West Balkans Expansion Discussion

oldmanclippy

Re: West Balkans Expansion Discussion

#491 Post by oldmanclippy » 14 Aug 2022 15:59

tobrago wrote: 14 Aug 2022 15:48 1.
In English, neighborhood
When you write "neighborhood" in Google Translate, it translates "komšiluk" in Serbian. The same applies when I want to translate from Serbian to English komšiluk ---> neighborhood

sub-district
When you write "sub-district" in Google Translate, it translates "pod-okrug" in Serbian. The same applies when I want to translate from Serbian to English pod-okrug ---> sub-district. You must admit that both these examples are different. I don't think there is any need for further explanation. I think we have already choked up the post enough.

And to repeat myself as I wrote to you, it is enough to write "Bogoslovija" in Belgrade or just "Bogoslovija".

@plykkegaard Yes, that is true, and the translation on Wikipedia is also bad, but that is why it cannot be explained to individual forum members.
You haven't explained anything, you've just said "nope this can't be correct". I can't just use Bogoslovija because no one knows what that means. Surely you understand that most of the people here are not Serbian let alone from Belgrade. I need to use a descriptive word in English to tell people what Bogoslovija is. Would the word sub-district make you feel better? Neighborhood in English is pretty much the same thing as sub-district but if it makes you feel better then I'll use it. I don't really care what the Serbian is, I need an English word to describe it. What English word would you use to describe it?

How about "Roundabout in Bogoslovija, Belgrade"? That's still not really sufficient and like I said it's redundant since it's plain as day that it's a roundabout, but at least it implies that Bogoslovija is a place.

These semantic arguments are ridiculous. If neighborhood is a really bad word to use, then fine but at least tell me why. We can't do this every time a location in Serbia pops up and I use a descriptive word that is not 100% to your liking. The translation is not going to be perfect, especially between languages that are as different from one another as English and Serbian. If you think it should be better, then explain and I'll change it, otherwise you just have to deal with it. I will not change it based on you saying "just trust me bro".
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
tobrago

#492 Post by tobrago » 14 Aug 2022 16:10

Are you kidding me? So what do you see in the picture posted by SCS on their blog?
I don't really care what the Serbian is,
I don't really care what the English is, take a look at the picture and you will see what it is. And I wrote that the roundabout in the picture got its name from the "Theological Faculty". What needs to be explained.
Google translator | Greetings and cheers | Keep truckin'

[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]

Discord: tobrago#1504

Everything will be okay in the end, and if it`s not okay, it`s not the end.
Trucker Nik

#493 Post by Trucker Nik » 14 Aug 2022 16:20

Interesting that we haven't received any picture from Kosovo yet, I hope it will come later
AntonioMart

#494 Post by AntonioMart » 14 Aug 2022 16:31

On one of the photos of Google maps, can see the Volkswagen T3, yes, there are still quite a lot of them in Eastern Europe, I think that this model can be added to the AI: bus or van or both.

[ external image ]

And Yougoslav Zastava 750, it will be nice to see this small cute car on the roads in Balkans: :)

[ external image ]
tobrago

#495 Post by tobrago » 14 Aug 2022 16:38

I agree with you, that would be great, and I would suggest two more cars that were current in former Yugoslavia.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

oldmanclippy

#496 Post by oldmanclippy » 14 Aug 2022 16:56

tobrago wrote: 14 Aug 2022 16:10 Are you kidding me? So what do you see in the picture posted by SCS on their blog?
I don't really care what the Serbian is,
I don't really care what the English is, take a look at the picture and you will see what it is. And I wrote that the roundabout in the picture got its name from the "Theological Faculty". What needs to be explained.
Should I say "Roundabout in Bogoslovija, Belgrade" then? Would that be sufficient? Is there no word in the English dictionary that I can use to tell people what Bogoslovija is besides roundabout?

Can you explain this to me? It's the website of the Palilula municipality. This appears to be a listing of businesses that showed up when I searched "Bogoslovija". Which English word can be used to describe Bogoslovija, Karaburma, Višnjička Banja, Krnjača, and Borča? They all seem to represent the same *type* of thing in these listings. https://www.palilula.org.rs/lat/pretrag ... ogoslovija

[ external image ]

I do not mean to come across as rude or confrontational. I am just confused by the different sources saying different things. I am genuinely interested in learning more about Belgrade and I am hoping that your local knowledge can help with that.
tobrago

#497 Post by tobrago » 14 Aug 2022 18:08

Please just write "Bogoslovija" or "roundabout Bogoslovija" and it will be great.

Unfortunately, I can't explain it to you here on the forum because it would take me a lot of time and of course it would lead to the subject being covered. What you have shown on the topic is the municipality of Palilula, and that's why she showed you Borča and Krnjača and so on. In Belgrade, you have municipalities that make up settlements like in the municipality of Palilula Borča, Krnjača, Karaburma and so on. Here is this link, I think it will be useful for you

oldmanclippy

#498 Post by oldmanclippy » 14 Aug 2022 20:47

tobrago wrote: 14 Aug 2022 18:08 Please just write "Bogoslovija" or "roundabout Bogoslovija" and it will be great.

Unfortunately, I can't explain it to you here on the forum because it would take me a lot of time and of course it would lead to the subject being covered. What you have shown on the topic is the municipality of Palilula, and that's why she showed you Borča and Krnjača and so on. In Belgrade, you have municipalities that make up settlements like in the municipality of Palilula Borča, Krnjača, Karaburma and so on. Here is this link, I think it will be useful for you
OK I think I understand now, Bogoslovija is not a municipality or settlement, but rather mainly the roundabout itself as a distinct part of the city. So if you want to describe for example where the orthodox theology building for the University of Belgrade is, you would simply say Bogoslovija. The closest word in English would be more like a square, plaza, crossroad, circus (e.g. Piccadilly Circus in London), but it's still a different situation I would say.

Thank you for the explanation :) I now understand what you mean when you say that neighborhood is not a good translation. I'll refer to it as Bogoslovija Roundabout specifically with a capital R. That is probably the best translation based on what you have said, I think. I got hung up on the question "where is that roundabout located", when the answer is "that roundabout is the location".

Pic 2 Aljaz: Slovenia-Croatia border crossing on E61
Pic 3 Adriatic Sea Team: Bogoslovija Roundabout in Belgrade, Serbia
Pic 4 indrit: A2 north of Vlorë, Albania
Pic 5 trajcevasilev94/oldmanclippy (inconclusive): SH3 west of Lake Ohrid in Albania
Pic 9 Aljaz: D40 east of Rijeka, Croatia
Pic 10 oldmanclippy: Road leading to Zenta Marina in Split, Croatia

So missing 1, 6, 7, 8, and possibly 5.
plykkegaard

#499 Post by plykkegaard » 14 Aug 2022 20:58

Cool

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
tobrago

#500 Post by tobrago » 14 Aug 2022 21:11

Pic 3 Adriatic Sea Team: Bogoslovija Roundabout in Belgrade, Serbia
That's it. ;)

I think that last link I sent you will help you, and I am glad that you understood what I wrote to you. For example, it would be the same if I wrote that Big Ben is in the neighborhood of London or that the street where Big Ben is located is that it is in the neighborhood of London. I don't think that would make sense and I would understand that if it was in the "neighborhood".

Return to “General discussion about the game”