It's so detrimental that I'll be missing out on almost every new map DLC after the Baltics back in 2019

Simulationworld2020

It's so detrimental that I'll be missing out on almost every new map DLC after the Baltics back in 2019

#1 Post by Simulationworld2020 » 15 Jan 2022 16:34

Hello to all of you and happy New Year!
I'm really enjoying ETS2 since 2012 but unfortunately I reached a certain point where my PC just can't handle newer DLC's anymore. The number of assets with every new map has been significantly increased, which is quite understandable as technology moves forward. I missed out on Road to Black Sea, Iberia and will also be missing the upcoming Heart of Russia DLC.

I was forced to lock the game to version 1.43 'cause my PC is running out of space on my SSD as well. My situation couldn't be worse since I have to miss out on almost everything. ,, Buying a new PC,, is unfortunately not an option for me at the time being. I did everything I could to upgrade my current PC. I changed my RAM from 4 to 6GB last year. Also replaced my old GPU with a GTX750 2GB. The weakest part of my system is the CPU. An intel dual core processor. When I aksed at my local IT shop all they said to me was that it wouldn't be worth the money, since they would have to replace the whole motherboard as well.

To sum up, the huge size of the updates ( causing me to run out of space on SSD) and my PC simply unable to run any DLC after the Baltics makes me missing out on almost everything. I just hope I won't miss Austria rework which is base game content. :|

SSD: 111 GB ( only 36 GB free space remaing)
CPU:Intel dual core at 2.93Ghz
GPU :Nvidia Geforce GTX750 2GB
RAM: 6 GB
plykkegaard

Re: It's so detrimental that I'll be missing out on almost every new map DLC after the Baltics back in 2019

#2 Post by plykkegaard » 15 Jan 2022 16:57

Add an extra 250Gb SSD if possible

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Underscore_101_

Re: It's so detrimental that I'll be missing out on almost every new map DLC after the Baltics back in 2019

#3 Post by Underscore_101_ » 15 Jan 2022 17:09

From what i'm reading, and i'm no expert at all, just more disk space isn't going to help him out.
idk, but i have an old pc (just setup to watch F1tvPro on my tv) with similar and in some parts better specs and i wouldn't want to play ETS2 on it :-)
plykkegaard

#4 Post by plykkegaard » 15 Jan 2022 17:25

Lack of disk space is mentioned as an issue
Won't help on performance though

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
MrAbner

#5 Post by MrAbner » 15 Jan 2022 22:04

I find myself in a similar position these days. Also have "just" 6GB of RAM. My GPU might be a little better, but still only 2GB video RAM. Now, I drive more ATS these days than ETS2, but pretty much the same thing. Newer DLC maps are most assuredly beautiful, but at a cost. More data. Onset of stuttering.

My thought is to increase my RAM, as I believe the stuttering (in my case — not related to owned trailers) is Windows using the swap file at the same time that ATS/ETS2 is also trying to load in new data. One thing I tried was to move the Windows swap file to a different drive than the drive with the programs, and it does seem to help a little, but still a bottleneck.
Simulationworld2020

#6 Post by Simulationworld2020 » 16 Jan 2022 10:40

Thanks for the answers so far. With other games like Bus Simulator 2012, City Bus Simulator 2 Munich, for instance, I never had an issue with them taking up so much space. My only option to keep playing Ets2 on this SSD is by disabling automatic updates aka keeping the game running in a beta branch on Steam. This is the least I can do on my system to prevent it from running out of space. Given the fact that ETS2 and ATS will be projects that SCS will keep supporting for at least 5 to 10 years how do you guys cope with increazing game files size? Do you transfer most of your PC's data on external drives or USB's? I already transferred a lot of data on USB's just to free up some more space. I'm trying the best I can in my current situation to keep playing ETS2 'cause I love it and want to support SCS for their awesome work!
I wouldn't mind buying a bigger SSD but given the fact that my PC is already outdated in so many other aspects it simply isn't worth it. That's what they said to me already in the IT shop. Rather buy a new PC than having to struggle anymore with restrictions. I'm already laying some money aside to be able to buy a way more powerful PC next year. My number one priorities are a powerful intel i5 or i7 processor, a Geforce GTX 1080 ( given RTX prices are very high ) and at least 16 GB RAM. And of course a 2TB SSD. Hopefully I''ll be able to fulfill my wish setup 'cause I really love ETS2 and honestly no other game gives me so much joy as this.
Giving up on this game is a no brainer for me. I'll just have to cope with these restrictions 'till I can afford a better PC. After that I'll be able to enjoy all the new content. Just have to be patient.
On a last note : Is ETS2 more CPU or GPU heavy? Do I necessarily need to invest in a high end RTX GPU or keep a GTX 1080 and rather invest in a good processor and memory?
About any advice I'd be grateful.
xXCARL1992Xx

