[REL][WIP] Project USA 1980's - Real 1980's billboards and textures

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Jaythegreat

Re: [WIP] Project USA 1980's - Real 1980's billboards and advertisement

#22 Post by Jaythegreat » 31 May 2022 16:22

@kostraelpayaso
I'd like the True Value Hardware one, since I remember the brand vividly.
kostraelpayaso

#23 Post by kostraelpayaso » 03 Jun 2022 21:19

Jaythegreat wrote: 31 May 2022 16:22 @kostraelpayaso
I'd like the True Value Hardware one, since I remember the brand vividly.
Alright!

[ external image ]

I decided to take a small break from the billboards and made a Greyhound texture for the MCI bus. I would love to create a few more paintjobs for the bus, in order to introduce a bit more of variety. Any clue how to make so that multiple liveries spawn for this model?
Jaythegreat

#24 Post by Jaythegreat » 04 Jun 2022 17:33

@kostraelpayaso
Are there any billboards featuring airline companies? (EX: American Airlines, TWA, Air Canada, Delta)
And also, I have a playlist on YouTube of old 80s radio adverts, that I highly suggest listening to while making this mod. It may help boost inspiration.
I also found a photo of Salt Lake City & Cheyenne during the 1980s and they seemed to have a lot of billboards in the city, so maybe in Salt Lake City around and outside of it, add some billboards not a lot, just a little sprinkle for decoration?
And one more thing, will the AI edits you made, be available with the mod when it releases, or is there a way you could potentially send me the files for personal use? I want to start a collection of vintage images in a road trip collection thing. If you could help me out, that would be amazing.
Can't wait for release :thumbsup:
kostraelpayaso

#25 Post by kostraelpayaso » 05 Jun 2022 02:15

Jaythegreat wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:33 @kostraelpayaso
Are there any billboards featuring airline companies? (EX: American Airlines, TWA, Air Canada, Delta)
I think right now I have only one airline ad and it's for Western Airlines. I had considered adding more as they seem common in pictures from the era, but since latest states seem more rural I don't know, I thought maybe they would be more out of place. I'm open to ideas tho.

[ external image ]
Jaythegreat wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:33 And also, I have a playlist on YouTube of old 80s radio adverts, that I highly suggest listening to while making this mod. It may help boost inspiration.
Sure, share it! it could be a good inspiration and an increase immersion ingame.
Jaythegreat wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:33 I also found a photo of Salt Lake City & Cheyenne during the 1980s and they seemed to have a lot of billboards in the city, so maybe in Salt Lake City around and outside of it, add some billboards not a lot, just a little sprinkle for decoration?
For now I only work with textures so I can only replace the current textures that are already ingame. I'd have to check SLC again but I think Utah is the only of the non-original states which doesn't have its own specific billboards so I doubt there is much to do there. I wish there were more available though, seems that with the latest states there is more of an emphasis in that aspect. But if you'd like to post those pics here or PM them to me they may be helpful.
Jaythegreat wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:33 And one more thing, will the AI edits you made, be available with the mod when it releases, or is there a way you could potentially send me the files for personal use? I want to start a collection of vintage images in a road trip collection thing. If you could help me out, that would be amazing.
Can't wait for release :thumbsup:
Sure, my plan is to include them with the rest of the mod. For now I have only made the Greyhound bus texture and some edits to train containers which I am not too satisfied with, so in the initial release I will only include the bus one. I would like to edit the AI trailers too, but I think I will release an early version of the mod first since I don't want it to delay it for too long. I also made a file that removes most of the non-vintage AI vehicles, which is nice to use together with jazzycat and trafficmaniac classic vehicle packs. I'd have to update it but I can release it too if it's helpful. I would like to ask, I've seen in the scs blog pics that they seem to have added a 70s ford truck and a chevy camper van, do you know if they have been added to the game already?
halbtollekreatur

#26 Post by halbtollekreatur » 05 Jun 2022 08:38

Why not take Jazzycats bus mod and edit the modern buses out for private use? There are also some old cars in the modern Jazzycat car mods. If you edit it for your private use it would also fit. Same for the truck mod by CyrusTheVirus. I would also recommend Peterbilt 362 from Steam and the classic GTA V traffic. This two you not even have to edit. There is a old Colombian one that would also fit if you edit for private use.
If you are a little bit more experienced you could also edit some ETS2 mods like the Brazilian or Indonesian ones. There are a lot of old cars inside.

Only thing missing would be suitable police and emergency vehicles.

Edit: If sb would be able to transfer the old GTA IV mod from ETS2 to ATS it would be also very useful here.
kostraelpayaso

#27 Post by kostraelpayaso » 05 Jun 2022 10:16

I used to have a custom version of Jazzycat's modern cars that only left the GMC van and few others. The GMC van had multiple liveries that could be edited, so it was a nice addition to the game as commercial vehicles is what for example, Jazzycat's classic vehicle pack sort of lack, as it only has an Econoline van. For the bus pack, from what I've seen, for older buses it has only what it looks like an improved version of the MCI coach. What I could do is check how does he do to make multiple liveries spawn for a single model, and try to do the same for the vanilla MCI coach, as for this project I rather edit what is already ingame than use other people's work, as long as I don't have any sort of agreement with them to use their work. Also, I guess it's preferable to use the least amount of AI traffic packs, as I guess it takes a toll on performance, so it'd be preferable to use few large AI traffic packs than many of them with small edits. I think for most of the part, Jazzycat's classic car pack does a pretty good job, but the latest updates have relied too much on sport than regular cars in my opinion, while there are still many 'normal' car models available that would be a nice addition to the pack, like K cars, 70s big LTDs, box trucks, etc.

Some interesting bus models I would like to work with would be the GM TDH-5303 and the GM RTS. There is lot of references available to make municipal and city level textures.

I do agree with that the lack of emergency vehicles would be a problem. It thought about editing Jazzycat classic pack and use the Impala and LTD for personal use but, like I said, I'd prefer to do a collab with somebody and publicy release it. It could be fun to do a classic emergency and public service pack in the same style as the Municipal Police Traffic Pack, doing taxis, cop cars, ambulances or public works vehicles specific to the states, cities, etc. GTA offers a vast amount of vehicles to work with. I still have many references and pics in my hard drive from back when I used to do that stuff for GTA. My only setback is my lack of modeling skills. So if anyone is interested in a collab, hit me up :D
halbtollekreatur

#28 Post by halbtollekreatur » 05 Jun 2022 10:25

Sounds good mate. Hope you can find sb able to help out...
Since JazzyCat took a lot of vehicles from the game "Driver: San Francisco" it is maybe possible to take cars from the Driver games taking place in the past like Driv3er. There is a nice city bus.
Jaythegreat

#30 Post by Jaythegreat » 05 Jun 2022 17:05

Quote removed - Don't quote images/code boxes - Rule 2.3

@kostraelpayaso
Here's the link to said playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... PxrfMnDpcY
I haven't played ATS in a while, so I haven't seen yet. Maybe i'll have to check later today.
Also 2 more things I want to mention just in case you haven't heard about it yet, or maybe you have.
There is a mod called Classic Truck and Traffic pack by TrailerManiac. I don't know if you use it yet or not, but the trucks in that pack would be PERFECT for this mod, considering that some were still used back then. Also, there are some vintage trailers packed in as well, so please by all means give it a look if you haven't already.
Another thing, is Grimme's weather mods. He has a mod called Frosty Winter Weather mod, that could mix with this mod to give a 1980s Christmas season feel, if you want to check it out, I highly suggest it, it'll make it look very cool.
Do you have a projected release date yet or are you still working some things out first?

Return to “Others”