German Cities Rework Discussion (Post-Austria)

Which German cities should be reworked next? (Pick 4)

Berlin
18%
Bremen
13%
Dresden
8%
Kassel
8%
Leipzig
6%
Magdeburg
4%
Mannheim
12%
München
21%
Osnabrück
9%

Total votes: 518

oldmanclippy

Re: German Cities Rework Discussion (Post-Austria)

#81 Post by oldmanclippy » 12 Sep 2022 01:59

I agree in theory, but the roads around Hamburg were part of 1.32 and at that point I believe the rework was only being done by Mandelsoft, so I get why that wasn't a priority at the time.

[ external image ]
headquartered in Denver [ external image ] and Brussels [ external image ]
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | German Cities
prediction maps: Greece+Nordic Horizons | Nebraska+Arkansas+Missouri
Aziz

#82 Post by Aziz » 12 Sep 2022 08:19

It's not exactly about cities but... If anyone from the team reads that, can I kindly ask for a service station on the middle to southern part of Autobahn 7? If someone's going from, say, Erfurt to Austria, there's a VERY long stretch of road without any stops. There's nowhere to sleep unless you take a detour (which shouldn't happen for such a basic needs). It's the same story, though on smaller scale, with AB 5 and 6.
55sixxx

#83 Post by 55sixxx » 13 Sep 2022 21:05

Rhine-Ruhr gets my vote... Mainly because TMP just f'd up WoTR players by reworking the entire city and replacing all the original companies. I hope it comes with 1.46, I'm very excited to see all their work be thrown down the dumpster.
ninjawarrior1x3

#84 Post by ninjawarrior1x3 » 17 Sep 2022 14:39

I'm not going to say "Do the Rhine-Ruhr straight away." because it's going to take many months to rebuild a large densely populated area of 4 (mabye 5?) of Germany's 10 largest cities and certainly the most important industrial area of Germany.
Instead, I'd say areas in the south closer to the Austria and Switzerland reworks (such as Stuttgart, Munich and Mannheim). Perhaps once the Benelux rebuild is in full swing, then that would be prime time for the Rhein-Ruhr area to get rebuilt too (along with perhaps Frankfurt, Osnabrück* and Bremen*).
Additionally, I would also like to see the area west of Frankfurt be developed as there is a lack of connections through that area. Perhaps with a few major roads (such as the A3, A48, A1 and A6) as well as MABYE 1 or 2 new small dot cities (e.g. Saarbrücken) and perhaps some scenic towns (mabye Trier or Kaiserslautern?). Of course, this is just my suggestion and I don't work for SCS so I'm not sure if they will do that!
I believe that Berlin should be kept until last (or close to last) for 2 reasons:
1. It's located close to the Polish border, which would seem like a good preparation for a rework of Going East
2. It's the capital city of Germany, so a rebuild here will create a lot of hype which would keep people interested in the city rebuilds.

*- Osnabrück and Bremen also seem like good choices at the moment due to the proximity of recently rebuilt (Hanover) or added (Krone factory) areas.
Last edited by ninjawarrior1x3 on 17 Sep 2022 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
Thijmen98

#85 Post by Thijmen98 » 20 Sep 2022 07:52

I am hoping for a rework of the Ruhr area, but maybe for that it would be good to first rebuild the Netherlands and Belgium, to make that region connect better as it is full of roads there. Maybe it would be good to start with cities not too close to the borders, or München as Austria is already done, or Stuttgart with respect to Switzerland being updated now.

Apart from that, I know it is a bit off topic, but I am wondering if all those fictional country roads will be rebuild in either actual German country roads or just highways. Germany is full of highways all over the country so I wouldn't mind if they put even more of them, as long as they are not fictional. It would give a better representation of the country in my opinion. And hopefully actual country roads can get some scenery towns.
Sporcle city quizzes:
American Truck Simulator
Euro Truck Simulator 2

World of Trucks:
World of Trucks
Some newbie driver

#86 Post by Some newbie driver » 20 Sep 2022 10:24

Thijmen98 wrote: 20 Sep 2022 07:52I am hoping for a rework of the Ruhr area, but maybe for that it would be good to first rebuild the Netherlands and Belgium
Considering the pace of reworks of Austria, then Hannover and "soon" Switzerland; I would bet they have 2 separate work lines actually. One with a few people reworking countries an probably a single person doing cities in parallel.
oldmanclippy

