[REL][WIP] Project USA 1980's - Real 1980's billboards and textures

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
kostraelpayaso

[REL][WIP] Project USA 1980's - Real 1980's billboards and textures

#1 Post by kostraelpayaso » 03 Jan 2022 16:47

Project USA 1980's - Real 1980's billboards and textures

[ external image ]

Project USA 1980's: Description

Project USA 1980's aims to bring a 1980’s atmosphere to the game by adding real billboards, signs and other textures following real life 1980's references.

Current version

Version 1.1

- Billboard textures changed for base game and every state DLC up to Wyoming.
- Jd motel changed to Ramada Inn.
- Truck shop signs changed.
- Greyhound textures for MCI coach.
- Old UPS and Federal Express textures for generic delivery van.
- New textures for security guard and other pedestrians.

Version 1.2

- Billboard textures added for Montana DLC.
- Several store signs now changed.

Version 1.4.

Changes:

- New billboards for TX, OK and KS.
- New store signs for TX

Download

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Modern Traffic

No Modern Traffic is a quick fix that disables modern ai cars in traffic, ideal to use with the classic ai vehicle traffic packs out there.

Version 1.4

- Disables most of modern AI vehicles.
- Police vehicles still ingame until replacement available (for gameplay purposes).

Download

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshots
(right click and open in new tab for larger size)

[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]

[ external image ][ external image ]
Last edited by kostraelpayaso on 11 Jan 2024 10:37, edited 7 times in total.
azumukupoe

Re: [WIP] Project USA 1980's - Real 1980's billboards and advertisement

#2 Post by azumukupoe » 04 Jan 2022 06:57

maybe you should talk with @stoked_dude
he was planning to do something similar
viewtopic.php?t=294750
TransTruckingUSA

#3 Post by TransTruckingUSA » 04 Jan 2022 11:01

Very nice. Looking forward to hear about his mod as it develops.
TransTruckingUSA

WOT // https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4860
“The road is my home, the truck is my castle, and the journey is my life.”
Laqueesha

#4 Post by Laqueesha » 04 Jan 2022 17:41

To remove the default trucks you just have to take the "traffic_storage_truck_long_TRUCKNAME.sii" (for doubles/triples) and "traffic_storage_truck_TRUCKNAME.sii" (for single trailers) SII files and replace everything in them with:

Code: Select all

SiiNunit
{
}
I myself did that to disable them because I was tired of seeing unrealistic plain blank-skinned trucks; replacing them with the trucks in JazzyCat's Painted Trucks pack which have reg. numbers and company logos and stuff.
kostraelpayaso

#5 Post by kostraelpayaso » 04 Jan 2022 18:21

Colorado and Washington now updated. I'm pretty satisfied with the results this time. The improved map design in those states help to make them more integrated in the map, though they seem to fall into reusing the same billboard textures instead of using all the available ones in each state, which often makes them a bit repetitive. Next I will focus on improving New Mexico and Idaho ads, before revisiting the ones I made for Wyoming. Might slow down the updates as I have to focus on rl stuff.

Also, I've noticed there's a billboard texture in Colorado that I haven't yet edited, which corresponds to the company Farmer's Barn. Not sure in which DLC is contained.

[ external image ]
MikePetersenTrucking wrote: 04 Jan 2022 11:01 Very nice. Looking forward to hear about his mod as it develops.
Thanks!
Laqueesha wrote: 04 Jan 2022 17:41 To remove the default trucks you just have to take the "traffic_storage_truck_long_TRUCKNAME.sii" (for doubles/triples) and "traffic_storage_truck_TRUCKNAME.sii" (for single trailers) SII files and replace everything in them with:

I myself did that to disable them because I was tired of seeing unrealistic plain blank-skinned trucks; replacing them with the trucks in JazzyCat's Painted Trucks pack which have reg. numbers and company logos and stuff.
When you mention TRUCKNAME does it mean that there is one of those traffic storage files per each truck model? I can only seem to find the ones called simply traffic_storage_truck_long and such, which only seem to contain intructions inside.
Laqueesha

#6 Post by Laqueesha » 04 Jan 2022 19:31

Yes, each truck has its own SII file so you'll have to do each truck individually. At least that's the way I know how to do it. Maybe somebody else has a better method, I dunno.

Anyway, I actually managed to make a bit of a mini-retro mod myself, replaced the license plates with the old-style ones and removed all non-period correct traffic. Decided to settle on c. 1998–2002 as the setting, since that's the period of time I am most nostalgic for. It's doable, so that's proof of concept right there.
Khayecin

#7 Post by Khayecin » 06 Jan 2022 17:36

I love it! I'm always playing while listening to synthwave and vaporwave, so this will be perfect. :lol:
Jaytheboss

#9 Post by Jaytheboss » 19 Mar 2022 21:07

YES!
I was just thinking about a 1980s mod for ATS, and this comes very close to what I had in mind.
Hopefully this releases soon.
Jaytheboss

#10 Post by Jaytheboss » 19 Mar 2022 23:54

@kostraelpayaso
Could you add a billboard for the department store Mervyn's? I remember seeing a image a long time ago of one, but I sadly cannot find it.
If you're wondering what it looked like, it had the Mervyn's logo and underneath it it said Portland since the billboard I guess was in Oregon.

Return to “Others”