A Rework of the Garage System

jab98

Re: A Rework of the Garage System

#31 Post by jab98 » 26 Jul 2022 16:50

SouthernMan wrote: 25 Jul 2022 22:08 Exatcly y'all. What makes me sad is knowing that this is not something extraordinary for SCS to do, they can easily do it in a few hours.
Your yard looks fairly decent and promising. I'm not saying it's not a good idea or it's impossible for SCS to implement something like this, but in my honest opinion there is more that goes into it than you think. You really need to consider the fact that there is a wide range of trailers and trucks that people would want in their yards, so how would SCS facilitate that so that people can have what they want? Sure, they could bring back parking lots to store owned vehicles like Haulin' had (which I hope they do at some point), but they really need to add functional companies to these locations too to make them worthwhile, and again with the wide range of trailers and cargos how would they facilitate that so that it matches the style that the player is going for?

You also have to consider the performance impact this could have on a lot of players systems, most of the yards you see ingame full of trailers are quite low poly and lack detail, so they don't create a huge performance hit. You get something like this and it could be a whole different story, then the forum and facebook groups and other places would be full of comments like "SCS released a broken update I can't even use" etc.
SouthernMan

#32 Post by SouthernMan » 26 Jul 2022 16:59

Yes, I know that. It's like I always say in some of my posts on other threads, I believe they have a sort of no-do-things policy and that they always try to maintain a standard.

But I don't exactly talk about the places being full of details, I mean the kind of prefabs they use. They make different prefabs, put them in different places, but they always look the same. This is the point.

And yeah, I know it impacts performance, it's obvious. But as I said before, my point is not exactly about the details, but the way they build their prefabs. And yes, I also know that the person making the prefabs is not the mappers.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
Travismods

#33 Post by Travismods » 28 Jul 2022 19:42

Needless to say this is an incredibly good suggestion made for the garage system by @seriousmods. Well done, this is exactly the kind of leveling the garage system should encompass.

On the topic of level 1, that is owning a house for our truck, I have little faith in SCS bringing that kind of interactivity to the vast amount of real estate and suburbia featured in the game but it is so cool to think about. Perhaps they could at least do something small with the real estate when creating map DLCs, because something is more than doing nothing with it and leaving it inaccessible and dead.

Beyond not continuing to block driveways off in game, which many people that want to roleplay find annoying, here's an idea for something that is very easy for SCS mappers to do all over the map that at least makes ATS truckers feel like they can have a home beyond the garage, at least until SCS does all what @seriousmods suggests.

Below, I have removed the invisible wall that is almost always in the way of the driveway, customized the property and given it an actual address and sleep function in South Salt Lake. I am currently working on adding it as an official "garage" for fast travel. If SCS would throw in like 5 of these houses in each city, which becomes a bed on the minimap, at least players could on the surface role play actually living somewhere with their truck that is not one of the garages:

[ external image ]

As you can see, the house has an address as you approach it with the truck and the driveway can be used for sleep with a common trigger. This is very easy stuff for the map team to throw in there to add some life and realism to the cities. While this is pretty shallow in its core, once you start adding this all over the map it does add to making cities feel more alive and giving us truckers at least some kind of a virtual home in the world, I think.

[ external image ]
Optional Features

#34 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jul 2022 19:55

@koolizz That is pretty awesome!

Another use for all of these houses in game is as delivery spots. Semis deliver cars (fancy ones in some cases) to people's homes, and of course there are tons of household moves also done with semis.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Doesn't seem like this would be too hard to add to the game as a mod or even official feature.
Travismods

#35 Post by Travismods » 28 Jul 2022 23:32

Yeah, delivering a supercar to a house now and loading off in front of it that would be amazing no doubt.
SouthernMan

#36 Post by SouthernMan » 28 Jul 2022 23:38

Having the option to buy a house would be awesome, but I still think a backyard like this would be more interesting:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
But of course, being able to have a house would definitely be something amazing and it certainly reflects the reality of many truck drivers.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
Optional Features

#37 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jul 2022 23:42

SouthernMan wrote: 28 Jul 2022 23:38 Having the option to buy a house would be awesome, but I still think a backyard like this would be more interesting:

But of course, being able to have a house would definitely be something amazing and it certainly reflects the reality of many truck drivers.
Yeah, the thing I like most about these yards is how used they feel. They aren't sterile.
koolizz wrote: 28 Jul 2022 23:32 Yeah, delivering a supercar to a house now and loading off in front of it that would be amazing no doubt.
It could be part of the car industry if they really fleshed it out.
SouthernMan

#38 Post by SouthernMan » 28 Jul 2022 23:49

Exactly bud! It seems that now it would be interesting to transform these yard into functional garages. 8-) :lol:
Optional Features

#39 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jul 2022 23:51

SouthernMan wrote: 28 Jul 2022 23:49 Exactly bud! It seems that now it would be interesting to transform these yard into functional garages. 8-) :lol:
That would be perfect! Having a shop would probably be optional for a tiny trucking outfit: they'd just need a place to store trailers and trucks temporarily.
SouthernMan

#40 Post by SouthernMan » 29 Jul 2022 00:00

Exactly! It really looks like a good idea. :D

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”