[WIP] [Rel] Paris 1:1 Map [1.49]

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check the Forum Rules.
fisherm

[WIP] [Rel] Paris 1:1 Map [1.49]

#1 Post by fisherm » 17 Feb 2022 14:08

(February 2024 - 1.49 Release)

Here is a link to the alpha release of Paris 121 (1.49 ready)

Paris121_1-49_pack.zip - 842.9 MB

Please unzip the download file first and read the manual. There's only a limited number of starting locations available, and these are listed there. The remaining zip file Paris121 goes into your mods folder, still zipped.

Essential System Requirements
- Euro Truck Simulator 2
- DLCs Vive La France, Going East, Italia, Scandinavia, Beyond the Baltic Sea, Road to the Black Sea, Iberia, West Balkans.

Important to reduce system crashes: -
In your Documents/Euro Truck Simulator 2 folder, open the config.cfg text file.
o Find the line “uset r_buffer_page_size” and set the value to 30. (this allocates more graphics memory)
o Save the config file.

This is a working draft, released only because it will take years to finish the project. You are driving with the understanding that the map is unfinished, and not debugged.
But with that said - I hope you enjoy it.

---------

What do you do if you miss visiting Paris, you want to explore the possibilities of the ETS2 map editor, and you're perhaps a little bit crazy? You build a model of the whole city at 1:1 scale, of course! 3 years later, and with over 40 square km of ultra dense roads now included, the work-in-progress map includes about half of the area inside the Paris Périphérique ring road motorway. The A1 motorway is also advancing north through the suburbs towards the airport, Charles de Gaulle. Most visitors arrive at CDG airport first, and truckers will be encouraged to choose their garage there for a realistic experience before heading to central Paris.

[ external image ]

One of Paris's most famous tourist attractions is the Sacré-Cœur basilica, with magnificent views over the city. The streets are very narrow though for trucks, and it's a steep climb, so not for the faint hearted. There are no backdrop wallpapers allowed in Paris 1:1, so everything you can see down the hill are drivable roads.

[ external image ]

Notre Dame cathedral is on its island in the river Seine. Those who notice details will see the TV tower in the background. I use these to match the model to the grid on my paper map, and then delete the towers when I've finished a section.

[ external image ]

Those with good eyesight will also see Paris's Point Zero marker on the ground in front of the cathedral, used as the central reference point for Paris's geography. Point Zero is one of over 650 custom Blender models, included to make the map feel more like the real city. So the Arc de Triomphe makes its proud debut in ETS2:

[ external image ]

And the Luxor obelisque at Concorde:

[ external image ]

And the Palais Garnier, Paris's opera where the phantom lives.

[ external image ]

France's coronavirus lockdown was very strict, and the museums all closed. In this map model only, the museums could open in a safe drive-through mode. Drivers who leave their trailers behind can view around 300 paintings in four galleries, including at the Musée d'Orsay:

[ external image ]

... the Louvre, which includes the famous Pyramide:

[ external image ]

And a few paintings at the Petit Palais and the Marmottan, as well as authentic adverts for many others. Paris is also rightly famous for its street art. There are 100 pieces of street art and counting, marked by red stars on the driver assistance map (posted below), to encourage drivers to explore.

[ external image ]

Many of you will know Paris for the Métro, so of course the stations above ground had to be included.

[ external image ]

Surrounding Paris and forming the map boundary is the Périphérique ring road motorway:

[ external image ]

At the north of the city, the Périphérique meets the A1 motorway, at France's busiest road junction. It is also next to the main railway lines from Gare du Nord station to the north, so displaying all that is tough on the graphics card.

[ external image ]

The A1 proceeds north through Saint Denis, and passes the Stade de France national stadium, if you'd like to park and pause for some sport or a show.

[ external image ]

In order to provide delivery locations, instead of cities in the conventional ETS2 sense, Paris 1:1 uses the Métro stations as locations, and also a few of the stations on the RER suburban lines. Delivery locations are hidden among buildings, to avoid spoiling the realism, and might even be underground, such as the Paris shopping mall, Les Halles. You'll see from the map below how closely packed all these roads are. Red stars show the street art, and the major landmarks are also included in this map.

[ external image ]

Here the A1 goes north, heading for the airport:

[ external image ]

A second extension goes out towards La Défense, offering some views to break your graphics card.

[ external image ]

Until next time, good night from Paris.

