ATS 1.45 Discussion

Tristman

Re: ATS 1.45 Open Beta Discussion

#221 Post by Tristman » 28 Jun 2022 20:35

@SouthernMan You might be right, but this point has been brought up a million times already, and the conversation always spirals off into nowhere. :)
SouthernMan

#222 Post by SouthernMan » 28 Jun 2022 20:36

@Tristman Cool.
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
Optional Features

#223 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 20:39

There was one in Hilt, but it was removed with the California rework.

I assume the others will be removed with the upcoming reworks as well.
VTXcnME

#224 Post by VTXcnME » 28 Jun 2022 20:45

SouthernMan wrote: 28 Jun 2022 20:20 @flight50 But this, in my opinion, is only due to the fact that SCS has no other company as competition at its level. It's not that they really take time to get things done, it's that they're not worried about getting things out so fast when there's no one competing with them. They can release things faster with ease, but they don't see it as an advantage as they are alone in this business with no one who can release something better than theirs. Anyway... it's my opinion, and I could be wrong.
It 100% has to do with competition. When you're the only game in town (Ha, a layered dad joke) you have the luxury of doing whatever you want on whatever time table you want.

No sense complaining about it, as there's literally nothing to be done. Unless you wanna open your own studio and release a game. On this front, it absolutely is what it is.
danbywinby

#225 Post by danbywinby » 28 Jun 2022 20:57

I was afraid that it would turn out that the deliverable fuel stations are in the old parts of the map and so are an old feature that is slowly being removed.
Optional Features

#226 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 20:59

@VTXcnME Absolutely. What SCS mastered was getting brands to sign on to their project and making maps that are generally representative of an area. At this point, they have a massive lead on anyone that wants to compete until that company was to produce a game using an AI-produced map (unlikely to be high quality even with current tech).

The problem is that the SCS team are not truck people. They are not logistics people. They are not industry people. And most importantly, they are not Americans. There are many things in the game that point these out (like the lack of billboards in most of the map or how they bury truck dealers inside a city when the real life counterpart is right on a freeway exit), but until someone competent offers a better product (or the community puts a ton of pressure on them), nothing will change.

Stuff like the fuel tankers are very nice as additional eye candy for the game, but what is the difference between a hopper, a van, a tanker, a dry bulk, and a sliding tarp flatbed in this game? All haul invisible cargo. All back up to docks (or pull into spaces). All have no opening anything (hatches, hose compartments, doors, tarps, toolboxes, etc). And all have no suspension effect, handle the same, make almost no sounds, and just follow a truck around the map as the driver discovers new scenic viewpoints.

The fact we're hoping we can deliver to gas stations (and likely won't be able to) or hoping that we'll get to use the loading racks SCS has built is proof that the game isn't designed to even mimic a realistic trucking experience. These things are easy to implement, and in most cases half done. Yet they aren't even a thought. In a dreamworld, the new fuel tankers would feel different when loaded: there would be a sloshing effect when stopping, and they would require cornering more slowly. But that would make it impossible for even some of the community managers to play.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Last edited by Optional Features on 28 Jun 2022 21:01, edited 2 times in total.
Optional Features

#227 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 21:00

danbywinby wrote: 28 Jun 2022 20:57 I was afraid that it would turn out that the deliverable fuel stations are in the old parts of the map and so are an old feature that is slowly being removed.
Same with hotels. We used to be able to sleep at hotels in original California. New maps have more hotels than ever, but all of them are behind closed gates, invisible walls, and other barricades. I'm not sure what's going on: the map keeps getting prettier, but less functional.
jarryed

#228 Post by jarryed » 28 Jun 2022 21:17

seriousmods wrote: 28 Jun 2022 20:59 there would be a sloshing effect when stopping
Most tank trailers have baffles inside the tank that stop the surge effect. These baffles will separate the tank into sections in addition. So no...sloshing effect does not need to be felt or implemented.

ETA: Hotels need deliveries so I will agree there. Linens, cleaning supplies, paper products, and more. Hospitals which are in the newer areas also need truck service. Food, linens, medical equipment, building supplies(model an addition being built), medical supplies, and more. There is lots of things that can be added and this falls under the ICC's that Flight50 is talking about.
Last edited by jarryed on 28 Jun 2022 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
Optional Features

#229 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 21:22

jarryed wrote: 28 Jun 2022 21:17 Most tank trailers have baffles inside the tank that stop the surge effect. These baffles will separate the tank into sections in addition. So no...sloshing effect does not need to be felt or implemented.
So a fuel tanker handles the exact same as a van trailer full of pallets?
jarryed

#230 Post by jarryed » 28 Jun 2022 21:25

Stop trying to read between the lines and fitting something that was never intended into your argument so you can feel better about yourself.....it is annoying, and rather ignorant.

But anyway.....sloshing or surge will be minimal with baffles. It is why they were invented and installed into tankers.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."

Return to “General discussion about the game”