Printable Road Atlas of ATS with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.49 - WIP

gaillard

Re: Printable Road Atlas of ATS with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.44 - WIP

#52 Post by gaillard » 22 Aug 2022 07:08

...and what's the magic word?
nautofon

Re: Printable Road Atlas of ATS with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.44 - WIP

#54 Post by nautofon » 22 Aug 2022 18:10

"Please" and "thank you" is just basic courtesy. The real magic word is patience.

Don't forget that this map contains a great many details that first have to be researched in the game world. Then all those details need to be mapped. All this takes a bunch of time, plain and simple—especially if you want to keep the quality consistently high. And there is obviously no way to start before the DLC released, which *just* happened like a few days ago. Give it time.
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
SenseFM

#55 Post by SenseFM » 22 Aug 2022 18:16

donfede wrote: 21 Aug 2022 16:48 While the printed maps look all right and are certainly fun, a lot of smaller text is blurred when printed larger. Might there be an SVG or other vector graphics format available?
¡Muchas gracias @donfede! Yep, that's the problem with big bitmap images, and will only get worse the bigger the map gets. That's why I'm also planning a version divided in pages, like a real road atlas, so it's easier to print. Regarding a SVG version, maybe it could also be done. After all, the roads, polygons and points in QGIS are vectors and can be exported to vector editors such as Inkscape. I'm not sure if I could export the text labels the same way, though, and since the background is a bitmap, I suppose its resolution would stay the same. All in all I'm still learning and who knows, maybe I end up changing my methods.
Ryley03d wrote: 21 Aug 2022 18:57 update for montana
Don't worry @Ryley03d, I'm already working on Montana. I haven't been able to explore it much till the previous week, since I was away for holidays during the first half of August. You'll just have to have a bit more patience.

Thank you for your support, @gaillard and @nautofon!
gaillard

#56 Post by gaillard » 22 Aug 2022 18:53

Welcome Sir, everyone working for free at the profit of everyone deserves respect. And gratitude.

Pesetas/Euros are better, but yeah, I'm polite but cheap...
killingjoke28336

#57 Post by killingjoke28336 » 22 Aug 2022 19:34

As a map nerd I really love your map, excellent work!
donfede

#58 Post by donfede » 22 Aug 2022 23:53

As promised earlier, here are links to photos of the printed out maps (including both ETS2 and ATS photos in this thread). I'm still exploring more economical (and obviously better quality) solutions, as these were a good first try but not really viable.

# album
https://imgur.com/a/tT9bfx9

# ats long and closeup 24"x28" (~61cm x ~71cm)
https://i.imgur.com/Ec2qJJV.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/BEUxX3c.jpeg

# ets2 long and closeup 24"x29" (~61cm x ~73cm)
https://i.imgur.com/eZoneJc.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/JwvgyoE.jpeg

Thanks again for the efforts, these maps are great. Share if there is an opportunity to collaborate and help; not sure if a Git repository is realistic for this.

cuida :)

(edit, typo fix)
Last running ETS2 and ATS on Debian GNU/Linux old-stable "stretch" 9 64bit
SenseFM

Re: Printable Road Atlas of ATS with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.45 - WIP

#59 Post by SenseFM » 07 Sep 2022 19:08

The Road Atlas has been updated to version 1.45 of ATS! Here's the changelog:
  • The Montana DLC has now been added to the map!
  • Two new symbols have been added to the map legend: one gray line for fictional roads, and one brown line for dirt roads.
  • Some mistakes and errors have been corrected.
As always, enjoy and feel free to make any comments or suggestions!

---

BTW, I've been testing Inkscape to see if I can make vectorized versions of the map. The import from QGIS works fine, but I get a very large SVG file of almost 60 MB and as soon as I open it with Inkscape, although it lets me edit any layer or element, it runs so slow that becomes too difficult for me to work on it. I suspect the main culprits are the background raster, which is a very large bitmap image, and all the text labels the map contains.

As a temporary solution, it might be best option to upload a version with the map divided into smaller rectangles with a higher resolution, so that it could be printed similar to a physical road map. That will mean extra work, though, since I'll still have to add some labels manually - QGIS leaves out some of them when they are located too close between each other.
nautofon

Re: Printable Road Atlas of ATS with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.45 - WIP

#60 Post by nautofon » 08 Sep 2022 14:55

Very cool. Thanks for the work you do on this map, and for sharing it!
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD

Return to “General discussion about the game”