ATS 1.44 Discussion

plykkegaard

Re: ATS 1.44 Discussion

#641 Post by plykkegaard » 13 May 2022 10:53

Nobody likes rushed content

flight50 wrote: 13 May 2022 06:42 SCS has done this in the Baltics I know. Not sure where else
Afaik it was introduced with Scandinavia DLC

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
flight50

#642 Post by flight50 » 13 May 2022 12:08

Scandinavia huh. Well the tech has been around forever then. I wouldn't oppose to having those lights everywhere honestly. They are really only in the larger city areas on surface streets. So let's say 100k or larger cities get those from 12 midnight to 6am.
hangman005

#643 Post by hangman005 » 13 May 2022 12:29

Moving a step further than that, and a lot more difficult to implement, would be a power cut random event, seeing street and traffic lights not working and have linemen working on a power pole or something. I'd make it one of the rarer random events but it's be nice to happen every now and then.
flight50

#644 Post by flight50 » 13 May 2022 13:29

^I like that. I've mentioned traffic light random events several times some time ago making them malfunction after severe thunderstorms. The malfunctioning lights happens a lot in my city. There can be violent winds or someone crashing into a pole and blows the transformers. Other times street work or just something unknown makes the lights malfunction. I don't know if new random events continue to make their way into the game or not but random events are like cargo. There is always something to do.

I'm not sure who takes care of random events but a lot of things that make the game, can't be forgotten. Somethings need continuous support as in refreshed just like maps.
supersobes
Global moderator

#645 Post by supersobes » 13 May 2022 14:25

Implementing the flashing traffic signal at night would require research. Just implementing it everywhere would be quite foolish since it's actually pretty rare in the US to have traffic signals function like this. In most places in the US, the traffic signal will stay operational all night, with it defaulting to staying green for the main road all the time until a car pulls up on the side road to trigger the sensor.
hangman005

#646 Post by hangman005 » 13 May 2022 14:39

Agreed, especially with detours, I like the concept, but some of the placements is baffling and work needs to be done to improve it, outside of a bit more road density. My biggest annoyance is still too often more lanes than needed are blocked because of a detour in certain directions.
flight50

#647 Post by flight50 » 13 May 2022 17:26

supersobes wrote: 13 May 2022 14:25 In most places in the US, the traffic signal will stay operational all night, with it defaulting to staying green for the main road all the time until a car pulls up on the side road to trigger the sensor.
The problem then goes to how do you do a sensor. Best way imo, do a trigger on a timer. Most lights are like this I agree. The trigger would have to be complex though. It needs to be on a 12am to 6am schedule only. In the operable hrs it's normal but after midnight, the timer kicks in to be side street standby. Does SCS then apply the trigger to all traffic which includes the AI? I'd say yes as it would be odd to only be triggered by human players.

I think both timer and flashing lights should be implemented. Why only put it in ETS2 when it exist here in the US as well. Goes back to something I said before. A dev should make a reporting thread for the community to post light behavior to get flashing lights in the game for their cities. SCS can't go by hersay. We'd need to show proof. Otherwise it's sensor/trigger based.

The reporting thread would be low priority implementing wise but at least the devs could be aware of it to implement when time permits.
SchleichDi

#648 Post by SchleichDi » 13 May 2022 18:37

I'm doing the new Special Transport routes from the dispatcher email that came with the 1.44 update (I did not participate in the beta). So far it worked well but now that I'm at the bottom of the list: There is nothing in Winnemucca. I own all the state DLC if that is important.
Viper28

#649 Post by Viper28 » 13 May 2022 19:58

_Roger_ wrote: 13 May 2022 10:25 Implement it everywhere, if a dozen people complain about it in one city look into it specifically.

On the subject of why everything's taking so long, I don't know why anyone's suprised. SCS is in a unique posistion. They have a finite amount of game to create. Once they create all of the US, Canada, Mexico, half their company is laid off. Neither the company nor the employees have any incentive to make anything faster.

And just to pre-reply to the inevitible "but they'll just move to "{location x} truck simulator" there's still only a finite amount of world, they gain nothing by making it faster.
good golly this just makes no sense...

While rushed content is not the way to go, a clip that produces the revenue they desire might be advantageous.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
supersobes
Global moderator

#650 Post by supersobes » 13 May 2022 20:23

flight50 wrote: 13 May 2022 17:26 The problem then goes to how do you do a sensor. Best way imo, do a trigger on a timer. Most lights are like this I agree. The trigger would have to be complex though. It needs to be on a 12am to 6am schedule only. In the operable hrs it's normal but after midnight, the timer kicks in to be side street standby. Does SCS then apply the trigger to all traffic which includes the AI? I'd say yes as it would be odd to only be triggered by human players.
If SCS is going to add sensor-based signals that vehicles can trigger, they should just do it the way it works on a real signal rather than over complicating it. Sensor-based traffic signals do not care about the time of day at all. The only inputs it receives are from the road users, whether than be stopping a vehicle over a loop detector, sensing a vehicle with a camera, pushing a crosswalk button, etc. There is no time-based scheduling going on. The reason why sensor-based signals will act differently at night is because there are fewer road users applying inputs to it. If you had absolutely no traffic on the road at all in the middle of the day, the signal will still default to giving green to the priority road until someone comes up on the side road put an input into the system.

Return to “General discussion about the game”