Mod enabled or disabled - any difference in performance?

bumbumek

Mod enabled or disabled - any difference in performance?

#1 Post by bumbumek » 17 Jan 2022 00:11

Hi guys,

I have 70 mods in my mod manager, many of them are pretty small (just a tweak or modification for defs). Not all of them are enabled - I activate them when I need a specific mod. My question is about mods, that are NOT enabled at the moment, but placed in mod manager - do those mods have an impact on performance (perhaps memory is taken even if they are not activated)?
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Mod enabled or disabled - any difference in performance?

#2 Post by Madkine » 17 Jan 2022 00:51

They may slow down startup as the game will still read and process them. They shouldn't affect gameplay though (but can affect Convoy if the mod is broken).
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
bumbumek

#3 Post by bumbumek » 17 Jan 2022 10:08

Thank you for clarifying that dear Madkine, you are irreplaceable! 👍
Some newbie driver

#4 Post by Some newbie driver » 17 Jan 2022 16:49

If you take a fast look at the game log, you will see how SCS briefly checks the content of every mod you have in the game just at startup (mod mounted and unmounted messages are added to the log). That's needed so the game could show us what's available. This process could be slower as more mods you have or bigger they are (if they are in a zip format, as it should be unzipped first). As that happens only when the game starts, as Madkine said, there's no penalty for the game performance, just slower game startup. Once we select the profile and start to play, the game log shows how it loads only the mods we had active in that moment for that profile.

The first version of mod support for convoy mode checked again all the mods in the folder when searching for available MP sessions. That caused huge delays for some people that stock lots of mods in the hard drive. That changed in some update later, when SCS started to check only the mods you have active in the current profile when searching for MP sessions.

So, unless you have a very old computer with a very slow storage; the amount of mods stored in your drive should have no relevant impact in your game experience. At much some extra seconds when starting the game.

Regards
bumbumek

#5 Post by bumbumek » 17 Jan 2022 17:28

Thank you sir! :-)

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”