Missed Opportunities: What Would You Put Here?

Optional Features

Re: Missed Opportunities: What Would You Put Here?

#31 Post by Optional Features » 13 Jun 2022 03:34

@Viper28 I'm really unsure why SCS messed up the height of this trailer since all of their others are correct. Very strange.

Anyways, more examples. Some of these would make really nice default truck yards, much better than any garage. There are a couple houses in there as well that would be nice rest areas (or single truck garages like mentioned in my garage rework concept).

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

What's weirdest about the convention centers is many of them already have docks, yet SCS didn't use them as delivery spots.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
MLH82

#32 Post by MLH82 » 13 Jun 2022 14:57

I really like the idea of this thread. We could you use more variety of companies and places to go to. Sometimes you run into an isolated prefab where IRL a company would be, far away from the interstate at some rural place. Or a stadium or convention center, they def get cargo's and would make interesting places to got to. Smaller depots with only one or two cargo's so it doesnt unbalance the cargo system. As for that reason, I don't see this happen anytime soon. So if we want it, we need to mod it.

As a modder I've been thinking about this all afternoon and I'm kinda stuck on how to do it. The easiest way would be through mapmodding but maps break easily, are not compatible with other maps and are not allowed on Steam, which is convenient for updates. The other way to do it would be by placing cargo spwanpoints at the 3d models, which is a little more trickier. Combined with a no barrier mod, these depots would become accesible in most cases. But it wouldnt work all the time, the depots could have a gate or fence placed at the map which would still make them unaccesible. In the particular case of the Portland Convention centre, there are no roads leading to it. At least not any connected to the current map. So with both options there are some issues to overcome.

I still want to try to make such a thing as it would be a great add-on to my real companies mod. But before I start, please give me some input. What would you like to see, what do you think would be the best way to go, or do you have better ideas to do it?
-- Mod author: Real companies, gas station & billboards for ATS and ETS2 --
TransTruckingUSA

#33 Post by TransTruckingUSA » 13 Jun 2022 15:04

This is a brilliant idea, i for one could see a use for a drop down menu for the City cargo is being delivered to, giving you the option to select North, South, East, West part of the major cities. I personally think this could help in avoiding mass load flood to the same place.
TransTruckingUSA

WOT // https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4860
“The road is my home, the truck is my castle, and the journey is my life.”
rbsanford

#34 Post by rbsanford » 13 Jun 2022 17:27

Maybe the job listings could only show up to five or so jobs headed to each city, with those jobs randomly selected from the pool of jobs available. If you don't like any of those jobs, you could click the refresh button (which would be added to the other listings and not just the external contracts), and new random selections will appear, provided there are enough in that job pool for them. Cities could have tons of job sites, and they wouldn't overpower smaller cities on the job listings; everybody wins. There would also have to be a new algorithm for job spawnings in the freight market, otherwise you'd be delivering to the big cities almost all the time (which isn't too unrealistic, but would get boring).
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
Optional Features

#35 Post by Optional Features » 13 Jun 2022 17:59

MLH82 wrote: 13 Jun 2022 14:57 I really like the idea of this thread. We could you use more variety of companies and places to go to. Sometimes you run into an isolated prefab where IRL a company would be, far away from the interstate at some rural place. Or a stadium or convention center, they def get cargo's and would make interesting places to got to. Smaller depots with only one or two cargo's so it doesnt unbalance the cargo system. As for that reason, I don't see this happen anytime soon. So if we want it, we need to mod it.

As a modder I've been thinking about this all afternoon and I'm kinda stuck on how to do it. The easiest way would be through mapmodding but maps break easily, are not compatible with other maps and are not allowed on Steam, which is convenient for updates. The other way to do it would be by placing cargo spwanpoints at the 3d models, which is a little more trickier. Combined with a no barrier mod, these depots would become accesible in most cases. But it wouldnt work all the time, the depots could have a gate or fence placed at the map which would still make them unaccesible. In the particular case of the Portland Convention centre, there are no roads leading to it. At least not any connected to the current map. So with both options there are some issues to overcome.

I still want to try to make such a thing as it would be a great add-on to my real companies mod. But before I start, please give me some input. What would you like to see, what do you think would be the best way to go, or do you have better ideas to do it?
Thank you! I'd be happy to share my ideas. The way I picture it in my mind is a flood/snowstorm of repair triggers. Every place that could have a "dock" would get one.

What repair triggers allow is a rudimentary implementation of the node based cargo system several of us are discussing publicly.

Here's how it would work (the components of which I am currently not able to implement due to zero modding skill).

First, a trailer, preferably an SCS one gets three frame options in the store. Frame one is "empty" and has a tare weight identical to the current. Frame two is "half empty" and weighs some value between current and loaded. Frame three is "full", and weighs some value determined to be full. I like to go heavier than SCS default 80k, so let's say (with a truck), at the scale these would weigh 45k, 110k, and 190k respectively. That's how the 50 ton weight mod I'm using would portray them.

