 to $5.99 to account for the half sized DLC? I hope they don't run half size DLC at full price. That would be a terrible idea we should never endorse...
flight50

#163 Post by flight50 » 08 Aug 2022 14:40

@VTXcnME Yes, on the Montana stream Pavel said there are 30 people on Texas. Also in the same stream he said there are over 30 mappers for ATS and about 100 people involved directly with ATS. The rule of thumb a long time ago from MandelSoft (when he worked at SCS) was that for every mapper there is 1 asset person. With 100 people for ATS, that seems somewhat true if not a little more. We also know from Jakub's last stream that he said Montana and Texas left the rebuild team with only 3 people including him. So that is at least 33 people. I'd like to think the number could be closer to 40 though because I don't think everyone went to Texas after Montana released. In order to have Oklahoma for next Summer, we need workers there jump starting it. Once Texas finishes, OMG. This will get cranking.

Louisiana gets left behind though. Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska are the front runners with Pavel saying 3 dlc's are in the works. If Route 66 is on his mind, Louisiana is out for at least the next 3-4 years.

As far as mappers though. 12 might be a bit more than what they need moving forward with smaller states. Colorado was like 10-11 iirc. 8-9 was Utah and Idaho. We can get back to 8-9 after Texas per team. If we have close to 40 mappers, each team could have closer to 10 people on avg. Butttttt states won't require that after Texas. The Montana team rolled thru that dlc is less than 12 months. 2/3 of the state like I've been saying for awhile was much easier to map. The next couple years will be like mapping that 2/3 of Montana.
Last edited by flight50 on 08 Aug 2022 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
oldmanclippy

#164 Post by oldmanclippy » 08 Aug 2022 14:56

I think a likely way that Louisiana could get in in a timely manner, is if it was bundled with Arkansas. I think Arkansas is getting close to "too small for $11.99" territory. It would have to be about 85% more dense than Wyoming, about twice as dense as Colorado, or about 35% more dense than Washington, to get us similar value to those. There's more tree wall roads in Arkansas so it can get denser but not thaaat much denser, IMO. 8 or 9 cities. I think it'll have a similar level of content to Idaho, and they needed to put Idaho in the PNW bundle on launch because there was concern that it wasn't worth $11.99. So maybe AR could get a similar treatment, but otherwise releasing it alongside Louisiana could be a good option too.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
VTXcnME

#165 Post by VTXcnME » 08 Aug 2022 15:03

@flight50 I think 4 teams of 10 addresses a few concerns others have shared with density of roads/cities in states east of Mississippi river. It also allows the teams to keep pace on DLC release dates/timeframes. Having 3 new DLC teams working would certainly allow for a new state DLC or state bundle to be released every 6 or 7ish months.

I remember Pavel saying at one point he wanted to hit the Atlantic ASAP, did we ever figure out if our foreign friends are calling the Gulf of Mexico the Atlantic? Because as someone who lives on the east coast, I've *NEVER* said "The Atlantic" in reference to the gulf area. Totally different biome/world versus the colder Atlantic.

If they've redefined where exactly the Atlantic ocean starts (I know technically the Gulf of Mexico is the Atlantic, in the Caribbean sea... but absolutely no one locals or otherwise refer to it as such) and are calling Texas 'hitting the Atlantic' then I'd be absolutely fine with them finishing the "big squares" and then moving east. It'd keep the map square-ish, which I have to be honest, is much more important for delivery routes than I realized.

If "hitting the Atlantic" doesn't mean the actual Atlantic ocean but the Caribbean sea, then my guesses of LA/AR and the other bundled states coming in tandem with other single larger state DLC's is moot.

We can all guess all day long what's next, but clearly even with breadcrumbs and obvious hints, we're still just blindly guessing for the most part. I'm still hoping one team starts branching east after Texas and pushes out AR/LA then MS/AL. Second team could finish their big state (lets assume it's the Kansas team) and hit MO/IA then TN/KY. The Nebraska team could hit IL/IN then SC/NC. I'm all for the big states, but I really want to see the Atlantic Ocean proper get I-40 start to finish and drive I-95... a road I've driven many times IRL.
oldmanclippy wrote: 08 Aug 2022 14:56 I think a likely way that Louisiana could get in in a timely manner, is if it was bundled with Arkansas. I think Arkansas is getting close to "too small for $11.99" territory. It would have to be about 85% more dense than Wyoming, about twice as dense as Colorado, or about 35% more dense than Washington, to get us similar value to those. There's more tree wall roads in Arkansas so it can get denser but not thaaat much denser, IMO. 8 or 9 cities. I think it'll have a similar level of content to Idaho, and they needed to put Idaho in the PNW bundle on launch because there was concern that it wasn't worth $11.99. So maybe AR could get a similar treatment, but otherwise releasing it alongside Louisiana could be a good option too.
I look more at Square miles as a target for the $11.99 value. Colorado was a solid state, they had some density around Colorado Springs/Denver area. I think anything smaller than 45,000-ish square miles needs to be bundled with another adjacent state of similar size to justify the $11.99 value. Paying full price for a state smaller than 60,000 square miles (regardless of the density of the road network) feels overpriced. One man's opinon. Probably off-base.
flight50

#166 Post by flight50 » 08 Aug 2022 15:25

Yeah I agree with 10. That gets us a more complete state with density. But with lots of tree walls coming, is what debate needing 10. East of the line below, I think its tree wall and vegetation galore all the way to the coast. Those of you in that area of the country know better than I do. I only know Arkansas as I've lived there as well long with Louisiana from traveling it. But its pure green with lots of green tunnel like roads.

[ external image ]

Technically the Gulf of Mexico is the Atlantic but yes, I never grew up thinking of it in that way. That's not what the school system taught us, lol. But yes, I so favor a Arkansas/Louisiana bundle. I was hoping that was our first bundle. Makes more sense than reducing the prince as both together equal 12 months of work if they have the right size team. I'd dedicate 13-15 on that though. Dakotas is the second best option for first bundle. That too is a 13-15 man team. Both bundles shouldn't go w.i.p. at the same time though. In order to get 13-15, the extra needs to come from not needing so many on other projects. This is why I like the base map remaining as phased. More and more new stuff comes and the base map can use it. So no need to rush the base map imho.
55sixxx

#167 Post by 55sixxx » 08 Aug 2022 16:14

Oh boy, I know one thing for sure... This year's Christmas stream will be on another level. Would be awesome if Oklahome got announced around the same time as Montana/Wyoming did and in the Xmas stream they tease both KS and NE.
flight50

#168 Post by flight50 » 08 Aug 2022 16:20

@55sixxx I think that is very possible. That's what I'd do. Worse case we can get a picture teaser from Annie again like what we got for Montana or something like the Wyoming teaser, a short video teaser. Something simple but get confirmation to think. Then on the xmas stream, yessss it could be wild, lol.
55sixxx

#169 Post by 55sixxx » 08 Aug 2022 16:25

Actually, the Montana teaser was done just a little over a month after WY released and WY itself was teased less than a month after CO released... So we could be getting a new state teaser at the end of August or very early September.
flight50

#170 Post by flight50 » 08 Aug 2022 16:32

Yep. I think sometime in Sept as the Montana event cools down, that is when the teaser for after Texas kicks in. This thread will die down a bit though since route 66 was hinted. At some point, we'll get to pick it back up.

Return to “General discussion about the game”