Lockable Steering Axles and Pivot Points

Deezle

Lockable Steering Axles and Pivot Points

#1 Post by Deezle » 14 May 2022 19:11

IRL, some types of trailers have steering axles that do not lift, because they can't be lifted, the steering has to be locked so they can reverse (I realize ATS uses magic self-steering axles and it doesn't matter if we back up with them on the ground, but the point stands). I don't believe we currently have any applications for this in vanilla ATS, but it would be a nice feature for modders. This could easily be defined within the chassis def with something like "lockable_steering: true/false".

The next one is lockable pivot points. IRL, some trailers you can lock a pivot point to make backing easier. The one application applicable to vanilla ATS is a booster on a lowboy, the ones that don't fully lift off the ground can often be locked straight for easier backing. Another common IRL one is on dump pup trailers that use a turntable dolly, the dolly can be locked straight for reversing.

While we're at it, we should be able to also have steerable lift axles that automatically lift when the truck is put in reverse, this is a common IRL feature, because you can't reverse with a self-steering axle without lifting or locking it, since they can only steer properly in the forward direction.

Here's an example of a locking self-steering axle on a dump pup trailer. You can see the steering link has a slotted tab and you can see there's a bar that drops into the tab to lock it.

[ external image ]

Here's a lowboy booster, you can see the hole where a large pin can be inserted to stop it from pivoting.

[ external image ]

Here's an example of a locking pivot on a dump pup, you can see the dolly turns at the beginning of the video but when he backs up to dump, it is locked solid.
ASDF

Re: Lockable Steering Axles and Pivot Points

#2 Post by ASDF » 20 May 2022 19:27

[[ external image ]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R49Luhgld2o&t=38s
I also hope that the scs software can let us control the booster to realize the function of reversing, refer to this video
https://www.trailking.com/solutions/spe ... /boosters/
This is the official website of trail king
Hopefully in the future America Truck Simulator will add these trucks: Freightliner 122SD/Century/Columbia/FLD/Cascadia/Coronado, Kenworth T800/T880/W990,Volvo VNX740, International HX520/ ProStar, and MACK Pinnacle, MACK Titan.
Deezle

#3 Post by Deezle » 20 May 2022 23:28

I knew I had seen a video of a lowboy reversing with a locked booster but couldn't remember what it was, thanks!
ASDF

#5 Post by ASDF » 21 May 2022 18:49

Here's Trail King's video on booster usage
Hopefully in the future America Truck Simulator will add these trucks: Freightliner 122SD/Century/Columbia/FLD/Cascadia/Coronado, Kenworth T800/T880/W990,Volvo VNX740, International HX520/ ProStar, and MACK Pinnacle, MACK Titan.
Some newbie driver

#6 Post by Some newbie driver » 21 May 2022 22:25

Deezle wrote: 14 May 2022 19:11I realize ATS uses magic self-steering axles and it doesn't matter if we back up with them on the ground, but the point stands
ATS uses no magic, depicts what exist IRL.

The kind of axles you mention are "auto-steering" ones, that steer due the forces applied to the tire when turning. This only works when going forward ans that's why they have to be locked when reversing.

But there exist other kind of axles that are actively steered, either mechanically, hydraulically or electrically. Those axles always steer as it should, either going forward or going backwards; so there's no need to lock them when reversing (in fact, it would be worse)

The game only depict that second kind of axles so far. So, it's not a question to fix nothing (no "magic" or anything else unrealistic). At most,. it would be the point to add the two kind of axles for people to choose; it has been requested several times for both games already. IMHO, considering the ones we already have are better in almost everything (that its relevant for this game); I don't think they will have any hurry to add the ones you ask for. But well, who knows, maybe isn't too difficult and as it has been requested several times they add it eventually.

Regards
Deezle

#7 Post by Deezle » 22 May 2022 01:38

American trucks and especially trailers almost exclusively use self steering lift axles. Therefore the ones we have are in ATS are magic in that context.

I realize this request in a long shot when there's a lot of other basic things still missing from the game, but I figured I'd at least throw it out there.
ASDF

#9 Post by ASDF » 01 Oct 2022 13:55

Here's a video I found on YouTube, currently we can't push a low load trailer in the direction we need to go in America Truck Simulator
Optional Features

#10 Post by Optional Features » 01 Oct 2022 20:33

We also can't split them and carry the stacked parts. A mod kinda does that with an F7 command, but like doubles and triples, lowboys need official disconnection support.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”