Bumpy Roads

Would roads with bumps, potholes, and oher imperfections improve your gameplay experience?

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 166

Optional Features

Re: Bumpy Roads

#111 Post by Optional Features » 15 Oct 2022 05:13

Eggtooth wrote: 15 Oct 2022 05:03 If the engine is material-driven, then yes, a bridge definetly has a material. I know for a fact that if you drive over grass, it has different sound, so it knows when you are on grass or not.

Spawning random collisions is also very taxing, because you gotta create entire collider and calculate collision really quickly.
Yeah, gravel has its own sound as well. Very interesting stuff!

Let's hope something like this gets implemented: it would make driving far more engaging.
Eggtooth

#112 Post by Eggtooth » 15 Oct 2022 05:19

seriousmods wrote: 15 Oct 2022 05:13
Eggtooth wrote: 15 Oct 2022 05:03 If the engine is material-driven, then yes, a bridge definetly has a material. I know for a fact that if you drive over grass, it has different sound, so it knows when you are on grass or not.

Spawning random collisions is also very taxing, because you gotta create entire collider and calculate collision really quickly.
Yeah, gravel has its own sound as well. Very interesting stuff!

Let's hope something like this gets implemented: it would make driving far more engaging.
I don't have my hopes up regarding this. It still requires some resources behind it. However despite this, I hope that SCS will take this idea and give it a shot. Of course, this should be used to simulate mostly small bumps (in Wreckfest they simulate medium/high frquency ones), in ATS/ETS2 this would be used to simulate all frequencies, low/medium/high. Low for normal roads and medium/high for everything else like grass, etc.
Optional Features

#113 Post by Optional Features » 15 Oct 2022 05:21

Eggtooth wrote: 15 Oct 2022 05:19 I don't have my hopes up regarding this. It still requires some resources behind it. However despite this, I hope that SCS will take this idea and give it a shot. Of course, this should be used to simulate mostly small bumps (in Wreckfest they simulate medium/high frquency ones), in ATS/ETS2 this would be used to simulate all frequencies, low/medium/high. Low for normal roads and medium/high for everything else like grass, etc.
Well, they said more features are coming with the Midwest, and this would be huge.

But yes, it is a long shot for sure.
Eggtooth

#114 Post by Eggtooth » 15 Oct 2022 05:38

seriousmods wrote: 15 Oct 2022 05:21
Eggtooth wrote: 15 Oct 2022 05:19 I don't have my hopes up regarding this. It still requires some resources behind it. However despite this, I hope that SCS will take this idea and give it a shot. Of course, this should be used to simulate mostly small bumps (in Wreckfest they simulate medium/high frquency ones), in ATS/ETS2 this would be used to simulate all frequencies, low/medium/high. Low for normal roads and medium/high for everything else like grass, etc.
Well, they said more features are coming with the Midwest, and this would be huge.

But yes, it is a long shot for sure.
I also came up with a solution to a common problem: what if truck drives on two surfaces at once, for example left side on the road and right side on the grass or vice versa? To solve this, each wheel would require to detect surface material it's on and have it's own bump strenght and frequency. This is going a bit granular, but still, to not halfass this, it should work and still shouldn't be very costly on hardware. Each wheel would detect surface only once when driving over it, and unless it would drive over other surface, say gravel, it wouldn't change the frequency or strenght of bumps and default to frequency it is on now.

This would mean that wheel doesn't need to check every frame if it's on different surface, just detect it once when driven over to reduce strain on hardware.
Optional Features

#115 Post by Optional Features » 15 Oct 2022 07:03

Eggtooth wrote: 15 Oct 2022 05:38 I also came up with a solution to a common problem: what if truck drives on two surfaces at once, for example left side on the road and right side on the grass or vice versa? To solve this, each wheel would require to detect surface material it's on and have it's own bump strenght and frequency. This is going a bit granular, but still, to not halfass this, it should work and still shouldn't be very costly on hardware. Each wheel would detect surface only once when driving over it, and unless it would drive over other surface, say gravel, it wouldn't change the frequency or strenght of bumps and default to frequency it is on now.

