ATS 1.45 Discussion

Optional Features

Re: ATS 1.45 Open Beta Discussion

#231 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 21:31

jarryed wrote: 28 Jun 2022 21:25 Stop trying to read between the lines and fitting something that was never intended into your argument so you can feel better about yourself.....it is annoying, and rather ignorant.

But anyway.....sloshing or surge will be minimal with baffles. It is why they were invented and installed into tankers.
The only thing that is annoying is people constantly trying to defend SCS lol. There is a significant different in handling between a tanker and a van trailer or a hopper. There are special training programs for tanker drivers, specifically centering around the concept of rollovers. Fluids move, even with baffles. Do baffles help? Yes. Bulkheads also help. But it doesn't turn a liquid into a solid.

This is from a CDL training program's tanker endorsement page.

[ external image ]

This a video describing similar.

Furthermore, several types of tankers represented in the game have no baffles. Food grade tankers (which SCS added a few patches ago) have no baffles. Chemical tankers also have no baffles.

You can read about it here:

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truck ... 319/page-2
Last edited by Optional Features on 28 Jun 2022 21:45, edited 3 times in total.
The Dude

#232 Post by The Dude » 28 Jun 2022 21:31

"So a fuel tanker handles the exact same as a van trailer full of pallets?"

No it does not, I drove a tanker back in the 80's, doesn't matter if the tank has baffles or not, you feel the weight shift when driving. That's why you have to have a tanker endorsement to drive one. Some dry van drivers sometimes need a tanker endorsement to haul wet containers, the more endorsements you have the better.
Last edited by The Dude on 28 Jun 2022 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
"Gamers Are Not Beta Testers"
SouthernMan

#233 Post by SouthernMan » 28 Jun 2022 21:32

Very strange how they put the position of the triggers for the trailers at the Gas Station:
[ external image ]
Study will not always make you wise, sometimes it will simply make you more superb.
VTXcnME

#234 Post by VTXcnME » 28 Jun 2022 21:33

@seriousmods can't argue with any of those points.

I am happy I have a different prefab to haul behind my truck again. I hauled box trailers for a while, got bored as you're hauling..... invisibleness. Moved to the flat bed trailers for a while, got tired of the repetitive cargo. Moved to the low boys. Then back to boxes. Eventually to step decks for a half a second.

Now I can reinvigorate myself with a tanker. :D :D

I am hoping (and like you said, it stupid we should have to hope) we can pick up at refineries and deliver to gas stations around the map. I am hoping there is diversity of deliveries across the map with the trailer update.

I am secretly hoping at some point there are at least vehicle loading animations instead of black screen with a orange/yellow fill bar. It wouldn't fix the issue with invisible box trailer cargo, but at least you'd feel like you were hauling *SOMETHING*.

I have the trailer stability set at normal not maxed out, and noticed the trailer roll and pitch when I'm driving (especially if I'm going to fast into a corner). Hauling the 123,000lb transformer, I can see the load leaning left and right as I travel the interstate with it. If I drive over a curb, I see the rear tires bump up over and down off them again.
Last edited by VTXcnME on 28 Jun 2022 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
actros aaron

#235 Post by actros aaron » 28 Jun 2022 21:36

Hmm I'm not expecting deliverable fuel stations but I'd take that over sloshing effect in the tankers any day....one of my pet peeves of the games are cargoes..like delivering tankers of milk to grocery stores..
Optional Features

#236 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 21:39

The Dude wrote: 28 Jun 2022 21:31 "So a fuel tanker handles the exact same as a van trailer full of pallets?"

No it does not, I drove a tanker back in the 80's, doesn't matter if the tank has baffles or not, you feel the weight shift when driving. That's why you have to have a tanker endorsement to drive one. Some dry van drivers sometimes need a tanker endorsement to haul wet containers, the more endorsements you have the better.
Thank you! I might not know everything, but I know this much. Every trailer in an SCS game handles the same regardless of cargo. That's not realistic.
seriousmods wrote: 28 Jun 2022 20:59 In a dreamworld, the new fuel tankers would feel different when loaded: there would be a sloshing effect when stopping, and they would require cornering more slowly.
This is backed up by facts. No technology can stop a fluid from moving entirely. It only reduces the effect.

Last edited by Optional Features on 28 Jun 2022 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Optional Features

#237 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 21:41

VTXcnME wrote: 28 Jun 2022 21:33 @seriousmods can't argue with any of those points.

I am happy I have a different prefab to haul behind my truck again. I hauled box trailers for a while, got bored as you're hauling..... invisibleness. Moved to the flat bed trailers for a while, got tired of the repetitive cargo. Moved to the low boys. Then back to boxes. Eventually to step decks for a half a second.

Now I can reinvigorate myself with a tanker. :D :D

I am hoping (and like you said, it stupid we should have to hope) we can pick up at refineries and deliver to gas stations around the map. I am hoping there is diversity of deliveries across the map with the trailer update.
It's the little things like this that would make playing this game for hours on end much more enjoyable. Invisible cargo is one thing. Invisible cargo picked up from a limited number of locations and delivered to an even more limited number of drops is another.

They do look like nice models, and I'm sure I'll use one eventually (probably in Alaska), but that's not saying much. Most of SCS's trailers are nice looking.
Optional Features

#238 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 21:53

Here's one more video demonstrating the differences between a smooth bore and a baffled tank trailer. The difference in slosh using scientific analysis was 28%, not 100%. Better, but still an effect.
supersobes
Global moderator

#239 Post by supersobes » 28 Jun 2022 21:53

danbywinby wrote: 28 Jun 2022 20:14 Where are these deliverable fuel stations located?
The one that I was delivering to was the truck stop in Baker City, Oregon off I-84.
flight50

#240 Post by flight50 » 29 Jun 2022 00:05

I honestly don't understand how one can expect to feel weight of sloshing or even wind in a video game that is played on standard pc's in our homes. That level of physics is far beyond what the game is currently about. This is a $20 game that happen to make some waves, not a professional sim. Call it defending SCS if you wish but sometimes just aren't practical for the current mode of game play. Hardcore perhaps if that every comes. I'm not saying don't add it because I can careless, but what's the valve in it for 90% of players? How do you feel weight with a keyboard or controller?

The complaints would still come that feedback isn't realistic. Its a keyboard/mouse/gamepad, how could you. A rumble or vibration does not equal real life physics or media in a semi. There are simplier things that can get implement that we can feel much better impact than something this complicated to duplicate. Not everything in real life translates.

Return to “General discussion about the game”