West Balkans Expansion Discussion

oldmanclippy

Re: West Balkans Expansion Discussion

#441 Post by oldmanclippy » 10 Aug 2022 13:05

trajcevasilev94 wrote: 09 Aug 2022 23:23 Hello. New to this forum and this is my first post here!

I think that this image could be located somewhere around here:
https://goo.gl/maps/fZ12MsuE2jqig8rD7

The retaining walls, the curves, and the scenery remind me of this road. Maybe i am wrong, idk.
Nice find, but I think I might like this spot better though, the backdrop is less dramatic just like the picture https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0736,20 ... 312!8i6656 Plus the barriers and mountain models are a better match, IMO.
Last edited by oldmanclippy on 10 Aug 2022 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
tobrago

#442 Post by tobrago » 10 Aug 2022 13:20

It has nothing to do with the picture, on the SCS picture it appears in the background that it is a mine or an open pit.
Google translator | Greetings and cheers | Keep truckin'

[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]

Discord: tobrago#1504

Everything will be okay in the end, and if it`s not okay, it`s not the end.
oldmanclippy

#443 Post by oldmanclippy » 10 Aug 2022 13:21

tobrago wrote: 10 Aug 2022 13:20 It has nothing to do with the picture, on the SCS picture it appears in the background that it is a mine or an open pit.
There is a mine in that direction: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.0736 ... a=!3m1!1e3
tobrago

#444 Post by tobrago » 10 Aug 2022 13:30

Your location shows a construction site, not a mine or an open pit mine.

oldmanclippy

#445 Post by oldmanclippy » 10 Aug 2022 13:35

tobrago wrote: 10 Aug 2022 13:30 Your location shows a construction site, not a mine or an open pit mine.
Is this not a chrome and nickel mine?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/ALB+E ... kgEEbWluZQ

It's not in the correct place compared to the background mountains, but it is in the correct direction and SCS is known to take liberties with rural remote depots.

Not a perfect match for sure, but I don't think it's a bad match.

This curve probably is the best fit for the foreground, the signage, vegetation, and road curves are near matches. But the background isn't a great match, so it's possible that this screenshot could be a hybrid of this curve and the curve I posted previously. That's usually how SCS does windy mountain roads when they can't fit each and every curve, they take creative liberties to mush them all together. I think this curve probably fits the spirit of what they were trying to replicate in the screenshot better: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0692555 ... 312!8i6656 This one also has more curves further down the hill, while the other one I posted is the last curve.
Last edited by oldmanclippy on 10 Aug 2022 13:46, edited 2 times in total.
AlexxxF1

#446 Post by AlexxxF1 » 10 Aug 2022 13:43

JaDaKa wrote: 10 Aug 2022 09:12 It is the Cyrillic alphabet that all slavic countries use (given by the Eastern Roman Empire to them as they had no alphabet).
It could well be for both HoR and Balkan DLC? Or maybe they are using HoR companies as they were ready to save time.
yes, in ancient times the Slavs were pagans and used runes to communicate with each other, they had their own alphabet, otherwise how would they communicate with each other.
what they wrote on birch bark - Birch bark letters - yes, very few of them have survived to this day in this harsh climate.
Slavic writing was created in the 9th century, in 863. The alphabet created by Cyril and Methodius was named "Cyrillic" in honor of Cyril. on the border of Bulgaria and Greece,where they lived.
yep, every Cyrillic letter comes from a letter in the Greek alphabet.
Old Church Slavonic alphabet was combined with the Greek alphabet, and this is how the Cyrillic alphabet appeared.
even the word "Russia" for example came from the Greek-Byzantine name of Rus.
first Old Church Slavonic alphabet (44 letters)
[ external image ]
modern Cyrillic alphabet (33 letters)
[ external image ]

With the adoption of Orthodoxy, Cyrillic was also adopted from Byzantium, from the Eastern Roman Empire.
[ external image ]
countries where the Cyrillic alphabet was or is used
[ external image ]
Last edited by AlexxxF1 on 10 Aug 2022 13:57, edited 2 times in total.
tobrago

#447 Post by tobrago » 10 Aug 2022 13:48

Yes, they have freedom, but they take care of landscapes and backgrounds.

oldmanclippy

#448 Post by oldmanclippy » 10 Aug 2022 13:52

I'll mark it as inconclusive on the map for now, agreed that they're usually more accurate. But here we do have accurate background and accurate foreground, just in two locations :lol:

There is also a gas station visible in the correct place in the Instagram video, so the evidence is mounting that it could be the right area: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pengu ... 20.5911677

Albania has proven to be tricky, all 3 of the inconclusive locations on the map are possibly in Albania lol

Screenshot 6 I would think we'd be able to get. We just need someone who can recognize those two distinct tall structures in the right side of the background.

[ external image ]
JaDaKa

#449 Post by JaDaKa » 10 Aug 2022 14:18

AlexxxF1 wrote: 10 Aug 2022 13:43 yes, in ancient times the Slavs were pagans and used runes to communicate with each other, they had their own alphabet, otherwise how would they communicate with each other.
They obviously had a language just not a written form just like countless other ethnicities and cultures.
Not sure they had a runic/hieroglyphic writing form but the Cyrillic is their first alphabet.
AlexxxF1 wrote: 10 Aug 2022 13:43 With the adoption of Orthodoxy, Cyrillic was also adopted from Byzantium, from the Eastern Roman Empire.
Well Cyrillic wasn't adopted by the ERE. They were using and speaking Greek as they were mainly Greeks.

Both the Cyrillic and the Latin alphabets are its derivatives.

It had been copied by the Romans (Etruscans and other Latin ethnicities) from the Greek colonies (specifically that of Cumae) that had been established in South Italy before the founding of Rome.

@jackalnxt Not at all everything is basic knowledge. A simple search can show it.
Won't get into a conversation to counterargue nationalistic controversional claims. :roll:
oldmanclippy

#450 Post by oldmanclippy » 10 Aug 2022 14:54

@JaDaKa Cyrillic was actually the second alphabet/script used to write down the first written slavic language, (known as Old Church Slavonic in English). The Glagolitic alphabet was used first, but then Cyrillic slowly replaced it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Church_Slavonic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glagolitic_script

Glagolitic is the alphabet/script that Cyril created, while Cyrillic was created by his followers in later years as a hybrid between the Greek and Glagolitic scripts. @AlexxxF1 mostly has it right, except that Cyril did not create Cyrillic. But he is a very influential figure whose work on Glagolitic paved the way for Cyrillic.

In fact, Glagolitic was created precisely because the local Slavic language had words that just couldn't be expressed properly using Greek script. So while Cyrillic undoubtedly has roots in Greek, its other half is much more Slavic in nature. Although Glagolitic clearly uses Greek as a foundation as well. It's a hybrid language, like all languages.
Last edited by oldmanclippy on 10 Aug 2022 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion about the game”