Dynamic Companies: Virtual Truckers Should Make a Visible Impact on the Game World

Optional Features

Re: Dynamic Companies: Virtual Truckers Should Make a Visible Impact on the Game World

#21 Post by Optional Features » 26 Jan 2022 17:38

bobgrey1997 wrote: 26 Jan 2022 16:53 Speaking of frame rate compared to other games, this reminds me of the fact that I get far better frame rate in a very detailed space game called Star Citizen on max settings (which I run at 4k) than I do in ATS with medium settings at 1080.
For an idea of how dumb that is, take a look at some gameplay videos of Star Citizen (if you haven't already, or don't play it).
I don't know much about it, but I assume it's gameplay is far more complex and its graphics are far superior.
bobgrey1997

Re: Dynamic Companies: Virtual Truckers Should Make a Visible Impact on the Game World

#22 Post by bobgrey1997 » 26 Jan 2022 19:38

The gameplay is rather simple, but the graphics are just mind-blowing!
Here is a screenshot showing a space station and planet, both of which fully rendered and you can seamlessly go between the two and land anywhere on the planet with no loading screens:
[ external image ]

The game uses a modified version of Cryengine, which is notorious for being an unoptimized mess, and so is the game, yet it still runs far better than the simplistic early 2000s-style truck simulators.
Optional Features

#23 Post by Optional Features » 26 Jan 2022 19:49

bobgrey1997 wrote: 26 Jan 2022 19:38 The gameplay is rather simple, but the graphics are just mind-blowing!
Here is a screenshot showing a space station and planet, both of which fully rendered and you can seamlessly go between the two and land anywhere on the planet with no loading screens:
[ external image ]

The game uses a modified version of Cryengine, which is notorious for being an unoptimized mess, and so is the game, yet it still runs far better than the simplistic early 2000s-style truck simulators.
Looks amazing!
bobgrey1997

#24 Post by bobgrey1997 » 26 Jan 2022 19:53

Looks better when you are actively playing it! There are cities that have different styles and different views (one is an industrial sector with an almost constant haze of pollution, so that looks interesting when the sun isn't visible in the middle of the day), asteroid fields that look like something straight from The Expanse, and views where you can see the sun behind a planet and its various moons. It's almost like playing a sci-fi movie.

I have no clue how they made it run as good as they have (which isn't well, but as I said it is still better than ATS), but I hope SCS can learn a thing or two.
Optional Features

#25 Post by Optional Features » 26 Jan 2022 20:40

That sounds pretty awesome! I'm sure I've heard of it, but I haven't tried it. I'd love a game with a fully functional earth and other planets.
bobgrey1997

#26 Post by bobgrey1997 » 26 Jan 2022 23:48

Earth isn't in it yet. It takes place in a fictional solar system with 4 planets owned by separate corporations, each with various moons and stations, along with an asteroid belt, and all planets, moons, asteroids, and stations can be visited.
They are adding new content and features every quarter. I'd suggest doing some research into it before deciding to play, as it is a bit strange in how you actually buy into it. It has no subscription like many MMOs, but rather you buy it via game packages.
Anyway, I think we are starting to get a bit off-topic, though Star Citizen does have a feature coming similar to what your idea is.
Their goal is to allow a player to, for example, haul some refined material from a mining area to a planet, and that new supply change the stock and price of goods that use that material, or even be able to place an item on a table and it still be there when they log in the next day.
This kind of persistence would add more life to ATS and ETS2. There has been mention a few years ago of an idea to use World of Trucks to create a more seamless online experience, so something like that could be used here. If a player opts in to the online features, their economy could be effected by other players doing jobs. If no players are hauling fuel, diesel prices go up.
Optional Features

#27 Post by Optional Features » 27 Jan 2022 00:18

bobgrey1997 wrote: 26 Jan 2022 23:48 Their goal is to allow a player to, for example, haul some refined material from a mining area to a planet, and that new supply change the stock and price of goods that use that material, or even be able to place an item on a table and it still be there when they log in the next day.
This kind of persistence would add more life to ATS and ETS2. There has been mention a few years ago of an idea to use World of Trucks to create a more seamless online experience, so something like that could be used here. If a player opts in to the online features, their economy could be effected by other players doing jobs. If no players are hauling fuel, diesel prices go up.
That would be pretty awesome. Or do something where if you're hauling material from a quarry, eventually they run out of material. There are so many ways this could go honestly, and if done well, it would be cool just to watch stuff happen. If there were machine animations for stockpiling gravel or organizing container cranes or AI trucks driving around in these sites loading and unloading, it would be more than a dead world where we just haul stuff around and then that's it.
bobgrey1997

#28 Post by bobgrey1997 » 27 Jan 2022 02:54

Ah...trucks driving around in truck stops! I could sit and watch that forever!
I like to watch traffic.
Optional Features

#29 Post by Optional Features » 27 Jan 2022 03:29

bobgrey1997 wrote: 27 Jan 2022 02:54 Ah...trucks driving around in truck stops! I could sit and watch that forever!
I like to watch traffic.
Yes!

I'd actually want to sit in the truckstops and just observe. That and a dynamic sky.
bobgrey1997

#30 Post by bobgrey1997 » 27 Jan 2022 06:01

I actually took a video of a truck stop back in May of last year when I first got into trucking. The purpose was to record some oddness going on with the totem sign, but I later found myself rewatching it just watch the truck circle around to the pumps.
https://i.imgur.com/aeBdcv4.mp4

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”