Priority rules

truckinjeff

Priority rules

#1 Post by truckinjeff » 02 Jan 2022 10:35

In Germany I was driving on a priority road going straight on at crossroads in the left hand lane as I was going to turn left at the next lights, the lights were green and half way across an AI car turning left ran into the side of my truck, I got a collision penalty and had to pay £4000 pounds to repair my truck.

Can anyone clarify who has to give way?
In the UK vehicles turning never have priority over vehicles going straight on.

Can anyone from Germany or any other EU country tell me is this true in real life as I intend to drive there in IRL and I really need to know the rules!

If the AI car was at fault I really think its unfair to get the penalty and the AI should pay for the damage LOL.
Some newbie driver

Re: Priority rules

#2 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Jan 2022 12:03

The detection of who's to blame for a crash in the game is far from perfect. Other times it's possible you could do a mistake and end without a fine on a crash.

Regards
Underscore_101_

#3 Post by Underscore_101_ » 02 Jan 2022 12:54

I wouldn't be too worried about how it's like irl if you plan on going there, the others will know the rules, and if not the signs will tell you what to do :-)

Do you have an image of mentioned crossing, or where was it exactly?,... there should be some indication of who has right of way, you're playing a game so whichever rules apply irl can be overruled by SCS.

Another option that has happened to me once or twice in a different situation, but can apply to your situation, I was coming off a roundabout with a side road shortly after and because the indicator hadn't turned off automatically cars on that side road thought I was taking a turn and started crossing the junction.
In short, is it possible that the AI traffic got confused by your turn signal and thought you were going somewhere else than you intended?
peterburten

#4 Post by peterburten » 16 May 2022 09:04

I believe in most parts of the world, turning vehicle has the priority, but depending on it's size.
supersobes
Global moderator

#5 Post by supersobes » 16 May 2022 15:54

You mention that you were about to turn left at the next intersection. Did you happen to have your left turn signal on? If you did, the car probably detected that and thought you were going to turn at the first intersection rather than the second one.
Pixelclone

#6 Post by Pixelclone » 19 May 2022 22:45

peterburten wrote: 16 May 2022 09:04 I believe in most parts of the world, turning vehicle has the priority, but depending on it's size.
First time I'm hearing this.

truckinjeff wrote: 02 Jan 2022 10:35 In Germany I was driving on a priority road going straight on at crossroads in the left hand lane as I was going to turn left at the next lights, the lights were green and half way across an AI car turning left ran into the side of my truck, I got a collision penalty and had to pay £4000 pounds to repair my truck.

Can anyone from Germany or any other EU country tell me is this true in real life as I intend to drive there in IRL and I really need to know the rules!

If the AI car was at fault I really think its unfair to get the penalty and the AI should pay for the damage LOL.
The AI in this game is notoriously erratic so I wouldn't feel too bad about it. There's a mod on the Steam Workshop called ETS2 Police Tweaks which drastically reduces (almost eliminates) the penalty for collisions with AI vehicles so you might want to give that a go.
truckinjeff

#7 Post by truckinjeff » 20 May 2022 07:52

supersobes wrote: 16 May 2022 15:54 You mention that you were about to turn left at the next intersection. Did you happen to have your left turn signal on? If you did, the car probably detected that and thought you were going to turn at the first intersection rather than the second one.
No, I wouldn't have indicated until just before the intersection I intended to turn at, otherwise I would be guilty of confusing other road users and if there was a collision it would definitely be my fault.
truckinjeff

#8 Post by truckinjeff » 20 May 2022 07:55

peterburten wrote: 16 May 2022 09:04 I believe in most parts of the world, turning vehicle has the priority, but depending on it's size.
That would be crazy!
Here in the UK the latest update to the Highway code, says completely the opposite and rightly so, the hierarchy is the smallest most vulnerable have most priority, Pedestrians - Cyclists - horse riders - motor vehicles, in that order.
truckinjeff

#9 Post by truckinjeff » 20 May 2022 08:01

Pixelclone wrote: 19 May 2022 22:45
First time I'm hearing this.

truckinjeff wrote: 02 Jan 2022 10:35 In Germany I was driving on a priority road going straight on at crossroads in the left hand lane as I was going to turn left at the next lights, the lights were green and half way across an AI car turning left ran into the side of my truck, I got a collision penalty and had to pay £4000 pounds to repair my truck.

The AI in this game is notoriously erratic so I wouldn't feel too bad about it. There's a mod on the Steam Workshop called ETS2 Police Tweaks which drastically reduces (almost eliminates) the penalty for collisions with AI vehicles so you might want to give that a go.
Thank you I've started thinking if AI vehicles run into me that's their fault (They seem to run on invisible train tracks and are unable to stop even from slow speed) I'm up to £13 million so collision penalties and repair bills are unimportant any more, I suppose it would be different if I started a new profile of course.
Pixelclone

#10 Post by Pixelclone » 20 May 2022 12:14

£13 MILLION in penalties? I didn't even know you could measure it. How many hours have you got in the game? That sounds a bit extreme even for a seasoned player.

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”