[REL][WIP] Project USA 1980's - Real 1980's billboards and textures

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Jaythegreat

Re: [WIP] Project USA 1980's - Real 1980's billboards and advertisement

#31 Post by Jaythegreat » 05 Jun 2022 17:14

kostraelpayaso wrote: 05 Jun 2022 10:16 I used to have a custom version of Jazzycat's modern cars that only left the GMC van and few others. The GMC van had multiple liveries that could be edited, so it was a nice addition to the game as commercial vehicles is what for example, Jazzycat's classic vehicle pack sort of lack, as it only has an Econoline van. For the bus pack, from what I've seen, for older buses it has only what it looks like an improved version of the MCI coach. What I could do is check how does he do to make multiple liveries spawn for a single model, and try to do the same for the vanilla MCI coach, as for this project I rather edit what is already ingame than use other people's work, as long as I don't have any sort of agreement with them to use their work. Also, I guess it's preferable to use the least amount of AI traffic packs, as I guess it takes a toll on performance, so it'd be preferable to use few large AI traffic packs than many of them with small edits. I think for most of the part, Jazzycat's classic car pack does a pretty good job, but the latest updates have relied too much on sport than regular cars in my opinion, while there are still many 'normal' car models available that would be a nice addition to the pack, like K cars, 70s big LTDs, box trucks, etc.

Some interesting bus models I would like to work with would be the GM TDH-5303 and the GM RTS. There is lot of references available to make municipal and city level textures.

I do agree with that the lack of emergency vehicles would be a problem. It thought about editing Jazzycat classic pack and use the Impala and LTD for personal use but, like I said, I'd prefer to do a collab with somebody and publicy release it. It could be fun to do a classic emergency and public service pack in the same style as the Municipal Police Traffic Pack, doing taxis, cop cars, ambulances or public works vehicles specific to the states, cities, etc. GTA offers a vast amount of vehicles to work with. I still have many references and pics in my hard drive from back when I used to do that stuff for GTA. My only setback is my lack of modeling skills. So if anyone is interested in a collab, hit me up :D
I may not be able to collab (sorry bud) but I can hit you up with a bit of a tidbit of infromation.
Was talking to my dad yesterday, and he grew up in 1988 (was 13 then) and he remembers people driving cars from the 60s 70s and 80s around 1988.
So most of Jazzycat's old cars, could potentially work in this pack, just to make it feel more vibrant. I know this is strictly 80s but some 1960s and 1970s cars wouldn't hurt to make it feel more retro.
Also, I made this just for kicks. If you want to use it in your billboard pack, by all means, go ahead :) https://sta.sh/0g3zx6ci3fq (It's a recreation of a real billboard, that I found in a image from 1988. I had to use what I could, because the image was so small & the font reader couldn't specify the font in the billboard)
Jaythegreat

#32 Post by Jaythegreat » 10 Jun 2022 03:52

@kostraelpayaso
Do you mind if I use the billboards in my own standalone map?
Dev1

#33 Post by Dev1 » 13 Jun 2022 17:52

will the billboards work with c2c?
Jaythegreat

#34 Post by Jaythegreat » 14 Jun 2022 04:15

Dev1 wrote: 13 Jun 2022 17:52 will the billboards work with c2c?
Yes, since this only edits billboards.
kostraelpayaso

#35 Post by kostraelpayaso » 17 Jun 2022 18:43

Wyoming completed!

[ external image ]

I've left a couple placeholders that I will end up replacing eventually but after reworking almost every billboard I had initially added I am now pretty satisfied with the results. Next I will focus on fixing a few remaining things and I guess that I will be releasing the first version by the end of the month or earlu july, depending on the amount of time I dedicate it. I've also started experimenting with other textures like motels and store fronts but I will focus on that after the release of the first version.

@Dev1: as far I know it should work with map mods. At least it worked with Reforma.