This would mean that wheel doesn't need to check every frame if it's on different surface, just detect it once when driven over to reduce strain on hardware.
That could make for some fun feedback in the steering wheel, especially in tight maneuvering situations.
Unster

#116 Post by Unster » 15 Oct 2022 07:46

The problem with that method is that you could notice floating wheels getting bounced up by nothing. It's not a pretty effect unless it's done in a minimal way that's not obvious, but then it may not even be noticeable. Some random surface variation would probably be best if the mesh is dense enough. You wouldn't be adding any collision points or polygons. The roads just wouldn't be so flat.
Eggtooth

#117 Post by Eggtooth » 15 Oct 2022 08:19

Unster wrote: 15 Oct 2022 07:46 The problem with that method is that you could notice floating wheels getting bounced up by nothing. It's not a pretty effect unless it's done in a minimal way that's not obvious, but then it may not even be noticeable. Some random surface variation would probably be best if the mesh is dense enough. You wouldn't be adding any collision points or polygons. The roads just wouldn't be so flat.
Look at the gifs I provided. That is literally what I am talking about. Wreckfest is a game that utilises this method and it looks super realistic while costing nothing. Hell, this effect is applied to all 24 cars on the field, all simulated physically, while in ATS/ETS2, the only physically simulated vehicle is player's truck. Ai has no physics here, they just follow a path. They become physical on collision with player, but then become static once more. In essence, Ai in ATS/ETS2 is on rails, being a physical entity only on collision with player, and by physical entity, I mean a movable object.

In those gifs all you see is a plane, a literal flat plane with just a texture. No actual variation. Your mind is filling the blanks, because the texture itself provides the variation couple with how fast the effect is. In ATS/ETS2 this is already covered by textures on the road. Plus there are no 'floating' wheels to be seen in that picture. The effect is so fast, you don't notice what actually bumped the wheel and your brain is filling the blanks thanks to texture itself.

It's not about actual flatness of the road. It's about how it /FEELS/. You don't need actual mesh/collision variation if you program something like this to mimic it. This is what we are trying to do - mimic it, without actually making the surface bumpy. It's how all games do this that are serious about simulation.

Yes, the effect needs to be subtle, but not too subtle, especially on gravel/grass.
Vk56dehan

#118 Post by Vk56dehan » 15 Oct 2022 12:22

@Eggtooth There are very minor to more extreme texture variations in the roads. Germany vs east balkins or CA vs Montana or instance. I see those imperfections but dont feel any feedback. The actual bump isnt there but a very slight force feedback to mimic there is something there would be just fine imo. Some newer dlc interact more with manhole covers and stuff which is a nice effect, needs to be more fleshed out. I 100% agree with you.
Unster

#119 Post by Unster » 15 Oct 2022 18:27

@Eggtooth I see. Yes that can work. But having physical deformation in some places adds a nice effect too and some variation. It's probably best to use both methods. Even ETS2 has that in some places, especially freeway ramps where you can see the uneven surface and it shows nicely in the driver's view, especially if you have a driver camera physics mod that changes how the driver camera reacts to the bumps.
paytonsnewheart

#120 Post by paytonsnewheart » 15 Oct 2022 20:06

I love the new ambient noise, especially the wind. I do wish they would allow the truck to bounce on bumpy roads or potholes to make it more realistic. It would also be nice if they could add noise when going over a bridge that is made out of concrete and rumble strips to help a distracted or drowsy driver.
Last edited by paytonsnewheart on 28 Oct 2022 19:53, edited 2 times in total.
Heart Transplant Recipient
Make-A-Wish Kid
World Of Trucks Profile
Steam Profile
----------------------
Ohio Discussion Thread

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”