What is the longest straight road in ATS?

Travismods

What is the longest straight road in ATS?

#1 Post by Travismods » 15 May 2022 11:03

Highway 46 in North Dakota is supposedly the longest straight road in the US and Canada at 121-mile-long pure straight. This got me thinking, what is the longest completely straight road in ATS so far? Given that we don't have North Dakota yet as a DLC, we don't have Highway 46 to drive on, so what is the straighest road currently we currently have in ATS?

[ external image ]

It also got me thinking, what will be the straightest road once the US is complete in ATS at 1:20 scale? Will we even see ND-46 or will some other straight be the longest we can drive without turning our wheel? :D Will Texas have some long straight highways included?
rbsanford

Re: What is the longest straight road in ATS?

#2 Post by rbsanford » 15 May 2022 11:43

There are some good straights on US 395 and, unrealistically, US 191, but they're hilly. The longest straight without any elevation changes is US 6/50 across the Sevier Desert between Kings Canyon and Delta; it's a great place to see how fast you can go.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
supersobes
Global moderator

#3 Post by supersobes » 15 May 2022 15:27

US-285 between Vaughn and Roswell, New Mexico also comes to mind. There are some small curves on that stretch, but they're so slight that you hardly notice them.
KnuteOle

#4 Post by KnuteOle » 15 May 2022 18:28

i've wondered this myself.

that stretch of Hwy 46 is not completely straight for that 121 miles. there are at least 3 or 4 places where it curves when crossing streams and rivers, but the majority of it is straight as an arrow.

there's a 28-mile stretch of Hwy 26 in Idaho between Corral and Hwy 75 that's as straight as can be. i've driven on that stretch multiple times going to/from Sun Valley; you barely need to touch the steering wheel for half an hour on that road.

however, even though Hwy 26 is in the game, the straight part is completely eliminated. due to the scale, you go from the curvy part between Mountain Home and Corral and quickly into the Hwy 26/Hwy 75 intersection, so you don't get the feel of that long straight road that feels like it'll never end.

i really do hope that the plain states feature a lot of long, straight, vast stretches of nothingness with storms in the distance and the occasional flash of lightening on the horizon. for me, it's those straight roads that make the journey seem more epic when traveling.
Visit my World of Trucks profile and say hi!
https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4918521
_Roger_

#5 Post by _Roger_ » 15 May 2022 19:53

I 80 over salt lake without question
rbsanford

#6 Post by rbsanford » 15 May 2022 19:54

I know flight is going to bring this up, but I'll beat him to it: a longer stretch of I-80 across the Great Salt Lake Desert would be very nice too. It feels too short in the game (even when accounting for the scale); I know flight has a concept map he made where that stretch was about doubled in length while keeping the port of entry at the west end and the curve around the mountains to the east, so hopefully he'll share that here.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Optional Features

#7 Post by Optional Features » 15 May 2022 21:34

My dream would be to see SCS double a lot of things: the weight of trailers, the height of mountains and trees around roads, the steepness of many hills, and the distance between cities.

Cities are way too close together: it makes the whole country feel like one urban area.
justgettingold

#8 Post by justgettingold » 17 May 2022 00:40

There's a nice long and completely straight stretch on 491 in Colorado.
Sara

#9 Post by Sara » 17 May 2022 22:13

Anyone not looking over to Eastern Colorado... There is some nice long straights there.
NWbyNW

#10 Post by NWbyNW » 18 May 2022 23:08

STRAIGHT ROUTES CURRENTLY IN-GAME

Before they reworked Northern California, I-5 from Redding to about Los Angeles was mostly flat and straight. It had huge shoulders too. A very straight stretch of freeway in game, but not anymore with the addition of the Grapevine and various curves.

So that leaves me with a few other straight roads left. I don't have the map in front of me, but there is a stretch of road that parallels Hwy 99 in Fresno. That practically straight for a very long ways.

Another nearly perfectly straight stretch of roads is between Los Angeles and Phoenix. Practically no curves and some minor elevation change in game. Just flat, straight, long.

Last one at the top of my head is I-90 between Ritzville and Spokane. Straight, thought some minor elevation change. In game it ignores the steep grade going into Spokane. But otherwise it is very straight in game.

Return to “General discussion about the game”