[REL] Western Star 4900 EX - RELEASED!

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Outlaw Transport

Re: [WIP] Western Star 4900 EX

#51 Post by Outlaw Transport » 16 Dec 2021 19:34

The annoying part of the baking process is all my past rookie mistakes is coming back to bite me. Plenty of hours and dickpain later and I'm now back to where I was last week, but with most things done correctly this time.

Someone asked about lightpack compatibility, and the answer is yes, I will support as many of them as I can. I absolutely cannot stand dealing with the horrendous and insanely unintuitive SCS lamp system. So aside from two different types of headlights (stock / aftermarket LED) the truck will come with the basic markers etc, and everything else will be done better with light mods. Because if I have to spend another second making lamp masks, I will seek out a real life 4900 EX and place my head in front of the wheels.

Obligatory thread update photo - work in progress of course, things are not done, or perfectly aligned yet;
[ external image ]
Ruward

#52 Post by Ruward » 16 Dec 2021 20:22

Hahaha, sounds like you're having fun :P
Nice work!
Greetings oet Grunn!
World of Trucks
TheOtherCorey

#53 Post by TheOtherCorey » 17 Dec 2021 03:35

Don’t hesitate to ask for help if you need lightmasks. They are actually wicked easy.
Sorry for my english, I'm american.
[ external image ]
Outlaw Transport

#54 Post by Outlaw Transport » 17 Dec 2021 07:52

Appreciate the offer @c.kiesman89! Any chance you could look at my two lamp texture dds files and mask and see what's wrong? That would be SUCH a huge help. I think I'm missing a step or my channels are wrong.

I've been using Photoshop extensively for over 25 years and I have no clue if the documentation is referencing the color channel in the main lamp texture or the mask, whether both should have alphas etc.
What's extra confusing is I look at other light mods and the textures in those seemingly have zero consistency. Some have alpha channels, some don't.

The UV tile stuff I *think* I understand. I just select the face in edit mode and click on whatever tile applies? That seems to work about 50% of the time - sometimes the UV map just jumps away from the texture area whenever I assign a position. :(

Not sure if it's relevant but those two texture files are for these lights;
[ external image ]
LeafeonGold

#55 Post by LeafeonGold » 17 Dec 2021 15:18

Just the color and alpha channels in the mask are the main important ones. Things like using clean rgb channels are important with them. If you need something to be red, make sure it's 100% red, and not the red from the color picker, which may add some green to make it more vibrant.
"Don't try extra hard to make your presence known, but make sure your absence is noticed."

Intel I7-4790K |//| XFX Radeon RX 590 8GB |//| 16GB RAM |//| 1TB HDD​
Workshop |//| ATS Screens |//| ETS2 Screens
Outlaw Transport

#56 Post by Outlaw Transport » 18 Dec 2021 19:59

Thanks guys, this is excellent info! My confusion seemed to have been based on two things - which alpha does what, as well as the lamp switcher tool preview thing being a sonofabich. What looked wrong in there was actually fine in game.

In other news, I decided to slow the pace down a bit. I wanted to get it out there quickly, but I'm gonna take my time and do it well and not rely on some imaginary deadline that won't do this truck any favors. I still plan on getting a beta out by end of year. So if you want to test it, shoot me a message.

Obligatory progress pic;
Heavy haul rack starting to take shape
[ external image ]
jackpeterbilt

#57 Post by jackpeterbilt » 19 Dec 2021 02:32

@Outlaw Transport can I test it
Ruward

#58 Post by Ruward » 19 Dec 2021 10:16

Nice work!
Greetings oet Grunn!
World of Trucks
Knuckelhead

#59 Post by Knuckelhead » 21 Dec 2021 20:14

Great stuff Outlaw, take your time!
Outlaw Transport

#60 Post by Outlaw Transport » 22 Dec 2021 19:35

Rapidly closing in on having a beta available - if you want to try it out, shoot me a PM and let me know and I'll send you a link once it's ready for testing.

Random progress pics below. One of my pet peeves is poor looking metal and chrome so I have put a LOT of effort into making it look as good as possible. It's still a tiny bit too dark but getting there.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Return to “Trucks”