A Rework of the Garage System

Optional Features

A Rework of the Garage System

#1 Post by Optional Features » 22 Dec 2021 08:33

The current ATS garage system does not fit the realities of American trucking. American trucking companies do not construct brick walls around their facilities or add a bay to the shop every time a truck is added. A better system would be the following.

1 Truck

The player has the option to buy a house in one of the game's many neighborhoods, and park the tractor in the driveway. Trailers could be visibly stored on a side street, in a parking lot, or behind a business in an industrial area.

[ external image ]

2-5 Trucks

The player has the option to buy a piece of land with a fence around it. With extra money, he can pay for a simple shop (like a quonset hut) that could be used for truck repairs and customization. Trailers could be stored visibly in the yard.

[ external image ]

6-10 Trucks

The player has the option to expand the yard to include a 2-3 bay shop and more room to store trucks and trailers.

[ external image ]

11-20 Trucks

The player has the option to expand the yard further to store more trucks and trailers, and add a fourth bay to the shop.

[ external image ]

21-50 Trucks

The player had the option to expand the yard further yet and store more trucks and trailers. The shop options increase to 5 or 6 bays.

[ external image ]

51-100 Trucks

The player has the option to purchase a terminal with a dispatching office, a larger shop, and a warehouse to store goods. The yard would also be expanded more to house more trucks and trailers, and there would be an option to add a custom landscaped sign in front of the facility.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Last edited by Optional Features on 22 Dec 2021 08:51, edited 2 times in total.
plykkegaard

Re: A Rework of the Garage System

#2 Post by plykkegaard » 22 Dec 2021 08:45

Nice option to have a transport hub and terminal
It could replace a warehouse or building not accessible otherwise
Yes first buildingq could easily a decent house with space for parking the truck rather than the first garage

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Optional Features

#3 Post by Optional Features » 22 Dec 2021 08:53

plykkegaard wrote: 22 Dec 2021 08:45 Nice option to have a transport hub and terminal
It could replace a warehouse or building not accessible otherwise
Yes first buildingq could easily a decent house with space for parking the truck rather than the first garage
That's a great idea. There are a number of unused warehouses around the map that could easily be used as terminals. And there are several shops that could be truck yards as well. The neighborhoods are all over the map, but some are nearly inaccessible (or are). In addition to being cheap garages, some could be delivery spots for furniture, tech goods, cars, and building supplies.
axl135

#4 Post by axl135 » 22 Dec 2021 17:34

I think it would make sense to buy new property in order to expand your fleet. Same goes with having a couple of large terminals as opposed to having dozens of little garages all over the place for your fleet. Also, parking trailers outside would be preferable over opening a dimensional rift to store your trailers. Finally, the large garage is depicted with an engine on a hoist, so I see no reason why we can’t have maintenance operations there.
flight50

#5 Post by flight50 » 22 Dec 2021 18:22

Yeah this thread is pretty much saying what I've linked in my post for the 1.44 speculation thread. viewtopic.php?p=1646896#p1646896. I've mention it for 2 years now. Each link in that post states something that benefits the game for garages.

I don't see the need to go beyond 50 trucks though. That eats up way too much space. US roads are already huge and that takes away space as is. US trucks stops are huge as well. I don't see garage lots being much larger than the average truck stop. Currently we don't have packed out truck stops and that's a game limitation. As long as truck stops are limited, so will garage lots. But I'd draw the line at 50.

We might only get to access the front half of that too. The rest covered by low poly AI models. Give us about 20-25 slots max for us to place our trucks or for MP purposes to meet up, VTC purposes, whatever. No need to take up more space when we can get use for space for industry or something interactive. We only need the visual for packed, we should need an entire site that is unlimited. We only get 5 trucks per garage and we can't see them in game. So 20-25 would be feasible. No need to be greedy and want more.

Heck, I'm good showing 10-15. Still more than what we have now. If such a thing ever kicks off, expect the number to be low to start. I'd only go as high of a number to sync with MP honestly. If its maxed at 8, the garage should be 8. If we every get to 15-20, the garages should be 15-20. Whatever performance works for MP should work for everywhere else in which human players can all play at once. Single player campaign is different. There are AI models that are less on the pc, but for MP and VTC, different story as the pc has to calculate a lot more input. Especially with mods now.
Optional Features

#6 Post by Optional Features » 22 Dec 2021 18:36

flight50 wrote: 22 Dec 2021 18:22 Yeah this thread is pretty much saying what I've linked in my post for the 1.44 speculation thread. viewtopic.php?p=1646896#p1646896. I've mention it for 2 years now. Each link in that post states something that benefits the game for garages.

