1.44 Extreme FPS Drops

Krisu_Driver

1.44 Extreme FPS Drops

#1 Post by Krisu_Driver » 12 May 2022 13:06

I initially tried ETS2 1.44 in open beta. I fast-travelled to Vienna where I experienced absolutely terrible asset loading and shuttering. I degraded to 1.43 and waited till today. To make this fair I traveled from Berlin to Genova (Thus crossing Austria) in the newly launched 1.44 and just as I entered Austria massive shuttering started taking place. Frames dropped from 60 all the way to 25. Still don't understand what's the issue here.

PC - Lenovo Legion 5i
CPU - i5-10th Gen
GPU- GTX 1650
Ram - 8GB
zimmer58

Re: 1.44 Extreme FPS Drops

#2 Post by zimmer58 » 12 May 2022 13:43

Okay, ihav moved some other old mods and i still can`t start the game, i think there are some truuble with 1,44 update, maybe it a little to early they let it out
But what du i know
Tomsun

#3 Post by Tomsun » 16 May 2022 19:55

Version 1.44 managed to bring my 1080ti at its limits (3440*1440, all maxed out, scaling at 100%), from DLC to DLC and rework to rework the requirements are increasing, today it was the first time i hit power limits, voltage limits and temperature limits on the GPU in some areas of the reworked austrian cities. So clearly here the GPU was at its limits. Occasionally framedrops were the GPU was not even near to its limits happened before also, that was clearly the problem of missing multithreading at the game engine, but i'm confident this problem will be solved by SCS in the not so far future, the other "problem" has to be solved by updating the GPU, reducing the details , or ignoring the problem (the dips were not below 60 FPS). Would be interesting to know what assets are causing these dips. In Iberia i had also dips, but mainly more combined with singlethreading problems (GPU was not even at its limits, this was seen for the very first time in some austrian cities)
abasstreppas

#4 Post by abasstreppas » 16 May 2022 20:08

The answer is quite simple, just look around you when in Austria and compare it to previous parts of the map - it's way more detailed, more parked cars, more people, more buildings, more complex road network, more of everything. Of course it will make the game taking a bigger toll on your computer. I have the same problem on my old rig and I just have to accept it.
Tomsun

#5 Post by Tomsun » 17 May 2022 05:26

abasstreppas wrote: 16 May 2022 20:08 The answer is quite simple, just look around you when in Austria and compare it to previous parts of the map - it's way more detailed, more parked cars, more people, more buildings, more complex road network, more of everything. Of course it will make the game taking a bigger toll on your computer. I have the same problem on my old rig and I just have to accept it.
It was not a complain, it was an identification, most of the austrian cities are still fine, there are only certain places where it is "extreme".
So my assumption is that ONLY some assets are causing that issues, that perhaps can be optimized for better experience.

Maybe you can be so detailed that even a 3090ti SLI won't be able to manage it.
The questions is not what is possible in modelling, but what is usable.
Its always a compromise, not everything what is possible makes sense.

The experience from Austria today vs. Hungary today, its clear where to go!

My solutions is to accept it as it is.
abasstreppas

#6 Post by abasstreppas » 17 May 2022 09:07

For me most FPS-drops appear around big traffic junctions on highways. It could be too many spawns of Ai's at the same time, or something with route calculation... As you said, cities are fine, it's more highway-related for me ;)
Tomsun

#7 Post by Tomsun » 17 May 2022 17:29

There are two situations:
1.) Frames dropping while GPU reaches its limit, due to highly sophisticated scene (eye candy), no big brainer can easily be solved with buying a more recent powerful GPU, and as i said the happens the first time in ETS2 at the renewed austrian cities, more load more parallel cuda (or what it is called at AMD) cores. No problem there is all the power unleashed the hardware provides.

What is more a problem
2.) Frame dropping while GPU is at medium load, while the single thread is filled up and probably an additional task is worked at the prism3D Engine. The CPU in total has a load below 10% due to its number of threads. Unlike Multithreading in Singlethreading we don't have a doubling or trippling the performance, its bound to Frequency and internal cache size. Even my old notebook from 2011 (T420) as my actual Notebook from 2012 (T430) has a 4core/8thread processor or at least before upgrading 2core/4thread processor my former gaming PC had a 4core/8thread 3.5/4.0 GHz CPU 2012, now 12core/24threads 3,8/4,4 GHz 2019. The next CPU probably app. same number of cores/threads and frequency 4.0/5.2 GHz and a more efficient IPC.
But this is not solving the real problem even at the very beginning of SCS Simulators there were already the Dual cores as the limitation in getting higher and higher clockspeeds were known, you can't fool physics. Higher and higher frequencies lead to high and high power consumption not giving the appropriate calculation power, but a lot of cooling problems. Its interesting that it took such such a long time turning this from a theoretical to a practical problem. i highlighted this topic several years ago before changing to the ryzen system, as i found it irritating that i need to upgrade my hardware instead of upgrading the game engine to state of the art. Clearly said the scaling is not linear as not everything can be parallelized, but i think there are a lot of tasks that can be separated, Navigation, AI, company drivers,... and a lot more. This is of course no simple task but i think it would gave a massive boost to game and make it "future proof" i don't see any 10 GHz CPUs and 10 GHz Memory in the next 10 years, but i see more and more detailed maps in the next years desperately seeking for compute power. Thinking of a game engine what is using all available compute power if necessary, 64 cores and more. The task is then to cut into slices, of course there will remain a major task, but perhaps its not to massive.
Vitya89

#8 Post by Vitya89 » 22 May 2022 19:36

warrnin 1.44 interflow

Return to “Technical Problems”