Add a logo to a premade skin

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Buckshot77

Add a logo to a premade skin

#1 Post by Buckshot77 » 10 Jan 2022 22:04

Hi all

So i am trying to add my vtc logo to the doors a truck. I have made skins before for other trucks and had no issues. Im currently trying to add it to Removed - Rule 2.3 . He includes a def pack that has the templates and also 36 premade skins. Im trying to add just a door logo to one of the stripes skins that comes with the pack. I am using paint.net . I have tried several different things and for some reason they all turn out blended like the logo becomes part of the skin. My logo is a png image with no background i have even redone the magic lasso etc to make sure it has a transparent background and it does. i also tried creating a skin from scratch off the template and i still have the same issues . What am i missing here ? Why wont the logo sit ontop of the skin in original color ? Appreciate any advise thank you .
You can see in the image how the logo blends into the door. In paint.net it shows fine.
[ external image ]
Underscore_101_

Re: Add a logo to a premade skin

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 11 Jan 2022 01:16

My guess is that it's using the RGB style of making a paint job.
To make it work you need to make changes to the def file for the paint job so that it doesn't.

If i recall correctly the simplest way is to change the value for:

airbrush: false

to "true", but it's late and it feels if i forgot something, but it's worth a try, if it doesn't work you can just change the value back to what it was.
Buckshot77

#3 Post by Buckshot77 » 11 Jan 2022 23:23

Hmm i think it might be because its a premade stripe skin so the logo attaches itself to the changeable colors. On side not im trying to make multiple skins for the same truck and uploaded them to the steam workshop. I got everything working however when i got to paint the truck i only see the one mod(skin) ? I named the universal. zip different names for the mods and uploaded them seperatly to the workshop. However i only ever see one version of the skin i made in the truck shop? What am i doing wrong there in regards to them all showing up ?
Underscore_101_

#4 Post by Underscore_101_ » 12 Jan 2022 01:43

well , yeah that's how RedGreenBlue paint jobs work, they are made out of max 3 colours plus the base colour, any logo you put on there, no matter what colour will also change colour according to the,... lets call it prime colour you're changing, so for example if your logo has yellow in it will probably change when you use the Red channel, and when you change the Green channel it may change to another colour, i 'm not a colour expert, but i hope you understand what i'm saying.
The author may have pre-set the colours so they may not be Red Green and Blue in the boxes.
But, if you have it the way you want it in Paintdotnet (how I understood what you wrote) and changed the value I mentioned to true it should stay that way in the game as it will ignore the RGB settings.
This of course doesn't work if you want to be able to change the colours of the paint job in game, tbh idk how, if it's possible to have both.

Idk if the paint job uses one def file, or also a settings file, if it uses a settings.sui file it's in there, if it doesn't it's in the main paintjobname.sii file

As for just seeing one paint job, my guess is that the internal names are the same, so whichever mod/paint job has higher priority is the one you will see in the truck shop, the name of the mod zip file isn't that important.

In this example for a different truck, where it says "paint_01" the name there needs to be different for each paint job (for the same truck).

Code: Select all

accessory_paint_job_data : paint_01.peterbilt.579.paint_job
Madkine
Global moderator

#5 Post by Madkine » 12 Jan 2022 06:23

In terms of the paintjobs, make sure they have uique names in the their def files and that they don't each try and modify the same file. In either of these scenarios, only the last one loaded will be present.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Buckshot77

#6 Post by Buckshot77 » 16 Jan 2022 16:33

Thank you for the responses guys i appreciate the help. How can i open the .ssi or .sui files to make changes there to the internal name ? Is there a certain program i need to open them? im in the def files but i dont see anything with unique names i guess i should just make them all different names other than the default in the shared.sui file ?I have changed the names in 2 sui files and i am still not able to get it working right with individual skins.
Madkine
Global moderator

#7 Post by Madkine » 16 Jan 2022 23:40

.sui and .sii files can be edited with any text editor.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Buckshot77

#8 Post by Buckshot77 » 30 Jan 2022 20:48

Ok so i changed the internal names for all of the skins i made. I used the same template for all 5 skins but added customizations to it for my drivers like their names on the door etc. I then changed all the internal names to paint 1 , paint 2 etc. I activate them all in the mod list and they are still overwriting each other. And now what is happening with the ksw 352 truck that this is for. its now putting the skin in the exsisting skin choices that come with the truck itself. He has skins 1 through 36 you can choose from. Since i cant add our logo to any of those because they are rgb skins with the 3 color slots. I went and tried the other way by creating skins for each one of my members . Renamed everything different but yet i still cant get them all to work in the truck modification screen. It will still only grab whatever one has higher priority and it will instead of showing above all the skins that come for the truck it take sup the number 1 slot and uses it. So now that makes me think that shadowwalker doesnt allow the ability to add other skins to this truck or to run your own logo ? I have contacted him but he wasnt much help unfortunalty when it comes to the skinning part. Its also wierd that his truck wont even run in the game if your not using the def file unlike ruda or my jole collins. I really want to just have a custom skin with our company logo for this truck that we can use in convoy mode. Appreciate more advise on this or what im doing wrong. The skins work fine in sp .
Alarthon

#9 Post by Alarthon » 31 Jan 2022 00:35

Are you making new icons too? In the def files reference a new icon, then in the material folder (material/ui/accessory) create a new .dds, .mat. and .tobj for each new icon. The basics of a paint job are creating new def files with new names, material files with icon referenced names from the def files, and vehicle files with referenced names from the def files.
Buckshot77

#10 Post by Buckshot77 » 05 Feb 2022 19:32

I have gone and made adjustments to the files and renamed them but it doesnt seem to like it in the workshop uploaded says there are errors with it . Would i be able to dm you and maybe share a screenshot or something for some guidance on what im missing ? Thanks

Return to “Help requests”