If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

1:35
2%
1:20
22%
1:15
19%
1:10
42%
1:5
8%
1:1
8%

Total votes: 212

Calibuddy99

#1 Post by Calibuddy99 » 28 Jun 2022 06:01

If you made this game, which of the scale options would you choose? If the option you would make it doesn't appear, make a reply on what it is.
Nothing to say here anymore.
Optional Features

Re: If you were the developer, what scale would you make the map?

#2 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 06:27

I would do twice as much room between cities as current. Open up for room for bigger farms, truckstops, distribution centers, windmill sites, etc. And geographically/road design wise, it would allow for more proper mountain passes, longer curves, longer freeway ramps, and more spacious plains.
Calibuddy99

#3 Post by Calibuddy99 » 28 Jun 2022 06:52

@seriousmods Yeah, that is the ideal design to me. Freeway ramp have always been a problem in this game. They have never been long enough at all. The original ramps were short enough to where the cars would always stop. Which would get on my nerves every time. Sometimes that still happens. If they could just fix the Ai, then everything traffic related in this game would be better. I've also noticed that the AI does not notice that you are there until they are super close to you. So they would often turn in front of you at a red light if they were turning right. That is really annoying. Now the freeway ramps have never had the AI do what it does in real life. In real life quite a few of the cars would merge out of the way to let people on. But in the game, with the current ramp designs, they come to nearly a complete stop to let some one in front of them, And then continue. If enough of the cars would merge out of the way in this game, that would be great. I usually do unless no one is there. I sometimes brake check the AI behind me when merging left so the AI car can merge without messing with the other cars for a few seconds longer. I like to do that sometimes since I always have brake strength at maximum and it sometimes really does help with the merging.
Nothing to say here anymore.
Optional Features

#4 Post by Optional Features » 28 Jun 2022 06:58

Yeah, I just like the extra room to slow down. I'm running a heavy weight cargo mod now, and I need appropriate braking distances. Makes things challenging, but enjoyable at the same time.
Tristman

#5 Post by Tristman » 28 Jun 2022 08:07

I’m happy with the current scale.

I don’t live in the US, so I’m not bothered by places not looking as I know them irl, or certain things being cut out (unless it’s roads that really make sense from a trucker’s perspective).
I would also like to see the game completed at some point, which would probably not happen in the next 30 years on a higher scale.
For my enjoyment (maybe couple of hours of playing per week, more around DLC release), the current scale is just right.
Underscore_101_

#6 Post by Underscore_101_ » 28 Jun 2022 09:06

With the current areas in ATS I'm perfectly fine with the current scale.
I agree about on and off ramps, they could use some more space, enough to keep the AI from stopping on them before they join the highway.

But for a larger scale you need denser areas, so maybe in some areas on the east coast a 1:10 scale would be nicer to get more detail and more cities (not cramped together)

In ETS2 there are/were some nice 1:1 or 1:2 scale maps mods that I really liked driving on, specially the one for NL because that's a country build for a larger scale map (and I also happened to live/work/drive a lot in that area)

Anyhoo, imho in ATS the landscape is too vast and driving 1:1 or even 1:5 would be a drag, at least for me and the way I play the game.
If you're not like me and like to play this game for hours and hours and only quit when you fall asleep or the wife starts poisoning your coffee, then it doesn't really matter what scale the map is.
The_SimTrucker

#7 Post by The_SimTrucker » 28 Jun 2022 09:12

The current scale (and time tricks) work fine for me. This is still a game and not full time job, I'm not waiting to spend 8 hours driving a route in a 1:1 scale map.
Davina

#8 Post by Davina » 28 Jun 2022 09:51

1:1. Let's do this properly.
SageTDS

#9 Post by SageTDS » 28 Jun 2022 13:49

It depends on the region. In the Great Plains I'm fine with it being 1:20. But in most of the country I would like it to be 1:10. In the Northeast, where I live, I would enjoy 1:5. Lots of space needed to truly represent what the Megalopolis is like.
VTXcnME

#10 Post by VTXcnME » 28 Jun 2022 17:16

I believe 1:15 would be a better sweet spot between time and spacing.

at 1:5 or 1:1 a 1,000 mile job is going to take what, 10, 12 hours IRL to complete? That's alienating I'm gonna guess over 95% of users. Even 500 mile jobs are going to take all day.

I think 1:15 is a good compromise between time to complete longer mileage jobs and having more room for better geography and cityscape. Long grade climbs would be better represented.

But: all of this is 100% academic, because at this size of the current map I seriously doubt SCS will rescale. Despite the need.

Return to “General discussion about the game”