Please SCS, stop placing invisible walls so aggressively. It's taking the fun out of the beautiful map.

TruckinDiesel

Re: Please SCS, stop placing invisible walls so aggressively. It's taking the fun out of the beautiful map.

#11 Post by TruckinDiesel » 17 May 2022 18:13

The invisible walls are my biggest annoyance. There's so many places to visit, and yet we can't by default. Salt Lake City especially has the landmark Mormon Temple and the State Capitol, which are iconic buildings. I dread to think of what would happen once we start getting to the DFW metroplex and Chicago, and they remain complacent on having unvisitable downtowns.
abasstreppas

Re: Please SCS, stop placing invisible walls so aggressively. It's taking the fun out of the beautiful map.

#12 Post by abasstreppas » 17 May 2022 19:46

I think the "hidden roads" that has been implemented into the game lately is exactly what you are asking for. It is a road not part of the regular road network (GPS), but it's made accessible with no hidden barrier. With the latest patch they also added a dotted line after discovery, for easy revisits. I guess those hidden roads will be more frequent in the future as they've noticed they are rather popular ;)
Optional Features

#13 Post by Optional Features » 17 May 2022 19:59

It is really weird how much effort they put into the map compared with how much we can actually explore. They could easily double the size of the map by adjusting some of these barricades and swapping out a few assets.
Travismods

#14 Post by Travismods » 17 May 2022 20:41

Its a weird discrepancy between what is created and what they let us explore for sure. I have never seen an open world this aggressive with invisible walls, a driving simulator no less. Not only is the gameplay limited to drive from A -> B then press green button, they literally want to control exactly that we stay on the asphalt and highway at all times, unless we use one of a handful of dedicated dirt roads or one of the many truck stops. Parking lots can just be forgotten because most are closed off. That is just downright bad open world philosophy to have when creating such a large map for driving. It just gets boring fast because one can't be spontaneous within the map and it does not reward curious players, it restricts them. There is nothing more frustrating in open world creation than when developers tell you you can't do that or go there or touch that, especially when we can see whats over there is finished and could be explored and enjoyed. While it makes sense to have invisible walls, it makes little sense to place them as aggressively as SCS likes to do.
Optional Features

#15 Post by Optional Features » 17 May 2022 20:45

The parking lots to me make the least sense. We can't even rp taking a break because a thick, impenetrable gate prevents us from driving into the area. The same is true for hotels: again, hotels are used by truckers all the time!

But not only are they taking out the last hotels with sleep triggers as Cali gets reworked, but they have also put similar walls and gates in front of nearly every hotel on the map. Again, I can't even reach the hotel to pretend I'm sleeping there.

It's incredible.
plykkegaard

#16 Post by plykkegaard » 17 May 2022 20:59

No sleeping spots at the hotels? Stupid
I am glad I have given up gaming, too little time in life atm

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
angrybirdseller

#17 Post by angrybirdseller » 17 May 2022 21:22

Crybabies, I know why developers put those barriers you know as well just looking for something to complain about.
Optional Features

#18 Post by Optional Features » 17 May 2022 21:44

angrybirdseller wrote: 17 May 2022 21:22 Crybabies, I know why developers put those barriers you know as well just looking for something to complain about.
Something to complain about? I bought the whole map, and I'd like to use the whole map lol.

How that is too hard for you to grasp just shows to what extreme lengths the best community ever will go to defend even things that prevent them from enjoying more of the game they purchased.

I can show multiple examples where these walls do not improve the appearance of the map as you say, but literally prevent us from using areas that are clearly usable.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

See that warehouse to the bottom right? Why is it blocked off?

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Travismods

#19 Post by Travismods » 17 May 2022 21:57

Your personal attack aside, angrybird, YES...we all know why invisible barriers as a concept exist. It's a matter of where you place them, how aggressively, not that they shouldn't exist. Are you even trying to understand the post before commenting? There is no logic in placing them to the extreme extent that SCS does, blocking whole completed areas off or blocking off parking lots within accessible cities. The only purpose they serve when using them like that is taking away fun. They can be pushed out a bit to enable more of the map to be explored, as a lot of places blocked off are complete without any map boundaries or issues seen. We don't need to be blocked off at literally the side of the highway when I can see 200 meters dirt road that I can verify with the dev cam has no issues with holes in the map or missing models or textures and is perfectly explorable. It's bad design by SCS. End of story.
Travismods

#20 Post by Travismods » 17 May 2022 23:01

Here are just two examples of residential houses in New Mexico DLC. As you can see they are completely closed off to the player, even though they would be nice to have for roleplaying of living there, maybe parking your truck and trailer outside. But for some reason SCS made sure as always that we can't enter them. I also provided shots of the places from inside them looking out with the dev cam, just to show and prove that there is no issue with being inside. No bugs, no missing textures, errors, things you aren't supposed to see. The only issue present is the gate and the barrier, making these nice ranch houses unusable for the player.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

These are only two examples of literally hundreds of houses across the map closed off to the player by either an invisible wall or like in this case, a gate and barrier. Why not leave a couple of these open so the player can drive up to the houses and at least pretend we are dropping of cargo there? Or maybe even role play it being your house. These are the kinds of things that adds to gameplay - even better would be if they let us purchase lots like these. But having them open feels like a minimum. There is no good reason to have invisible walls and gates on most of all of these modeled houses, driveways and lots. They should be open to the player, to make the world at least seem livable and somewhat immersive. A few of them can be closed for giving the sense of some residents not wanting or expecting visitors. Most however should be completely open. I have removed some barriers on houses in the map editor like these, that are right next to the road, and I can tell you having them open adds a lot of fun to the map. Why don't SCS want these open for us?

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”