[WIP] [Rel] Paris 1:1 Map [1.49]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
Turd Ferguson

Re: [WIP] Paris 1:1 Map

#91 Post by Turd Ferguson » 23 Dec 2022 19:40

Loving the map so far @fisherm. Thanks again for letting me try it.
Runs beautifully in VR.
Oh hell, let's go nuts. Swords for forty eight thousand

https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/401
Quaristice

#92 Post by Quaristice » 24 Dec 2022 09:37

@fisherm Looking at your gameplay video I see that you've used a skyscraper from Dortmund as a stand-in for the Hyatt skyscraper at Porte Maillot when that actual building was modeled by SCS already (panorama/paris/concorde.pmd). Not sure if you missed it or if there were issues using that model instead, just making sure that doesn't end up being overlooked.

About the 1500m distance limit for drawing models, you can get around that by implementing a far model activation area encompassing most of the map and assigning models to it. So that tall/prominent buildings like the Eiffel Tower, Montparnasse, Sacré-Cœur, etc, are never culled out of view.

Getting more nitpicky here, it would be great if traffic spawn settings were tweaked to make things more realistic. Large semi trucks spawning inside Paris city limits should be very rare, while common in the Périphérique and the few Autoroutes included in the map. Implementing that would require edits to definition files and additions of traffic areas in the map, not sure if you're familiar with that. Getting even more nitpicky, you could edit license plate definition files to make AI vehicles spawn more often carrying local Ile-de-France stickers instead of having them all be from all over France.
fisherm

#93 Post by fisherm » 25 Dec 2022 06:42

Thanks @Quaristice, the Concorde building is now in its correct place. I didn't know that was where it went, so I'd used the Dortmund one.

Far model area - I didn't know that either - I'll implement that at the very end though when I add in the no weather area to prevent rain in the tunnels, so it doesn't obstruct the modelling.

Traffic spawns - I'll leave that one for other modders to do if they wish. Apart from the max number of objects issue in Montmartre, the biggest break with realism for me is the GPS - the algorithm directs you down the tiny roads to avoid spending time at traffic lights. I don't know if it's possible to mod that, or if it's just the game code.
tester20_00

#94 Post by tester20_00 » 26 Dec 2022 14:58

I'm looking forward to trying the map and I ask, will you put the link here or send it by mail to each interested party?

Happy Holidays to all.
Le Daron

#95 Post by Le Daron » 28 Dec 2022 18:35

Hi,
Really great job. I posted a comment on yt too ;)
Can i ask you any questions (in french and by mp) about mapping ?
fisherm

#96 Post by fisherm » 06 Jan 2023 11:50

I've been excited to share some of the images of La Défense with you all, and today is the day that the spur out to La Défense is finally complete.
The view as drivers approach across the Pont de Neuilly is one of the iconic views of Paris's suburbs, and La Défense is one of Europe's largest business parks, so it had to be included in Paris 1:1, even if it meant lots of work.

So here's the view from Google Maps:
[ external image ]

... and here it is in ETS2: Unusually here, the metro line 1 runs between the two directions of the highway, across the Pont de Neuilly.
[ external image ]
Not bad, I hope.

Crossing the Pont de Neuilly involves a panoramic view up and down the Seine to test your graphics cards, which also took a lot of time. Here is downstream in Google:
[ external image ]

And in ETS2: It's a shame there's not many river boat models in ETS, and it would spoil the realism if I added a tall boat that would never fit under the bridges, so the Seine looks a little empty. Oh well...
[ external image ]

La Défense has its own unique advertising and signage, which needed to be included to make your visit in the model feel as real as possible.
[ external image ]

Many of the real delivery locations in La Défense are underground beneath the skyscrapers, so I have reflected that in the model. The area around the square Grand Arc is pedestrianised, and not usually accessible to vehicles, however, just like the reality, I have hidden a couple of maintenance access points if you want to leave the trailer and explore.
[ external image ]

Inside the Périphérique, the central Paris landmarks are mostly included already, so there's less that makes a good screenshot to tell you as I work outwards towards the south and east parts of the ring road. Here's the map. It's large file, so it's not legible on the forum and you will need to download it to read it... (The red stars are the street art locations.) You'll know by now I'm an art lover, so I have added another gallery in drive through mode. The Orangerie was one of the first buildings in the world constructed to serve as a gallery, so it's significant in the history of art and an important visitor destination.
[ external image ]

The north spur of the map looks like this:
[ external image ]

And finally we leave La Courneuve and cross into Le Bourget. Le Bourget used to be a major Paris airport before CDG and Orly were built, and it's still a big freight hub. So a significant decision I've made is that once Le Bourget is complete, I'm going to stop development the north spur until after the central area is finished, otherwise it will take too long to get to the full release. There's also a natural pause point with the junction onto the A1 at the far end of Le Bourget, whereas once we continue out into Aulnay, it becomes more difficult to find appropriate boundary points.
[ external image ]

With La Défense done, the public WIP Alpha release on one of the sharemod sites is only a few weeks away. Please remember this is still the alpha with incomplete edges, and not a finished version. I'm completing a little quality control in the centre around the oldest parts of the map, and then getting a version ready to share as you've all waited long enough.
Those who PMd me to private test the working draft have given helpful feedback, good and bad - for example all those city lights cause a big frame rate drop at night...
@Georges93 has done some great work testing a connector between my map and their Paris Suburbs, to give a longer Paris drive. A negative of mapping a dense city shape is that even after all this work, you can drive from corner to corner in only about 15 minutes, so the links will give a longer experience.
Le Daron

#97 Post by Le Daron » 06 Jan 2023 12:58

Great news

is their any way to "connect" map 1:1 beetween eatch others ?
I'm currently mapping the Gironde (south-west of France) department and i wonder if we could connect differents 1:1 maps with a train trip for example ?
@Georges93 ?
ZeFrango

#98 Post by ZeFrango » 06 Jan 2023 13:37

nice work
raphael_alioth

#99 Post by raphael_alioth » 06 Jan 2023 20:09

Could you send a link in this forum as soon as the alpha is released?
MReinprecht

#100 Post by MReinprecht » 14 Jan 2023 17:55

Servus

When will the map mod be released ?

Return to “Maps”