Printable Road Atlas of ATS with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.49 - WIP

SenseFM

Printable Road Atlas of ATS with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.49 - WIP

#1 Post by SenseFM » 22 Dec 2021 19:56

Hi everyone, I present you my project to map (almost) every city, road, village and landmark currently featured in American Truck Simulator and its DLCs! The result is the road map below which, made in an atlas style, is also meant to be printed and used as a physical map to navigate in the game. The project is a work in progress and will be updated alongside the game. Enjoy and feel free to comment any suggestions or mistakes that you find the map!

You can also find a version for ETS2 in the following thread: viewtopic.php?p=1646943#p1646943

To view and download the HD version, just right-click on the image below and 'Open it as a new tab!'

If you prefer to reject the forum's cookies, you can also download the map by clicking on this link: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/533 ... 0dd8_o.png

WARNING: The original image that will open after clicking the picture below is pretty large (18 MB). Watch out if you're browsing using mobile data!

[ external image ]

FAQs and extra information

Why is X place not in the map?

To avoid over cluttering the map with labels, I made some rules for myself:
  • Features located inside a marked city are not included because there would not be enough space for them.
  • The towns that are visible but inaccessible while being part of larger metropolitan areas have only been included if they are specifically signed in the game. This has been made to avoid the addition of too many labels.
  • Mountain passes are only shown when some noticeable change in elevation exists in the game.
  • Airports are not shown as a landmark, they are many of them and are easily recognizable.
  • Important industries, such as chemical plants or hydroelectric dams are currently included as landmarks, but I’m not sure about their inclusion since the definition of ‘important industry’ is not very clear.
Keep in mind this is still a Work In Progress and it probably has several mistakes. Feel free to comment or suggest any errors or information that you think is missing!

How did you make the map?

I used QGIS (https://www.qgis.org/en/site/), a free mapmaking software that lets you edit geospatial information to create and analyze maps. QGIS lets you use OpenStreetMap and Google Maps as background basemaps for reference, which helped me to add towns and landmarks as points and "draw" roads and highways as vectors. The background of the map was made combining several 'shapefiles'. Shapefiles are files that contain geographic data for any topic (they can have information about coastlines, borders, mountains, rivers...). I get my basic shapefiles from www.naturalearthdata.com, which offers public domain data.

Once I had more or less everything in place, I exported the map as a PNG, and I made the final edits and refinement with the paint.net image editing software.

How did you find information for the landmarks?

Most of the research for the landmarks on this map was made 'manually', that is, examining every in-game road with the dev cam, taking note of every interesting place, and then trying to find their IRL counterparts on Google Maps or OpenStreetMap.

And again, feel free to comment any errors or missing places that you see in the map! Even now I'm still finding new villages and landmarks that I hadn't caught before. Enjoy!
Last edited by SenseFM on 08 Mar 2024 19:57, edited 12 times in total.
parasaurolophus67

Re: ATS 1.43 Atlas Project - WIP - Road map of the towns, roads and landmarks featured in the game

#2 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 22 Dec 2021 19:57

the mods go here viewforum.php?f=183

Edit: Actually nvm My apologies. Just the title and the colour words made me think it was a mod.
rbsanford

Re: ATS 1.43 Atlas Project - WIP - Road map of the towns, roads and landmarks featured in the game

#3 Post by rbsanford » 22 Dec 2021 20:10

Very nice work! Looks like everything's present and accounted for.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
SenseFM

Re: Printable Road Atlas of ATS with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.43 - WIP

#4 Post by SenseFM » 22 Dec 2021 22:40

Thanks a lot, @rbsanford! I've checked your maps and diagrams before and they're very interesting! Your screenshot albums are very nice to learn facts about the states' geography, history and culture, too, and a great way to appreciate the attention to detail that devs have been giving to ATS.
supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Printable Road Atlas of ATS with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.43 - WIP

#6 Post by supersobes » 22 Dec 2021 23:30

This is beautiful! I'm sure this can be very helpful. Thanks for sharing!
Standardization

#8 Post by Standardization » 23 Dec 2021 00:28

This is amazing!

Does ATS have any nuclear power plants? Its in the key but I can't think of any out west.
rbsanford

#9 Post by rbsanford » 23 Dec 2021 02:02

@SenseFM, thanks, I'm glad you like my albums!

@Standardization, ATS doesn't have any nuclear plants, and IRL there are only three in the states we currently have. There are lots in the East though, so hopefully that'll be a future industry.

This reminds me of a project I saw a while ago. I can't remember if it was here or on r/trucksim, but someone set to recreating the ATS map in the style of Rand McNally's Motor Carriers Road Atlas, complete with detailed insets of major cities. Last I heard, a few people were collaborating on it, but were still working on the base map.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
The Torgo

#10 Post by The Torgo » 23 Dec 2021 03:03

@SenseFM you good sir are a legend, gracias!

Return to “General discussion about the game”