why scs software doesn't care about graphics in game?

Optional Features

Re: why scs software doesn't care about graphics in game?

#321 Post by Optional Features » 18 May 2022 02:00

IamTheOne wrote: 18 May 2022 00:07 Interesting point. But these are two different games addressing two different industries: trucking and farming. Farm customization in Farm Sim makes sense because a majority of game time you spend working at the farm. In American Truck Simulator? I rarely ever spend time at the garage, because even if I'm using my own truck I'm usually in the middle of a delivery, elsewhere on the map. I don't care if the walls of my garage in ATS are black, orange or green, because at the end of the day I want to be outside of my garage in order to play the game. In Farm Sim, on the other hand, the game revolves around your own personal farm and its multiple assets.

I guess that you can try to add a certain depth to the game by way of adding company management to ATS, having to hire secretaries, mechanics and deciding who my drivers are. But why should I care when they're just a bunch of names on a screen costing me money for salary every couple of in-game days? While I am strongly opinionated on the subject, I will admit that there's no easy solution for SCS to make this game into something that is a legitimately endearing experience that's more than just cosmetic window dressing.
I agree and disagree. I'd love a game (specifically for regional/linehaul work) where I could build my company over time and customize my facility, fleet, and other equipment for specific contract clients. I'd even like to see such a system expanded to where I could operate a business in game that required truck support (like one of the big box stores or a steel mill/sawmill).

And I'd love to be able to start off playing as a contact worker for a big fleet with existing facilities, buy a used truck, become an O/O, start on my own, and grow.

So no it isn't farming, but I would still like to see some customization options for our yards and companies.
Optional Features

#322 Post by Optional Features » 18 May 2022 02:02

Viper28 wrote: 18 May 2022 01:57 true. Ultimately, I question if in reality SCS' target consumer here is really the individual wanting to enter the trucking industry or considering it. I am less and less convinced they're after the simulation enthusiast. I'd say the educational demographic too with the scenic screen shows or whatever they call them. To those of you that are diehard detailed simulation enthusiast; I wish I had the money; I throw an amazing game together for us. However, we'd likely have to be using non-branded generic trucks. That's SCS' prized possession.
I'd honestly prefer unbranded trucks, if the game supported mods. That would mean anything would be possible from cracked windows and blown tires to burned out headlights and bent bumpers.
JeeF

#323 Post by JeeF » 18 May 2022 02:11

I also don't ever visit the garage. As a matter of fact, I get annoyed when I'm teleported there because something changed in my game.
That is because the game world is dead. There is the occasional pedestrian that looks more like those animatrons from cheap thrill rides.
There are AI cars that couldn't possibly behave more like a dumb and obivous AI.
Compare to any other open world game from modern times and you'll find ATS has one of the most dead game worlds of all.

Just imagine how incredibly immersive and involving it would be to arrive at a delivery depot and find loads of trucks arriving, leaving, maneuvering, etc.
People moving around, opening up trucks, operating forklifts, moving cargo around, and all that deafening noise that accompanies it.
If you ever worked with logistics or had the opportunity of spending a couple of hours in a cargo depot you'll understand what I'm saying.

Same with the garage. It would be awesome to arrive at your garage and find a couple of your hired drivers there, repairing their trucks.
Maybe a couple of trucks leaving, a couple arriving, some mechanics under one of them, another lifted up with someone changing the oil or something.

But in terms of making us feel connected and immersed with the game world, what do we have? Hell, we don't even have WIND.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato
Viper28

#324 Post by Viper28 » 18 May 2022 02:15

seriousmods wrote: 18 May 2022 02:02
Viper28 wrote: 18 May 2022 01:57 true. Ultimately, I question if in reality SCS' target consumer here is really the individual wanting to enter the trucking industry or considering it. I am less and less convinced they're after the simulation enthusiast. I'd say the educational demographic too with the scenic screen shows or whatever they call them. To those of you that are diehard detailed simulation enthusiast; I wish I had the money; I throw an amazing game together for us. However, we'd likely have to be using non-branded generic trucks. That's SCS' prized possession.
I'd honestly prefer unbranded trucks, if the game supported mods. That would mean anything would be possible from cracked windows and blown tires to burned out headlights and bent bumpers.
while it wouldn't be perfect. oh yes, it would be far more moddable. I'd like to see a map world that would allow for prefab modding, some industry modding, modding of cargo to create new load types and perhaps even loads. while there are still some programming constraints, I'd look to push the envelope a bit rather than the "hold" button on the telephone.
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
Optional Features

#325 Post by Optional Features » 18 May 2022 02:19

JeeF wrote: 18 May 2022 02:11 Same with the garage. It would be awesome to arrive at your garage and find a couple of your hired drivers there, repairing their trucks.
Maybe a couple of trucks leaving, a couple arriving, some mechanics under one of them, another lifted up with someone changing the oil or something.
Totally agreed. Seeing something move somewhere would make a massive difference in feel, but even sounds would be more than we have now.

At this point, I don't think SCS even desires to have that kind of immersive experience, and judging from some of the responses of the best community ever, I don't think they want it either.
Shiva

#326 Post by Shiva » 18 May 2022 13:22

There are people doing new prefabs, maybe even industries too?
Cargo mods? yeah, there is!
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Viper28

#327 Post by Viper28 » 18 May 2022 14:32

Shiva wrote: 18 May 2022 13:22 There are people doing new prefabs, maybe even industries too?
Cargo mods? yeah, there is!
oh? please, do tell...
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" -JFK
Shiva

#328 Post by Shiva » 18 May 2022 15:56

Just check all the mods there is. + map mods.
Even 1:1 maps.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
abasstreppas

#329 Post by abasstreppas » 18 May 2022 17:26

For me it would be nice to walk around and fill diesel, connecting air-hoses, unloading/loading cargo and other stuff... one, two, maybe three times. After that it would be boring. I did feel the same thing about the economic part of the game. I did have drivers in my company during the first year (2013) after that I've never used it and I don't look back.

For me this game is about driving in a relaxed way, listening to the radio. I don't care much about micromanaging a company, there are other games for that. Also the thing that made ETS2 a success in the beginning were just the "non stress" factor of the game. You are just supposed to drive from A to B. I think the majority of the users still uses the game in the same way.
Optional Features

#330 Post by Optional Features » 18 May 2022 17:30

I would agree many players want to relax, but those players shouldn't dictate 100% of game development. At most, they should drive 50%.

SCS is artificially limiting its own reach by catering so hard to the "just drive" crowd that any potential growth in the hardcore sim customer is capped.

There are people who have built entire truck dashboards, one possibly with functional switches. That kind of player wants a better experience than what is currently offered.

Return to “General discussion about the game”