A 1:1 Map Scale Is Feasible, But Not Manually

VirtualTruckTravels

Re: A 1:1 Map Scale Is Feasible, But Not Manually

#11 Post by VirtualTruckTravels » 12 Jun 2022 03:07

seriousmods wrote: 11 Jun 2022 06:54
VirtualTruckTravels wrote: 08 Jun 2022 16:02 1:1 maps are feasible in small scale, like grand utopia because its fictional and are filled with eye candy, the real world not that much eye candy on a 9 hours trip.
It totally depends on the place. I drove over 500 miles today and during my trip saw several lakes, a couple large peaks, climbed just under 5k feet twice, and experienced a weather swing of more than 30 degrees from start to finish.

The reason maps in this game are boring isn't scale: it's interactivity. If we could do more, things would be far more interesting and the need for constant map expansions would be somewhat reduced.
I have not said picturesque trips dosent exist, it simply not the majority of trips around the world, and why do you bring interactivity into this discussion? There is not much interactivity going down the same highway for 6 hours irl, maybe you chance podcast but nothing Else.
Optional Features

#12 Post by Optional Features » 12 Jun 2022 04:30

VirtualTruckTravels wrote: 12 Jun 2022 03:07 I have not said picturesque trips dosent exist, it simply not the majority of trips around the world, and why do you bring interactivity into this discussion? There is not much interactivity going down the same highway for 6 hours irl, maybe you chance podcast but nothing Else.
You drive for 6 hours without taking a break?
SabR

#13 Post by SabR » 12 Jun 2022 05:28

rookie31st wrote: 11 Jun 2022 20:47 Most negative comments seem to come from people who prefer the long hauls and are stuck in a long-haul mentality..... failing to see the benefits of a limited 1:1 environment for those enjoying local deliveries or living in smaller countries. It could be just a 12x12 miles map and be diverse enough to offer hundreds of hours of driving and exploration, but obviously, no hours-long highway cruising which is a central feature of the American Truck Simulator.
You got my vote! Lets keep long hauls to the 1:20 scale & instead of thinking of the whole US or Europe or even a country in 1:1 scale, why not only a city? It'd be nice to have a city truck sim. I had wish-listed it here. Delivering to local businesses in those cute, small rigids like DAF CF & Volvo FM & their American counterparts. In regards to the map, lets say about 50 mappers with a 12-month window might able to pull off a small busy city map? But to depict a busy city, SCS would need to create a game engine to handle that kind of a load.

Any of you recall the Hungary map at 1:3/1:5 scale? What was the performance like? I didn't had a good PC back then to enjoy a smooth experience but it was a beautiful map. Kudos to the author.
plykkegaard

#14 Post by plykkegaard » 12 Jun 2022 06:06

Is the rotterdam project around? Worth a look if youvare into this

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
SabR

#15 Post by SabR » 12 Jun 2022 06:26

Thanks but seems like its not
Going through the comments of the respective threads & blog, it is exactly why a map of such scale fails in a game that is progressing, evolving. Too huge to maintain for a handful of modders.
VirtualTruckTravels

#16 Post by VirtualTruckTravels » 12 Jun 2022 15:02

seriousmods wrote: 12 Jun 2022 04:30
VirtualTruckTravels wrote: 12 Jun 2022 03:07 I have not said picturesque trips dosent exist, it simply not the majority of trips around the world, and why do you bring interactivity into this discussion? There is not much interactivity going down the same highway for 6 hours irl, maybe you chance podcast but nothing Else.
You drive for 6 hours without taking a break?
What has this to do with this discussion?
Trucker Nik

#18 Post by Trucker Nik » 23 Jun 2022 11:16

Imagine that a 1: 1 scale would really exist in ETS2 and ATS, that would mean mapping DLC ​​to ETS2 once every 10 years, and to ATS once every 5 years, a reworking of Germany and Austria would not even exist, and the contract would last the same long in reality as in the game, if you had, for example, a contract of 5000 km, and it would last 150 game hours, then you would go to it at the same time in reality
Shiva

#19 Post by Shiva » 30 Jun 2022 11:35

That sounds more as a real job.
Driving a truck remotely.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Beardwing

#20 Post by Beardwing » 10 Jul 2022 08:38

It's possible with proc gen and conversion algorithms that've been around since the Sim Copter days (which was still janky when it came to 1:1 terrain mapping or representing structures like overpasses properly), even Google has something similar in production although its likely years away from a decent product. But nothing would be able to run it consumer-wise. Streaming is a possibility but that tech's nowhere near where it should be thanks to ISPs dragging their feet and impeding progression. MSFS isn't a good example as most of the scenery is painted on, save a few landmarks or traffic, and even with the best rig it's tough running that maxed out.

Aside from that, even if tech finally caught up it just isn't engaging or unique gameplay, and I say that as someone who really enjoys doing absolutely nothing but traveling for hours on end in games like MSFS, NMS or ED. Those games can get away with it due to assist features such as autopilot, ship summoning or just being able to point your vessel in the desired direction before you get up to eat or do whatever. And there's really no need to travel on the ground in either of those games to accomplish any of their goals.

I'd still love to see proper 1:1 representation in gaming but even for just a metropolitan area we're still a quite a few years and generations of tech away.
Alcohaulin' LLC - Phoenix, AZ
Specs: Lenovo Legion w/ Win 11 Pro 64-bit, i9-13900KF (32 CPUs), RTX 4080 16GB, 32GB RAM & Oculus Quest 2 via Air Link

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”