Bumpy Roads

Would roads with bumps, potholes, and oher imperfections improve your gameplay experience?

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 166

Optional Features

Bumpy Roads

#1 Post by Optional Features » 21 Jan 2022 05:20

I was using convoy mode over the weekend with a friend of mine, and he made an interesting point, something like "this road feels smoother than it looks." The road we were driving on (a default part of the Colorado DLC) had a number of cracks in it, sealed with tar. Irl, each of these cracks would have resulted in some feedback from the steering wheel. American road crews are almost notorious for their inability to replace a hole or crevasse with anything other than a bump. But this is ATS, and in ATS, all paved roads are smooth as butter.

Expansion joints? Level with the roads and bridges they connect.
Manholes? Flush with the road.
Visible cracks and tar seals? Smoother than the asphalt that surrounds them.

So the question is why? It can't be that difficult to add a small collision to these objects to make the driving experience a bit more realistic. Team Reforma has done it with their expansion joints. Why can't the SCS team?

Much of the current map is on newer, more well-maintained infrastructure, but some day in the future, when we're driving on butter-smooth roads in St.Louis or Detroit or Chicago, this game's levels of realism will reach unprecedented lows. Just my two cents.
Last edited by Optional Features on 29 Jun 2022 20:39, edited 2 times in total.
Grizzly

Re: Non-Smooth Roads

#2 Post by Grizzly » 21 Jan 2022 06:55

Totally agree.
trainguy_gaming

Re: Bumpy Roads

#3 Post by trainguy_gaming » 26 Feb 2022 21:15

I agree.
flight50

#4 Post by flight50 » 28 Feb 2022 03:23

I mentioned feedback for expansion joints a few times.

May 15 2020
July 16, 2020
April 17, 2021
July 9, 2021
Nov 13, 20201

I agree with the tar seals. I've been eyeballing that for years and thought someday it could add feedback. I never said anything though. If off roads can have feedback, surely cracks in the road too can have a bit of feedback indeed. There are several nicely textured roads that provide the appearance of an imperfect road, but the feedback lacks. Iirc, manholes use to offer feedback when random events was introduced. I could be thinking Reforma too though. If railroads can offer slight bumps (and SCS misses some of those), I think expansion joints should easily have feedback. I loved this small detail with Reforma but I don't use their maps anymore since they merged with 1.40. But expansion joints is something core that SCS should provide with feedback. Honestly, I don't think expansion joints are worth putting in the game if they don't provide feedback and new sound via Fmod.

Paved roads should offer feedback just like off roads. Its a minor detail but a very realistic one.
Optional Features

#5 Post by Optional Features » 28 Feb 2022 18:33

flight50 wrote: 28 Feb 2022 03:23 I mentioned feedback for expansion joints a few times.

May 15 2020
July 16, 2020
April 17, 2021
July 9, 2021
Nov 13, 20201

I agree with the tar seals. I've been eyeballing that for years and thought someday it could add feedback. I never said anything though. If off roads can have feedback, surely cracks in the road too can have a bit of feedback indeed. There are several nicely textured roads that provide the appearance of an imperfect road, but the feedback lacks. Iirc, manholes use to offer feedback when random events was introduced. I could be thinking Reforma too though. If railroads can offer slight bumps (and SCS misses some of those), I think expansion joints should easily have feedback. I loved this small detail with Reforma but I don't use their maps anymore since they merged with 1.40. But expansion joints is something core that SCS should provide with feedback. Honestly, I don't think expansion joints are worth putting in the game if they don't provide feedback and new sound via Fmod.

Paved roads should offer feedback just like off roads. Its a minor detail but a very realistic one.
Agreed: some vibration and random bumps would make driving a lot less mind numbing.
gt379

#6 Post by gt379 » 05 Mar 2022 17:25

Adding to the topic:

Some highways are made of concrete: so if one road has concrete the rolling sound would be different than the asphalt rolling sound.
Viper28

#7 Post by Viper28 » 06 Mar 2022 02:49

I mentioned this in a post either here or on the Steam forums at least 1-2 years ago. Please! Get rid of this smoother than silk road effect. heck, you add interesting blemish graphics to roads but when you drive over them nothing, smooth as butter. it's okay and adds incredible realism to the game to add some contour to these, and bridge expansion joints ect.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
Optional Features

#8 Post by Optional Features » 06 Mar 2022 06:02

Viper28 wrote: 06 Mar 2022 02:49 I mentioned this in a post either here or on the Steam forums at least 1-2 years ago. Please! Get rid of this smoother than silk road effect. heck, you add interesting blemish graphics to roads but when you drive over them nothing, smooth as butter. it's okay and adds incredible realism to the game to add some contour to these, and bridge expansion joints ect.
Yeah, it's bizarre to drive on a road that looks bumpy, but has no feedback. It just doesn't feel right. If I see a tar seal, I should feel it in my steering wheel. Etc.
GabrielT wrote: 05 Mar 2022 17:25 Adding to the topic:

Some highways are made of concrete: so if one road has concrete the rolling sound would be different than the asphalt rolling sound.
Agreed, and bridges sound different than tunnels which sound different than wide open spaces.
HICHAM

#9 Post by HICHAM » 08 Mar 2022 04:52

Those little details that makes the game more unique and enjoyable. New content shouldn't be strictly Map dlcs ..

I've read your suggestions before.. you seem one of the few people who understands how this game should feel like.. .
English isn't my native language

Amateur Skinner.. ( feel free to criticize and give feedback)
Optional Features

#10 Post by Optional Features » 09 Mar 2022 23:37

HICHAM wrote: 08 Mar 2022 04:52 Those little details that makes the game more unique and enjoyable. New content shouldn't be strictly Map dlcs ..

I've read your suggestions before.. you seem one of the few people who understands how this game should feel like.. .
Thank you! I have a passion for this industry, and a hope to see that passion in digital form someday. I don't believe that I should have to learn to code or start a game developer to enjoy something realistically close to the experience I've briefly tasted as a passenger on a small number of occasions and an observer, even slight participant, in dozens more. I've unloaded and loaded trucks with heavy equipment. I've helped take off cargo securement devices, and I've watched professionals do the same countless times. I know what the game should be like, and it isn't there yet.

They have the map. It's all the other things that are lacking, and physics/road surfaces is perhaps the most basic thing of all.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”