West Balkans Expansion Discussion

jackalnxt

Re: West Balkans Expansion Discussion

#451 Post by jackalnxt » 10 Aug 2022 15:19

@JaDaKa me pointing out that you are wrong is hardly a 'nationalistic controversial claim'. Feel free to do some aditional reading when you are done with the above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_script
oldmanclippy

#452 Post by oldmanclippy » 10 Aug 2022 15:28

I don't even know which point you two are arguing about

I am excited to get sort of lost in BiH, Serbia, and North Macedonia. From what I can tell, Montenegro uses only Latin on road signs, while BiH, Serbia, and N.Macedonia use both Cyrillic and Latin (please correct me if that's wrong), so while it won't be quite as confusing to read signs there compared to Russia (which I enjoy driving in precisely because the road signs make me feel very lost, by the time I've read the Cyrillic phonetically I've missed my exit :lol:), I still do sometimes have trouble reading signs in Bulgaria at a glance which is the only country we currently have with two scripts on road signs apart from the few places in Russia where they use both.
Last edited by oldmanclippy on 10 Aug 2022 16:23, edited 4 times in total.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
JaDaKa

#453 Post by JaDaKa » 10 Aug 2022 16:20

I stopped engaging there is nothing to argue about. I just made a comment that many slavic countries use the cyrillic alphabet which was given to them by ERE and I woke up someone's chauvinistic instincts and insecurities.

Anyway, I am really pleased with what I see from the screenshots. It looks like it is going to be my favourite region and DLC surpassing Scandinavia.
oldmanclippy

#454 Post by oldmanclippy » 10 Aug 2022 16:45

This is definitely the DLC I've been the most excited for in ETS2 or ATS in a while. It's got cultural and linguistic variety unlike any other DLC we have ever seen or will ever see from SCS. Geographic variety too, with wide open farmlands in the northeast, dramatic mountains along the spine of the region, Austria-like alps in the northwest, coastal plains in the south, etc. Important and historic cities. Perhaps most crucially a link from good quality mapping in Austria (and Italy via ferry) to Road to the Black Sea without having to go through outdated Hungary. Yes it's less realistic to go through Serbia from Austria or through any country but Greece from Italy, but at least I won't have to see Going East mapping quality.

Screenshots look pretty good so far. It's hard to judge properly at this early stage, but everything we've seen seems to be capturing the vibe well. I think it's gonna come down to whether or not they can find a way to make the road network pleasant to traverse given the circumstances. Road to the Black Sea's biggest flaw was ditching some important motorways in favor of local roads. Iberia's biggest flaw was not including enough local roads. West Balkans can be their chance to find a good balance, which we haven't seen from ETS2 (besides the Austria rework) since Beyond the Baltic Sea.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
JaDaKa

#455 Post by JaDaKa » 10 Aug 2022 17:39

I agree with everything you are mentioning..

Landscape is so varied and interesting, there is more detail given to capture the decay in the quality of some small roads. A thing that SCS has improved at over the years.

Also your points about Road to Black Sea and Iberia are quite accurate. Iberia was done really nicely but for that reason I couldn't enjoy it as much.
Glubschiii

#456 Post by Glubschiii » 10 Aug 2022 19:32

Does somebody know sth to the pictures 1, 6, 8?
MACX8

#457 Post by MACX8 » 10 Aug 2022 19:59

@oldmanclippy
u are so right I'm still so sad for Iberia it's amazing DLC, but miss too much local roads, looks like have too many holes.
I use ( Google Translate ) For translation to English
SCANIA-S best Truck ever in a Both game
Adriatic Sea Team

#458 Post by Adriatic Sea Team » 10 Aug 2022 21:21

I think that picture number 6 is somewhere from Zlatibor mountain region.
Vinnie Terranova

#459 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 11 Aug 2022 07:25

oldmanclippy wrote: 10 Aug 2022 16:45Perhaps most crucially a link from good quality mapping in Austria (and Italy via ferry) to Road to the Black Sea without having to go through outdated Hungary. Yes it's less realistic to go through Serbia from Austria or through any country but Greece from Italy, but at least I won't have to see Going East mapping quality.
This makes me wonder about the next rework: I expect Switzerland is now worked on, but what about the area after Switzerland? Normally I would say the Benelux, because it is also in the base map, and it also has a connection to the UK which should be reworked too. But with the upcoming West Balkans DLC we will have a huge quality gap in central Europe, due to the Going East DLC. So, I wouldn't be too surprised if after Switzerland the Going East DLC is reworked, despite it being a DLC and not part of the base map.
Evil_Jason

#460 Post by Evil_Jason » 11 Aug 2022 09:12

Going East DLC might become our first DLC to be reworked but only after the entire Base Map has been reworked.

So BeNeLux could be a possibility. And then UK. Afterwards we could get the Ireland DLC.

Of course it would be nice to get a bit more than only Ireland bit I doubt Iceland would be added since it is quite a distance. Are there even truck ferries between Iceland and Europe?
If something is not round, it has then edges or it is broken.

Return to “General discussion about the game”