Broken VR performance after udpate 1.40

AweY

Broken VR performance after udpate 1.40

#1 Post by AweY » 14 Jan 2022 21:17

Hi

After I updated to the 1.40 version (and the newer ones) it broke the VR performance for me. It now stutters non stop even with low GPU and CPU loads and no matter how low the graphic settings are. I have the exact same issue as described by PatricideVR on his last year's post:
PatricideVR wrote: 31 Mar 2021 07:08
However, no matter how I tweak the settings (spending more hours tweaking than driving) I cannot get a satisfactory FPS. I came from a somewhat old CPU (3.9GHz OC'ed i5 3450) with a decent GPU (5600XT 6GB). Although in graphs I could see that both the CPU (if the process was pinned to a single core or running multicore and monitoring max thread/CPU, all via HWInfo64) and GPU not being utilized to their maximum potential. Only scaling up the resolution lowered the FPS significantly, but no matter if settings where maxed out or as low as possible, the FPS still was quite low. You can clearly see it when cars are passing by and you're looking to your left: they pass by very stuttering. Might also be a difference in timing between the images for both eyes.

So I thought to eliminate any hardware limitation and treated myself with a new PC: 5800X, 32GB RAM 3600MHz CL16, AMD 6900XT 16GB. And guess what: the performance has not increased at all. The graphs only show an even lower CPU- and GPU-usage. It is quite erratic, going up and down the whole time but never coming close to 100% for either the eurotrucks2.exe thread or the total GPU usage.

As I seem to have tried everything else (fresh Windows install, driver only install, fresh config.cfg, all kinds of changes in config.cfg, lowest scaling in game and SteamVR, config.cfg optimizations, CPU pinning, etc. etc. etc.) what else could I try to increase the framerate of the game? Should I lower the refresh rate maybe of the Oculus? Any other thoughts? Or is the software simple not capable of using the hardware properly?
Does anyone know what is the manifest ID on steam of the 1.39 with openVR support so I can revert my installation back to that version? Is it possible to add the VR files to the install available on steam (temporary 1.39 for incompatible mods)?

Thanks!

Return to “Technical Problems”