I don't see the need to go beyond 50 trucks though. That eats up way too much space. US roads are already huge and that takes away space as is. US trucks stops are huge as well. I don't see garage lots being much larger than the average truck stop. Currently we don't have packed out truck stops and that's a game limitation. As long as truck stops are limited, so will garage lots. But I'd draw the line at 50.

We might only get to access the front half of that too. The rest covered by low poly AI models. Give us about 20-25 slots max for us to place our trucks or for MP purposes to meet up, VTC purposes, whatever. No need to take up more space when we can get use for space for industry or something interactive. We only need the visual for packed, we should need an entire site that is unlimited. We only get 5 trucks per garage and we can't see them in game. So 20-25 would be feasible. No need to be greedy and want more.

Heck, I'm good showing 10-15. Still more than what we have now. If such a thing ever kicks off, expect the number to be low to start. I'd only go as high of a number to sync with MP honestly. If its maxed at 8, the garage should be 8. If we every get to 15-20, the garages should be 15-20. Whatever performance works for MP should work for everywhere else in which human players can all play at once. Single player campaign is different. There are AI models that are less on the pc, but for MP and VTC, different story as the pc has to calculate a lot more input. Especially with mods now.
Some low poly static models would be nice to start, but I would love to be able to use any trailer I can see.

And yes, the numbers might be too high, but anything is better than nothing.
axl135 wrote: 22 Dec 2021 17:34 I think it would make sense to buy new property in order to expand your fleet. Same goes with having a couple of large terminals as opposed to having dozens of little garages all over the place for your fleet. Also, parking trailers outside would be preferable over opening a dimensional rift to store your trailers. Finally, the large garage is depicted with an engine on a hoist, so I see no reason why we can’t have maintenance operations there.
Agreed. It's really frustrating to try to buy a truck and realize you don't have a "slot" for it.
nater6540

#7 Post by nater6540 » 25 Mar 2022 20:01

to add to your large terminal idea for 51 to 100 trucks, what about on-site refueling and repair facilities, as well as giving new players the option to start out as yard jockeys at these terminals before slowly climbing higher up the trucking corporate ladder?
Optional Features

#8 Post by Optional Features » 25 Mar 2022 23:46

nater6540 wrote: 25 Mar 2022 20:01 to add to your large terminal idea for 51 to 100 trucks, what about on-site refueling and repair facilities, as well as giving new players the option to start out as yard jockeys at these terminals before slowly climbing higher up the trucking corporate ladder?
That would be awesome!

Terminals have so many moving parts that they could become almost a separate part of the gameplay like managing a business, hiring employees to fill roles, bolstering a fleet of trucks, etc.

But yes, yard jockeys and straight trucks should be part of any terminal system as well as the ability to break trailer sets (doubles and triples, etc).

Also, foe the leveling up part, this goes to a driver reputation idea which is also badly needed. I touched on this when talking about dynamic companies (and multi load contracts with bonuses for performance/penalties for a lack thereof).

Drivers should have a reason to drive well, and perks for doing so. And this should be part of it.

Few people start off as an owner operator, but that's kinda how the game makes it seem. Get some money, buy a truck. Nah, most people start off working for someone and building a clean driving record.
Optional Features

#9 Post by Optional Features » 03 Apr 2022 07:49

Decided to build part of a SAIA terminal in Farming Sim as an example. This is what I'd like to see in ATS. Multiple trailers (even if they all couldn't be used like here), multiple trucks (again even if not used), a shop (with the ability to repair trucks and trailers), an office for dispatch staff, etc.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Viper28

#10 Post by Viper28 » 04 Apr 2022 00:59

heck I'd like to just be able see some or even most of my fleet (trucks, trailers) in the game world, even if they aren't on the road. And when they're assigned even if they simply disappear. I'd take that over what things are now. But I'm nearly convinced that it's going to take someone with a vision and passion for this in the helm or near the helm of SCS to even start sniffing this kind of gameplay. Sad. this game is perpetually stuck in elementary school. Time to graduate some.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”