@Jaythegreat: for now I rather this mod to stay standalone. About that billboard you found, do you still have the picture by chance? It should be helpful in order to see the fonts, etc. You are right about the 60's and 70's cars, I think that they were probably common on the road at least till the first half of the 1990's, change tends to come slow, especially when it comes down to not so cheap stuff. Unless you are a car guy, you probably want to keep your car working as long as possible, same way as your washing machine.
Jaythegreat

#36 Post by Jaythegreat » 17 Jun 2022 21:02

@kostraelpayaso
I don't have the image anymore sadly.
It was on my old laptop, witch had to be wiped, so I unfortunately lost it.
About the map thing, I understand.
Instead I may make a few videos for YouTube of me playing ATS with the mod, and have some vaporwave in the background.
Do like a "Nighttime Road Trip in 1988" or something.
kostraelpayaso

#37 Post by kostraelpayaso » 18 Jun 2022 19:17

Oh. bummer about that lost picture, I am always looking for real life references.

Last time addition, replaced jd motel with Ramada Inn.

[ external image ]

My plan was to include Best Western and Holiday inn, but motel signs are a bit trickier to work with, so those may need further edits to make them work, as it can be seen below with my failed attempt at editing the sheperds inn.

[ external image ]

Also, my first trailer edit! I changed the Wallberts trailer to Safeway, as it was kinda bothering me seeing the vanilla wallbert skin in the parked trailers. Tbh, I am not even sure if Safeway at the time was comparable to Wallmart, but I find the Safeway paintjob more satisfying. Still work in progress.

[ external image ]
Jaythegreat

#38 Post by Jaythegreat » 19 Jun 2022 19:27

@kostraelpayaso
Just a suggestion, but for reskining trailers, I highly suggest doing A&P.
They were a big brand back in the 1980s, and their trailers were very simple.
It was just their logo on a reefer. I've watched multiple of their commercials, and that's how they looked.
Also, for shop signage, Radio Shack is a possibility as well as Blockbuster and maybe even Kmart.
Here's the A&P logo to use on the trailers.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/logop ... 1118123516
kostraelpayaso

#39 Post by kostraelpayaso » 20 Jun 2022 19:23

That's a good one, I dig the logo too, very 1980's looking. Radio shack has also a cool design, definitely added to the list. So right now, based on the references I've got thus far, the choices to replace retail companies would be Safeway, Walmart, A&P, Sears and Thrifty. For Gallon I may go with Chevron. It may be a little more complicated to find contemporary equivalents for darm, livestock or mining companies, so perhaps they could be replaced with skins for transport companies from said era.

[ external image ]

Quick skin of a Thrifty tandem. I think I will focus first on releasing the other stuff before starting with this anyway, maybe as an exception I may do a reskin for the generic modern delivery box truck, as even if you disable it from spawning on traffic it still show up as a map prop. So a quick UPS or Federal Express paintjob should do it.
Jaythegreat

#40 Post by Jaythegreat » 21 Jun 2022 01:48

@kostraelpayaso
Thanks for doing Thrifty. Here in Idaho, we call it Thrifty Pay Less because that was the full company name. It's actually a good idea to stick to brands that were in the Western/Southwest USA to fit the games tone. Another brand suggestion is Woolworth's, since a lot of people knew Woolworth's, and it was a popular brand in the 1980s. Safeway would be good, since I have some old photos from Spokane during the 80s and 90s (in physical form) and there are pictures of Safeway. Also, another brand to consider would be Circuit City, though making them on a trailer could be difficult, but they could be a secondary skin like Radio Shack. A idea potentially, is to make a 1980s trailer skinpack. Thought of doing it myself actually, but because of real life issues, and my eldest brother being hospitalized taking a toll on me, I cancelled the project all together. I planned to feature companies like ShopKo, Safeway, Albertson's, Kmart, Montgomery Ward, and many others, and even planned to do chains from other parts of the US like Ames, Bradlees, Venture, & Gold Circle.
Still, overall this pack is looking excellent, and I am hyped for it's release. :D
(Also for Gallon, you could do Citgo or Amoco)

Return to “Others”