About the mileage signs in ETS2 1.44 Open Beta

SenseFM

About the mileage signs in ETS2 1.44 Open Beta

#1 Post by SenseFM » 26 Apr 2022 15:46

First of all, I want to thank the developers for adding mileage signs to Euro Truck Simulator 2. They may seem like a small addition compared to other new features that version 1.44 Open Beta has brought, but they greatly enhance immersion in the game. I open this topic because after traveling a bit through the map I have noticed a certain imbalance in the frequency of these signals, and I would like to ask what criteria have been followed to decide which places would be marked with these labels.

From what I've seen, most of the time these signs are placed at highway intersections, which makes a lot of sense. In some countries, such as those in Scandinavia, intersections between minor roads are also signposted. In other cases, the borders are also usually marked, with a sign on each side of an international line. In certain examples some signs are also placed at the change from a conventional road to a motorway (in some places in Scandinavia and Switzerland). Finally, there are also the cases in which these signals can be seen as you leave a city or a ferry port.

All of these examples make a lot of sense, but throughout driving around the map I have noticed that they are not applied consistently, and, in some countries, I noticed that the mileage signs were less frequent. Since I was missing a more even signal density, I decided to check the game using the dev cam and after a couple hours I got the following map, which shows as green circles every place where I have found at least one mileage sign.

[ external image ]

The map shows that, although most of the map is signposted uniformly, countries like Spain, Italy, Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, and Bulgaria have significantly lower density in mileage signs than other areas. Given this situation, I would like to see more signs added to these countries for them to more consistent with the rest of the map. I don't know if the lack of these sigs can be considered a bug or if I'm the only one that misses them, but I’d be very grateful if they could be added before the official launch of 1.44. Let me know what you think about this.

Regards, SenseFM.
pigbrother

Re: About the mileage signs in ETS2 1.44 Open Beta

#2 Post by pigbrother » 26 Apr 2022 15:54

Distance signs in ATS also arrived staggered, probably future updates like 1.45 or even a future 1.44.x most likely would bring more. TBH I didn't expect them to place so many of them in their first step because it's a tedious and time consuming task.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
Trucker Nik

#3 Post by Trucker Nik » 26 Apr 2022 16:06

Are distance markers all over the map? (base + DLC maps) So far I have only seen them in Austria and Germany
tomprice98

#4 Post by tomprice98 » 26 Apr 2022 16:55

Wales is the only country included in the game that has 0 ;(
Aziz

#5 Post by Aziz » 26 Apr 2022 17:28

It's worth mentioning that country border icons usually point at a town nearby that marks the distance. At least where I live. This is rarely, if not at all, the case in ETS 2, so I guess that's why it's not there.
Unless you're talking about something entirely different of course.
Underscore_101_

#6 Post by Underscore_101_ » 26 Apr 2022 17:50

Not sure if they're seeing Wales as a separate country atm.

Wales, Scotland and England all fall under UK, at least in 1.43 that was the last time I extracted the def files.
They aren't even in the recommended identifiers for countries.
RebelModding

#7 Post by RebelModding » 26 Apr 2022 19:03

I don't know if it has something to do with it, but the new(er) DLCs seem to correspont with the places that have less mileage signs, so I suspect they kind of do it like the release dates of the map. So older parts first and than onto the new parts of the map.
SenseFM

#8 Post by SenseFM » 26 Apr 2022 20:12

pigbrother wrote: 26 Apr 2022 15:54 Distance signs in ATS also arrived staggered, probably future updates like 1.45 or even a future 1.44.x most likely would bring more. TBH I didn't expect them to place so many of them in their first step because it's a tedious and time consuming task.
RebelModding wrote: 26 Apr 2022 19:03 I don't know if it has something to do with it, but the new(er) DLCs seem to correspont with the places that have less mileage signs, so I suspect they kind of do it like the release dates of the map. So older parts first and than onto the new parts of the map.
You're both probably right. If I recall correctly in ATS mileage signs were firstly added to the newest states. With ETS2 they seem to have done the reverse and started with the base map areas and the older DLCs, that's why the newer DLCs seem to have less of them. Nevertheless I was too pretty surprised to see that they've added signs to every region of the game, albeit not equally.
jackalnxt

#9 Post by jackalnxt » 27 Apr 2022 07:22

Only Sofia and the South have gotten signs. Northern Bulgaria gets nothing. Sad. :cry:
Javito

#10 Post by Javito » 27 Apr 2022 07:32

Portugal has more signs in such a small space and Spain has few.
Iberia DLC will always be the least affection, spoiled compared to other DLC by SCS.

Here is another example.

Return to “General discussion about the game”