#87 Post by oldmanclippy » 20 Sep 2022 13:18

Thijmen98 wrote: 20 Sep 2022 07:52 Apart from that, I know it is a bit off topic, but I am wondering if all those fictional country roads will be rebuild in either actual German country roads or just highways. Germany is full of highways all over the country so I wouldn't mind if they put even more of them, as long as they are not fictional. It would give a better representation of the country in my opinion. And hopefully actual country roads can get some scenery towns.
In all honesty, I think Germany will need a complete rework gradually over time in addition to the cities. It will stand out like a sore thumb because of the fictional roads you mentioned, but also because there are 0 scenic towns besides ones that lead directly to the Austria rework. It's a completely different format from the rest of the map. I think what we'll see is that the roads surrounding each city will get refreshed as the cities come (like what we saw with Hannover and its surrounding road network), so that by the time all the cities are reworked there won't be as much work to do to just replace all the fictional roads and add some scenic towns. It will be a lot, but not as much as if they just scrapped Germany and redid everything fully a second time.

Now, I don't think we should *ever* expect Germany to be Austria-level quality and accuracy (there will naturally be parts of the ETS2 base map that will feel like a base map, rather than Austria which feels like a DLC, we've been completely spoiled on that front), but I do think we can expect it to improve from where it's at. Germany, eastern France, and parts of northern Italy I think will feel the most "base-map-y" by the time all the base map reworks are completed, while Austria, Switzerland, Benelux, UK, western Poland, western+central Czechia, and the Bratislava area will all feel more like DLC quality.
Last edited by oldmanclippy on 22 Sep 2022 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
Shiva

#88 Post by Shiva » 21 Sep 2022 22:00

I think some of the smaller roads could use a bit more love, similar to what the Autobahns got.
Scenic towns added, as oldmanclippy wrote.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Some newbie driver

#89 Post by Some newbie driver » 22 Sep 2022 10:55

When they start Germany rework the aim of it was exclusively to get rid of all the old and unrealistic (when not directly criminal) road interchanges that plagued highways. Everything else was mostly collateral. That's why secondary roads neither cities got so much attention.

They have changed the mindset later, as show the other rebuilds they have done in ETS2 and ATS. But to keep rebuilding Germany roads while other parts of the game keep showing their age is nonsense. That's the toll to pay for being the first; we could enjoy its rework sooner, thus the rework was done without so much changes. It's the same that with everything else: the sooner we get some content, the lower its quality due the pass of time and how they evolve their process.

Regards
oldmanclippy

#90 Post by oldmanclippy » 03 Oct 2022 21:40

I've been doing a bit of research here and there and here's a handful of depots I'm interested to potentially see come in the reworks:

Berlin:
Mercedes-Benz or Tesla factory, take your pick.

Bremen:
I think this could be an opportunity to get an ATS company in Germany, either the Annheuzer-Bush brewery as a USBB (or maybe a rebranded DEBB) or the Kellog's plant as a Global Mills (it does say Global after all).

Dortmund:
Big IKA Bohag distribution center: https://www.google.com/maps/place/IKEA+ ... !4d7.41877

Dresden:
An interesting quarry in the middle of Freital: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lehmg ... 13.6480692

Erfurt:
If SCS wants to provide an in-joke to all the sunflower fields that litter(ed) the base map, they could include a Sunflower farm near Erfurt :lol: But seriously, agriculture in general is underrepresented in ETS2 and I think the Germany rework would be a good place to start addressing that.

Hamburg:
Obviously the port is the big one, but the Airbus facility is one I'd love to get. We have Darwing in ATS but we don't have any airplane factories in ETS2. They could call it Skyship or something.

Mannheim:
BASF facility in Ludwigshafen, which is the largest chemical complex in the world.

Munich:
MAN factory, labeled as such. Gotta get truck factories in when they can. I imagine it's gotta be something they at least brought up with MAN as a possibility.

One of the three remaining nuclear plants could be added as a small dot city like in Vive la France. I know nuclear energy is controversial in Germany but I think it will probably be here to stay due to their energy crisis. If they are assigned to an existing city instead, Isar would go to Munich, Neckarwestheim would go to Stuttgart, and Emsland would go to Osnabruck. But I think a small dot city would make more sense. Wolfsburg could potentially be another new small dot city for the Volkswagen factory, which is one of the largest manufacturing facilities in the world.

Return to “General discussion about the game”