Step two, the same trailer gets an addon like the slots for scs bumpers mod for ETS2 that puts a series of accessory nodes on the deck like this.

[ external image ]

This addon would be buyable in store.

Step three, a modder converts a few items from the map into vehicle accessories, positioned so that when bought they show up like so:

[ external image ]

The central slot is for stuff that falls in the middle. Obviously simple straps or chains would have to be included with the models in the store.

Four, a mapper includes repair triggers where a dock would be irl, say in front of one of these convention center docks.

What this does is completely bypass the SCS cargo system so that there are no issues with the cargo market or having to make prefabs. From what I hear, adding a repair trigger is far simpler, causes no issues, and can much more easily be spammed on the map.

What this also does is allow a number of things players want instantly. We could do multi-drops or mixed loads, rigid frame freight hauling, open doors or tarps or slide axles with F7 while "loaded", all things that the game currently doesn't support.

Since we are currently just hauling numbers around, the only difference will be money. A player would arrive at a convention center, back into the dock and position himself over the repair trigger, access the F7 menu to open the doors or slide the tarp let's say, then go into trailer customization, select his load (how many pallets or things he wants), and reverse the process at the drop. It's simple, basically roleplay, and would allow a cargo pool to be easily made and new delivery locations to be easily configured.

This might not be the desired answer (as I haven't thought as hard about what it would look like within the bounds of the existing code), but I think this could work and show what is possible. It would require some imagination on the part of the player, but that imagination would allow for things like deciding where to "drop" pieces of a multi-load.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
MLH82

#36 Post by MLH82 » 13 Jun 2022 18:51

I see where you're going and it would indeed be a huge change! But I would like to point out some issues,so we might find a solution for them.

* repair trigger is indeed an easy thing to add, its just a piece of map between 4 lines which trigger an action. But it would require a huge mapmod which is incompatible with all other maps and most likely breaks with every SCS update. Personally Im not a fan of mapmods as they require a lot of maintenance.

* the way you describe the player doesnt make any money as it never pick-up and deliver cargo according to the game. It would require the players imigination but imho this would be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

* to prevent the point above, the game needs to be told that a repairstrigger could also mean cargo and revenue. In the end, everything is possible of course but this would require a lot of serious coding. This is beyond my modest skiles tbh.

I think as a start we should think of this as 2 separate things. 1; more depots and after that 2; more & different cargos or a renewed cargo system.
-- Mod author: Real companies, gas station & billboards for ATS and ETS2 --
Optional Features

#37 Post by Optional Features » 13 Jun 2022 19:41

MLH82 wrote: 13 Jun 2022 18:51 I see where you're going and it would indeed be a huge change! But I would like to point out some issues,so we might find a solution for them.

* repair trigger is indeed an easy thing to add, its just a piece of map between 4 lines which trigger an action. But it would require a huge mapmod which is incompatible with all other maps and most likely breaks with every SCS update. Personally Im not a fan of mapmods as they require a lot of maintenance.

* the way you describe the player doesnt make any money as it never pick-up and deliver cargo according to the game. It would require the players imigination but imho this would be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

* to prevent the point above, the game needs to be told that a repairstrigger could also mean cargo and revenue. In the end, everything is possible of course but this would require a lot of serious coding. This is beyond my modest skiles tbh.

I think as a start we should think of this as 2 separate things. 1; more depots and after that 2; more & different cargos or a renewed cargo system.
And you would know all this better than I ever will: thanks for considering, though!

My main goal is to raise awareness: what people with skill do with ideas like this and others is something I will just appreciate later!

More depots, truck yards, places to sleep, and places to drive is the goal of this thread: the map is full of opportunity!
Optional Features

#38 Post by Optional Features » 20 Jun 2022 05:38

An iconic location that should have been connected to the map: instead, it's just decor.

[ external image ]

It even has a road connecting it to the usable map as illustrated here.

[ external image ]

A quick look at Google reveals a group of trucks apparently delivering to the dome for some event. It could be a drop: it should be a drop, but instead, it's just another pretty building to look at as we deliver our buldozer to Walbert.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.2374955 ... 384!8i8192

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

I think this pic sums it up best: look at the percentage of the road network that's actually usable (visual roads vs roads on map). In this spot, we have access to like 20% of the available roads.

[ external image ]
harishw8r

#39 Post by harishw8r » 20 Jun 2022 08:45

I don’t think Wallbert accepts bulldozers anymore.
VTXcnME

#40 Post by VTXcnME » 20 Jun 2022 12:13

Edit: Dunno if this one was mentioned...

St George: Road to the repair shop, there is a long warehouse with a gated entry.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”