[ external image ]
Last edited by fisherm on 28 Feb 2024 20:43, edited 12 times in total.
olaf28

Re: [WIP] Paris 1:1 Map

#2 Post by olaf28 » 17 Feb 2022 16:25

Damn thats look very good and big
I would think it a release worthy?
Proc: i7-9750H 2,6 GHz (max. 4,5 GHz)
Mem: 16GB
Grap: ASUS ROG -STRIX-RTX2060-O6G-GAMING 6 GB GDDR6
bobgrey1997

#3 Post by bobgrey1997 » 17 Feb 2022 16:35

Almost by the looks of it. I see a few awkward dead end roads, which probably needs a bit of finishing polish before release.
This map does look amazing! I've never seen a 1:1 map so in-depth before, let alone with so much progress already done before it ever seen the Forum.

The underground stations are a waste of effort, though they do look good.
Unfortunately, the player will never see them during normal gameplay if they are underground, so all of these items and nodes will only serve as a processing hog with no benefits. Probably not noticeable if the map is optimized, but it is still wasting RAM and processing power.

Are there plans to later expand the city? I see a lot of roads near the river going east and south that end, which tells me the edge of the current map runs straight through the city, and that there is more beyond yet to be developed. That's not to say it is lacking, it just makes me curious of what the plans are further out.
fisherm

#4 Post by fisherm » 17 Feb 2022 18:45

Thanks for your interest. You make a good point about the dead ends, and finishing polish. I'm nearly at a stage of "squaring off" the current two southern corners, which would make a natural break point for an early release version. But closing the loose ends where you can see off the map edge would be a big distraction from pressing on to my full version, particularly in places where there's long range visibility, such as down the river, so I think probably not. But if the community want to argue the case otherwise, or for an unfinished rough public release, do let me know. My pre-release volunteer tester doesn't mind the unfinished edges, and just wants to try it.
In addition, my first areas need improvements and quality control, that isn't done at the moment - for example, it took me a year to find out the pedestrian crossings were called "crosswalks" in the editor, so they're missing from the first areas, which looks wrong, as are all the iconic presse cabines where they sell papers and magazines, and the "Morris columns" with the adverts, which waited until I learned to import Blender models.

Dead ends inside the map - some of these are deliberate, where there really is a dead end. Paris 1:1 is meant to feel real, and not like a simulation intended for optimal player experience. The city is unforgiving - if you want to drive up a dead end and get stuck - your choice. A route might look good on the GPS, then you'll find a Parisian has parked their car too close to the junction and a truck can't drive the trailer into there. There are hidden maintenance access points you can drive onto the rail lines, and delivery points by the rail lines - your choice. Steep stairs down the hills, or drive into the river... If someone can go there in reality, they should be able to visit on the map. Unlike other mods, I want driving in a city to feel very busy, and even a little stressful. After posting my first post, I got stuck in a big jam on the A1 behind an accident at La Courneuve. Vehicles moved slowly round the incident. It felt real. That was the immersion I was trying to create.

[ external image ]

Future plans - I intend to work east and south, one 250mx250m grid square at a time, until the entire area inside the Périphérique is in the model, with no loose ends where you can drive off the map. That is the primary goal. Maybe I'd like to extend along the A13 to Saint-Cloud like I'm doing with the A1 - the view of the river is beautiful; down the A14 to La Defense; and down the A6 to Orly, to offer airport-to-airport.
hecatonchires

#5 Post by hecatonchires » 17 Feb 2022 19:45

Definitely a project worth driving. The pictures a massively detailed and i cant wait to drive in this map.
The Set-Up:
[ external image ]
Digital X

#6 Post by Digital X » 17 Feb 2022 19:47

I remember seeing this on the Promods forum, great to see how it's progressing now.
Lukemfc

#8 Post by Lukemfc » 17 Feb 2022 21:44

This looks amazing will follow updates with interest. Would love if Disneyland was included
olaf28

#9 Post by olaf28 » 18 Feb 2022 11:15

The choice is yours of course,
But I don't mind trying an early version. And if you relase that, other players can give suggestions for improvement and sometimes find bugs that testers missed.
Proc: i7-9750H 2,6 GHz (max. 4,5 GHz)
Mem: 16GB
Grap: ASUS ROG -STRIX-RTX2060-O6G-GAMING 6 GB GDDR6
crowjose

#10 Post by crowjose » 18 Feb 2022 22:18

Good evening, I would like to be a beta tester if you need people to test the map.

Return to “Maps”