ATS 1.45 Discussion

Optional Features

Re: ATS 1.45 Open Beta Discussion

#241 Post by Optional Features » 29 Jun 2022 00:15

flight50 wrote: 29 Jun 2022 00:05 I honestly don't understand how one can expect to feel weight of sloshing or even wind in a video game that is played on standard pc's in our homes. That level of physics is far beyond what the game is currently about. This is a $20 game that happen to make some waves, not a professional sim. Call it defending SCS if you wish but sometimes just aren't practical for the current mode of game play. Hardcore perhaps if that every comes. I'm not saying don't add it because I can careless, but what's the valve in it for 90% of players? How do you feel weight with a keyboard or controller?

The complaints would still come that feedback isn't realistic. Its a keyboard/mouse/gamepad, how could you. A rumble or vibration does not equal real life physics or media in a semi. There are simplier things that can get implement that we can feel much better impact than something this complicated to duplicate. Not everything in real life translates.
How can you feel wind or weight in a flight sim? How can you feel weight in a train sim? How can you feel weight in farming sim? Things like wind are typically seen in a visual effect: wind would be curtains billowing on a trailer or flaps flying in the breeze, antennas waving, the cab (if it had a suspsension) shaking, trees and grass waving, powerlines bouncing, trash blowing, etc.

Weight is felt in acceleration and deceleration. The sloshing effect that I describe would be felt best in a loss of brake strength momentarily. The player would hit the brakes, notice the truck picked up a tiny bit of speed again, and then slowed down once more. Like a lurch more than anything. Honestly, we should have somewhat of a lurching effect already when coming to a hard stop. The truck should rebound a bit when it actually stops.

But overall, we have to stop acting like things are impossible. Nothing is impossible if a group of skilled people set their mind to it. We took men to the moon using less computing power than each of us has in a smartphone. SCS could easily make a simulated wind or sloshing effect if they wanted to.
55sixxx

#242 Post by 55sixxx » 29 Jun 2022 00:20

@flight50 Don't even waste your time man. Every single reply that I see from that particular user, is a complain about how something in ATS is not realistic and needs improving or it's missing something causing ATS to feel way less realistic. By they way he writes things, ATS is already dead and SCS is on it's way to bankruptcy.

And from what I've been reading in this forum lately, people want a 100% realism focused game, carrying in all the nuisances of being a real truck driver... I would say we're not so far away from seeing someone write that we need an eating feature and also the ability of getting a diarrhea if you eat sketchy tacos from a street cart.

Would be easier if they make real trucks sync to our PC's via bluetooth turning ATS into a platform where real truckers could work from home.
Optional Features

#243 Post by Optional Features » 29 Jun 2022 00:25

55sixxx wrote: 29 Jun 2022 00:20 @flight50 Every single reply that I see from that particular user, is a complain about how something in ATS is not realistic and needs improving or it's missing something causing ATS to feel way less realistic.
Is it realistic, though? Does it need improvement? Could it become more realistic by way of improvement?
busted85

#244 Post by busted85 » 29 Jun 2022 00:56

supersobes wrote: 28 Jun 2022 21:53
danbywinby wrote: 28 Jun 2022 20:14 Where are these deliverable fuel stations located?
The one that I was delivering to was the truck stop in Baker City, Oregon off I-84.
I just delivered to the smaller truck stop in Lamar, Co from Ogden, UT
JackBurton

#245 Post by JackBurton » 29 Jun 2022 02:57

Maybe an easy solution would be for the game to automatically turn down trailer stability whenever you are pulling a full tanker. That would certainly be easy to implement, even if it's not a perfect simulation.

Of course, players can always do it themselves, but that takes you out of the game a bit.

EDIT: I'm not sure what the trailer stability slider really does. Does it simply raise the center of mass? Ideally SCS could model a center of mass for a full tanker as a mass on a damped spring capable of oscillating forward and back as well as left and right. That would better approximate the intended behavior. I assume all trailers have a fixed center of mass that maybe is raised once the trailer is loaded. Does anyone know for sure?
Last edited by JackBurton on 29 Jun 2022 03:09, edited 2 times in total.
Optional Features

#246 Post by Optional Features » 29 Jun 2022 03:05

JackBurton wrote: 29 Jun 2022 02:57 Maybe an easy solution would be for the game to automatically turn down trailer stability whenever you are pulling a full tanker. That would certainly be easy to implement, even if it's not a perfect simulation.

Of course, players can always do it themselves, but that takes you out of the game a bit.
Yeah, that would be one way for sure, and a good way. Simple is always better. Using existing game code is better. But there should be a noticeable difference in handling between trailer types and configurations (a tall trailer should be more top heavy by default and with no setting adjustments than a lowboy with a short load). And imo there should be a much more significant feeling of weight when loaded, but that's another topic entirely.
Last edited by Optional Features on 29 Jun 2022 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
angrybirdseller

#247 Post by angrybirdseller » 29 Jun 2022 03:15

You won't see that on conputer screen diffrence between hauling flammable liquids to milk and dry cargo. Those are subtle differences won't necessarily easily transfer to computer.
Texshi

#248 Post by Texshi » 29 Jun 2022 07:45

Fuel tankers are great but I really wish SCS would've just added entirely new companies along with them. Tankers need racks and dedicated locations or just copy/paste Gallon Oil prefabs, everywhere until they can get to it? Not a huge deal just a minor thing I've noticed.

Also when you deliver fuel to some cities I'd expect to reload in the same city.. like Denver to Lamar? Lamar has nothing available for tankers afterward, Could be like Fresno? Or was it Bakersfield? With the Gallon Oil refinery waaay out of town but still located within city limits.
For SCS P389/P589 Tuning Pack Part Suggestions Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/eaEjKr9
Peterbilt 379 / 389 Tuning Example Inspirations Photo Album - https://imgur.com/a/DDGTDPW

Peterbilt forever!
Optional Features

#249 Post by Optional Features » 29 Jun 2022 08:35

Texshi wrote: 29 Jun 2022 07:45 Fuel tankers are great but I really wish SCS would've just added entirely new companies along with them. Tankers need racks and dedicated locations or just copy/paste Gallon Oil prefabs, everywhere until they can get to it? Not a huge deal just a minor thing I've noticed.
I think we have the loading racks in game already? They just aren't used for pickups.
Knightrider

#250 Post by Knightrider » 29 Jun 2022 08:54

Fellow map explorers:

I was at 100% before 1.45, and within the update I discovered the followed places:

- entirety of CODY/WY
- southern of alamogordo/NM,
- new weight station east of grangeville/ID,
- small stretch of a rest area/gas station entering Salmon/ID.
- Voltison prefab at Sacramento

After found all those, still 99,99% atm. My map discovering mod is not showing me anything else apart from unacessible dots in texas/montana. IS there anything else in the map I might be missing?
Best Regards.

Hosting a dedicated server for ETS 2/ATS, with optional mods support.

Return to “General discussion about the game”