#7 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 16 Jan 2022 10:45

whoever told you that an upgrade of you storage is useless is useless him/herself, it doesnt matter if you but it now or later, if you buy it now you can play the game on the newest versions because you have more storage and then just put the SSD into the new PC, if you have the money buy a 500GB SSD or if the budget allowes it even a 1TB one and chuck it in as a secondary drive where you put your Steam Games on plus eventual save data, if you buy our new PC you just build it out of the old and into the new and you have all you steam games + savegames transferred without re-downloading everything

i myself have 4 drives installed, 500GB nVME for the OS, 250GB SATA SSD for Steam Games (was the first one i bought) a 4TB HDD for data storage and another 1TB SATA SSD for Steam Games and other frequently used stuff like modding
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Simulationworld2020

#8 Post by Simulationworld2020 » 16 Jan 2022 11:18

That's a really good advice. I only wish it was so easy for me. To elaborate: Say I have a 500 GB SSD installed into my current PC, this would give me huge space to transfer my whole Steam folder and documents to keep my savegame. However SCS support told me back in the day that with every big technological update to the base game as well as with each new map DLC the system requirements rise, so a GTX750 and my completely outdated intel dual core processor would only bring me so far. Adding further to the cost of an extra SSD, I'd also have my whole motherboard replaced in order to install a powerful i5 processor for instance. I upgraded my RAM to 6 GB but the IT shop told me that upgrading it any further wouldn't be possible due to old architecture of my system. You see now that it's way more complicating for me rather than plucking in an SSD and keep on playing care free. My PC is old and outdated and even if I had more space on my SSD this wouldn't help me much if I'd reach a point where my CPU and GPU wouldn't be able to run the game anymore. Noteworthy to mention that they told me at my IT shop that the GTX750 would never reach it's full potential 'cause the dual core processor is causing a bottelneck. That's why I can only play at low settings public beta version 1.43
xXCARL1992Xx

#9 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 16 Jan 2022 11:29

the minimum requirement is a GTS450, your GPU is above it by a good margin, people with even worse hardware are still playing it (iGPUs from Intel) so there shouldnt be a problem, maybe dial back the graphics settings a bit to make it smooth, the minimum CPU is also a dual core, the game uses one core constantly anyway, so not much to worry for now, your RAM is what is recommended of 6GB, a bit more would be better but if you dont use extensive mods and have nothing running in the background (Windows Media Player/VLC, browsers etc.) it will work

so you can upgrade your SSD now and when you have the money you can upgrade your whole PC, the storage and maybe the GPU, to a degree, are the only pieces in your PC that are not dependent on other components to be up to date (thats why i said GPU to a degree), CPU needs a new Motherboard, RAM needs a new Motherboard and CPU if you go between generations and those also may require a new PSU that is powerful enough to drive everything (this might be more the case for GPUs then the rest but 600W with a GTX1080 for example should be enough)

so there is nothing that is against a storage upgrade because you can take it with you, the game is "flexible" enough to run on your hardware for the next year for sure, the last change in system requirements were when Scandinavia released, the recommended specs were degraded to minimum the next possible rise of system requierements is when SCS switches to DX12, then your GPU would need an upgrade as your OS, because for DX12 you need at least Windows 10 and a GTX 900 series card but untill SCS comes to this point you should have your new PC or you can stay on an older version until you have it
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Simulationworld2020

#10 Post by Simulationworld2020 » 16 Jan 2022 11:41

Thank you very much for the advice. On a last note I'd like to ask why can I run the base game fluently on low settings but in DLC's after the Baltics, like Road to Black Sea I've experienced severe frame drops and freezing issues? How can this happen if the system requirements are the same for the DLC's? Of course in cities and heavy areas it's expected but even on highways made me refund Road to Black Sea. It was unplayable even if I checked the system requirements on Steam and I should've been able to run it? I didn't dare touch Iberia in fear of not getting a refund if it was unplayable on my system

Return to “Technical Problems”